Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody here own and turn wrenches on both?
Which do you like more and why?

Personally I break it down like so;
'99 LR disco 2
Daily driver, rebuilt the moter twice, lifted and customized it, can go anywhere any time except my garage or any parking ramps
'95 LR range rover classic long wheel base
Weekend driver (still stock), night out on the town, can hand the keys to a vallet, and fits in the parking ramps at the airport.
'87 AR spider grad
Fell in love with them in 1987, got it as a basket case project car last winter, just got it running, only one in town, and I'm the only one in the family that can drive a stick!

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
The RR Classic LWB was perhaps the nicest incarnation of the model in the original Monteverdi-styled shape. Lovely car.

As far as a lot of RR owners twirling spanners on Alfas, I dont know.

·
Senior TEXAS member
1,526 Posts
Owned a '69 Rover 2000 TC for about 4 years from '73-'77. Thats the Monty Python British Police Car.
Had 45K on it when I traded a VW SquareBack for it, and drove it through 3 countries putting an additional 100K on it.
Rebuilt the head in an unheated garage in Nova Scotia during the winter of '75, and replaced the front wheel bearings on the side of the road at 10,000 ft in Colorado.
Drove it through New Mexico/Mexico deserts in the summer and ice and snow in Canada in the winter. Never let me down until the end.
My 1st experience with the Dedeon rear suspension...loved it and loved that car.
One hell of a 4 door touring sedan!!

·
Registered
312 Posts
Rover TC's

My first one was a 1967, which my wife wanted and bought while I was still in 'Nam. Picked it up at Long Beach, CA. Did not really care for it since it was replacing my 1965 GT which I left her with. Then I had to drive that sucker with all my tools, enough stuff to set up housekeeping from San Diego to Greenville, SC. By the time I arrived there, after driving thru the mountains and all those roads back in 1968, I was deeply in Love with that car. Ended up with a '68 and the last one was a 1969. But it rolled out of the drive way, unassisted, was T-boned and scrapped. Still like those 200TC.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I own a GTV6 race car and tow it with a 2000 Range Rover. RR is an excellent tow vehicle. With the air suspension it is much more stable than the Dodge long wheel base truck I used to tow with. I work on both cars. Untily recently, the RR was super reliable... partially age and partially my fault. The GTV6 has been a super car too. It is getting faster and faster as I sort out the car and the driver ;-). I really can't say I prefer one over the other as they are used for completely different reasons. At this time, both are keepers. As my family grows, I have my eyes on a LR3.

Colin

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
:cool:I've owned a 1970 Rover 3500S for 32 years..HIGHLY MODIFIED...unrestored original
California car...3rd. owner....Working on it is not too difficult; the BIG problem is finding
parts...[if you thought finding parts for an Alfa was at times a difficult task...finding
parts for a Rover is a JOURNEY]. My 2 Alfas ['71 GTV and '82 Spider] are not bad, but
a bit more idioscyncratic in 'balancing' all the mechanics out[IMO]. It's hard to compare
the different 'marks' - they are really two different approaches to auto construction/
driving chacteristics/maintenance/pitfalls and pleasures.
They are like my children....not the same, but loved equally for what they are and what
they are not...but the funny thing is, that I would [if I had to] sell my Alfas before I'd
sell that bloody Rover! Please don't think of me as being "sacreligous" in the eyes of all
the 'Alfisti' out there....it is just the length of ownership and 'bonding' incured has
'prejudiced' my opinions...Ed K.
(They may just be cars...but they are CHARACTERS):):):)

·
Registered
461 Posts
Have a '96 RR 4.0 with 70,000 miles. Very stock. Interior like it rolled off the showroom floor. Exterior about as mint as a '96 can be. Has Oldman Emu shocks and spring conversion. Just put new cat back on and changed fluids. Was out in Palm Desert in these 40 MPH winds this past weekend. Drives wonderful in high winds.Great machine. Definitely easier to work on than Alfa... Don't need the ramps!!! Pat, Hope all in well for you in Fallbrook with the fires everywhere. Take care down there....

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
OK, I admit it, the title of this thread intrigued me.
I expected that the reference to Rover actually meant Range Rover but since others have admitted to owning them...
My first Rover was a 2000 SC; think 2000 TC but dragging a boat anchor. I opted for the Rover over an XK 140 roadster.:eek: Hey! It was much more practical for commuting to school after weekends at home attempting to coerce young Crumpets into those reclining leather seats. Scored a piston @ 2AM in Kitty Hawk, NC enroute to a diving expedition. Hitch-hiked home (750 miles); bought a $10 junkyard piston and a new head gasket, hitch-hiked back and repaired it in a local garage; drove back to school. Replaced that engine after another six months of commuting and sold the car.
Not having learned my lesson, I bought a 2000 TC for $140; replaced the hydraulic clutch cylinders and drove that car for six years. Of course I also played with a number of ALFA's until I bought my first Duetto - that one I still have.
Somehow a 3500S followed me home about ten years ago; it had been sleeping for 25 years in a Doctor’s garage. Don’t quite know why but it still resides in my driveway.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
OK, I admit it, the title of this thread intrigued me.
I expected that the reference to Rover actually meant Range Rover but since others have admitted to owning them...
My first Rover was a 2000 SC; think 2000 TC but dragging a boat anchor. I opted for the Rover over an XK 140 roadster.:eek: Hey! It was much more practical for commuting to school after weekends at home attempting to coerce young Crumpets into those reclining leather seats. Scored a piston @ 2AM in Kitty Hawk, NC enroute to a diving expedition. Hitch-hiked home (750 miles); bought a $10 junkyard piston and a new head gasket, hitch-hiked back and repaired it in a local garage; drove back to school. Replaced that engine after another six months of commuting and sold the car.
Not having learned my lesson, I bought a 2000 TC for $140; replaced the hydraulic clutch cylinders and drove that car for six years. Of course I also played with a number of ALFA's until I bought my first Duetto - that one I still have.
Somehow a 3500S followed me home about ten years ago; it had been sleeping for 25 years in a Doctor’s garage. Don’t quite know why but it still resides in my driveway.
GTD: So what are your plans for that sleepy 3500S ? I've got some ideas
that MAY intrigue you [and me].......Ed K.:cool:

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Bought my Land Rover Series IIA, from the factory, in 1966. I still have the 'old broad'...as I type she's in Orlando being retro-fitted w/all Range Rover running gear--V8, Trans, etc. I've also swapped out the stock brakes for Range Rover 4 wheel discs. Hopefully the LRover will be on the road soon! We've been through some pretty wild times over the past 41 years---I could never sell the old girl, I'll most likely be buried in it!

I first had an Alfa Duetta back in the late 1970s. I bought it out in the 'valley' in L.A. While driving it home on the 405 Freeway some lunatic started chasing me & followed me all the way to my driveway in Manhattan Beach...he came bounding out of his Mercedes waving his check book & bellowing: "name your price!!!". I explained I'd just picked up the Alfa, w/in the last hour & a half, & she wasn't for sale---didn't work. He offered me $7500 for a car I'd just paid $3500 for & I handed him the keys! Last November I finally got around to replacing THAT Alfa w/my 91 Spider--it was worth the wait, I'm loving this Series 4! Can't keep me out of it!

Regards

·
Registered
812 Posts
My wife's daily driver is a 2000 Disco 4.0 which we bought will 11k miles on it and it now has 148k on it. It has done its job pretty well. It has hauled Alfa parts cars and projects around (and even a Triumph TR3) despite being somewhat gutless. It has been up to its axles in mud numerous times back in the days when my wife (a Power Plant Engineer) was working on the construction of the plant. It never got stuck, while lots of good ol' boys in crew cab duelies were getting winched out of the mud with a D-9.

It is a funny vehicle that had all sorts of problems while it was under warranty, but since that expired it has been pretty reliable for a vehicle with that many miles on it. Funny thing is that it replaced a 95 Range Rover 4.0 that we bought used with 75k miles on it. At 100k miles we get this recall notice about the hoses and clamps potentially failing and leading to catastrophic engine damage. By this time the hoses had been replaced numerous times, but I thought "hey, new free hoses". I got the recall done, and you guessed it, the very next day one of the "new and improved" hose clamps let go (upper coolant hose) and the car overheated. Got it towed back to the dealer, they replaced all of them again, looked for engine damage and said all was fine. The next day (you guessed it again) the lower "new and improved hose" failed and this time we had "catastrophic engine damage". The dealer said they would replace the motor, but we were thinking if they can't get a hose on right...:eek: They gave us a good deal on the Disco and 7 years later it is still in the garage.

Is this what they mean by "getting hosed"?:D
Arno Leskinen
AROC-USA National Concours Chair

1 - 12 of 12 Posts