Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey All,

Just wanted to say thanks to the entire crew who hosted the convention this year. Y'all (that's Kentucky speak) worked your butts off for a long time, and it showed. Too many to name, and I'm sure I don't even know everybody involved, but special thanks to George, Enrique, John, Bud, Mark, and Dave. And please pass along my thanks to the rest of the crew.

John, you are a hoot. That whole black/white Spider thing almost has me sitting here looking at mine with a white can of spray paint in my hand. Han Solo?

And Bud, those trophies are freaking amazing.

Thanks to all of you for a job well done!

bs

·
Registered
4,638 Posts
Just leaving Lexington this a.m. to head out for our flight out of Indy.

I'd like to echo Brian's thoughts about the convention in Kentucky. The convention team was dedicated beyond the close of the convention with the Awards Luncheon. Both co-chairs and other instrumental people in making the convention happen attended Arrivederchi Lexington and were still planning their post convention conference calls to discuss what could have been done better and what didn't go exactly as planned to be able to share with future convention chair-persons.

Attendance was around 410; most of the problems that I noticed and heard discussed, the convention team addressed, but there was a lack of hotel staff follow-through. There were some problems with food delivery and meals beyond the special orders.

The track event was less well attended than previous conventions because of the distance from the convention hotel. But on the upside, it was well-handled and controlled both by the track officials at Putnam and by the convention staff, with special thanks to Mark Highbaugh for his excellent coordination of events and scheduling. It was a small group where you were not overwhelmed with trying to get where you belonged on time and watching continuously for moving vehicles in the parking areas.

The theme of the black vs. white spiders was carried throughout the convention, even into the awards luncheon with various comments. There were some smaller competitions as an out-spring of that bigger well-advertised fast white spiders and black slow spiders.

The Concours was an integrated field of club cars from the various marques with the actual Keeneland entries, which were well signed with recognizable stands. Tons of people walking the grounds and enjoying the cars, some often not seen unless you attend high-end concours regularly. A highlight for me was watching the horses being hooked up to the Wells Fargo stagecoach and drive-off.

Overall, a very enjoyable and excellent convention experience. Toronto has had the bar set for them.

·
Premium Member
27,373 Posts
Me three to Kudos that Gordy and Cheryl have already expressed. Convention and Concours was just amazin!

Really enjoyed getting to share conversations with John Duncan and so so many other people.

·
Registered
325 Posts
A big "thank you" to George (and I'm sure Dee helped) and Enrique and all the others who put this event together. I was there for just Thursday night and Friday, but was impressed by how well organized everything was...took alot of work to get that result!

Do wish George had made the autocross course more open--was hard to get the Z06 through one of the crossovers with any speed at all--but it was an Alfa convention and not a Corvette convention, so I really have no leg to stand on...the course did flow very well, and in a rather confined space at that.

·
Registered
6,087 Posts
Well, I'm still trying to catch up to what's been going on while we were concentrating on the 2011 Convention, but I want to let all of you who have posted and sent us e-mails know that we sincerely appreciate all the comments and thanks! Of course, conventions require dedication and work, but it was fabulous and a lot of fun to have all of you share this experience with us. All of you are the reason why we so much enjoy getting together, and we had a blast! All of you are great friends and as has always been my experience at conventions, they are filled with great memories. We'll be wrapping up with some articles for the Owner, the financial report, and some lessons learned, but it was a great experience for us, and we'll be looking forward to next year's get together in Toronto!

Best regards,

·
Premium Member
3,655 Posts
Thanks Brian,

It is especially rewarding to read the many complimentary BB threads and posts for our convention. I just doubled the pay for everyone involved in Alfas in the Bluegrass.

For us, it's not over yet. We will be working to complete the many post-convention activities that are needed to complete the process. Our convention conference calls resume tonight, and the Keeneland Concours review meeting is this Thursday.

Hey All,

Just wanted to say thanks to the entire crew who hosted the convention this year. Y'all (that's Kentucky speak) worked your butts off for a long time, and it showed. Too many to name, and I'm sure I don't even know everybody involved, but special thanks to George, Enrique, John, Bud, Mark, and Dave. And please pass along my thanks to the rest of the crew.

John, you are a hoot. That whole black/white Spider thing almost has me sitting here looking at mine with a white can of spray paint in my hand. Han Solo?

And Bud, those trophies are freaking amazing.

Thanks to all of you for a job well done!

bs

·
Registered
3,267 Posts
George -
If you see your buddy, Dan, from Stuttgart Motors - Give him MANY thanks from the two guys from Washington driving the Spider from Michigan - Those folks were EXCELLENT to us. Dunno if we steered any more customers their way though.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts