Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,830 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK so is anyone else besides me looking forward to the soon to come day when US citizens may openly travel to Cuba as a tourist again? Not only is a daiquiri or two at El Floridita and a few Cuban Manhattans at a shameless tourist show at the Tropicana on my bucket list, I wonder how many wonderful old Alfas are cruising the streets of Havana that can be bought at a good price before the American tourist bow wave hits?

·
Premium Member
961 Posts
OK so is anyone else besides me looking forward to the soon to come day when US citizens may openly travel to Cuba as a tourist again? Not only is a daiquiri or two at El Floridita and a few Cuban Manhattans at a shameless tourist show at the Tropicana on my bucket list, I wonder how many wonderful old Alfas are cruising the streets of Havana that can be bought at a good price before the American tourist bow wave hits?
Cuba had 70's period Alfas and Fiats. Aside from that, don't expect to hit the jackpot with significant period Alfas since engines were turned into hog meet and plantain banana grinders and the remnants of the cars were lost to the salty Cuban breeze.

·
Registered
5,986 Posts
Colin Crabbe got there 40 years ago while everyone else was busy with Russkie-watching. Google his story if you've never heard of him ...

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
Somewhere in this forum there are recent photos of a 750 Spider that a Cuban is struggling to get running. Couldn't find it this morning.

I have traveled to Cuba a few times and have had rides in some of their old US cars, many of which are now used as taxis. It is quite something the first time you see a 1953 Chevy drive by and hear a 4 cylinder diesel engine, complete with 5 speed column shift conversion. Some cars have kept their original drivetrains, but many have been converted to whatever was available. And they all have a ''loose'' feeling. I wonder how tight those ball joints are... I've never seen one of these cars run over 30 mph.

Lots of ingenuity here, but hardly any originality. A broken windshield may have been replaced by two flat panes of glass, and a 57 Chev may be running on modern mags sent by a cousin in Miami. I once saw photos of an Aston DB24 in La Havana; from the steel bolt on wheels it was suspected that the thing was just a body running on a US frame.

Don't expect to find anything worth bringing back; anyways the local prices are in the $10,000 range for anything decent and running, Ladas included.

·
Registered
2,026 Posts
I read somewhere that Fidel Castro shares our passion for the Alfas.

·
Registered
491 Posts
this photo could be some evidence.

But the true story seems to be that Cuba used a fleet of Alfas to replace the 1958 Ford Fairlanes which had served their secret police for 15 years. Castro writes in his autobiography that 'these did not last very well so they were exchanged after 6 or 7 years for some Sowjet Ladas'.

Well, what can we say.....

Attachments

1 - 8 of 8 Posts