Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
These pictures were taken a few years back at European Classics and Sports Cars in Richmond, Va. All of the cars pictured were restored in full or in part by A. Baze and E.T. Tucker with the exception of the 1966 Mercedes Benz 230 SL and the 1966 Alfa Romeo Sprint Speciale which S. Burnett worked on with A. Baze. The 1962 FIAT-Abarth 1000 GT Bialbero, the 1964 Abarth Simca 1300 GT Corsa, and the FIAT-Abarth 850 TC replica were all full restorations. The 1966 Mercedes Benz 230SL was a full cosmetic restoration (body/paint/interior and top). The 1966 Alfa Romeo Sprint Speciale was in for a full drive-train, brake, and suspension rebuild (while everything was off, the engine bay and undercarriage were stripped and repainted as well). The Alfa Romeo GTA Jr. was in for a partial respray. Some of you may recognize the GTA Jr. At the time this picture was taken, the car was being raced regularly and after a few seasons was due to have the front end touched up!

A few weeks after the picture of the 1964 Abarth Simca 1300 GT Corsa was taken it participated in the Amelia Island Concours and took third place in class. This was the year that Abarth was the featured marque. Shortly after the show, the car changed hands and went to England where it was set-up for track use and serviced by Middle Barton Garage (more pictures on their website). This car has been featured in Auto Italia magazine two times, once on the cover! There are numerous pictures of this car floating around the internet. It currently resides in Japan.

If interested, I can post more pictures of these cars or of other cars including GTA Jr.'s, Maseratis, Abarths, and numerous Alfas that E.T. Tucker and I restored or serviced.

The 1964 Abarth Simca 1300 GT Corsa and the 1962 FIAT-Abarth 1000 GT Bialbero as well as my current restoration project, a 1965 Alfa Romeo GTA Stradale, are my favorite cars I have ever had the pleasure of working on. I'd like to thank the owners of these cars for allowing me this privilege :)

Attachments

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
more pics... 1962 FIAT-Abarth 1000 GT Bialbero

This car was owned by Briggs Cunningham and raced at Sebring in 1962. Cunningham owned three cars, numbers 7,8, and 9 which were raced by himself, Roger Penske, and Bruce McLaren. I believe this car was driven by Penske if memory serves me correctly. This was my favorite car I have ever restored! An amazing little car with wonderful detail, a real jewel!

Attachments

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
1964 Abarth Simca 1300 GT Corsa

To the best of my knowledge, there are roughly two dozen Abarth Simca's left and of that number only about half have the correct engines and transmissions. It was a very rare experience to be able to restore this car. I have worked on Alfas for over half of my life and they and the Alfa community have treated me very well, but the Abarths that I have been lucky enough to work on are by far my favorites!

Attachments

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Slight correction on the FIAT-Abarth 1000 GT... I'm too young to have memory problems, but I should have identified the car as a '61 not a '62. Production was in '61 and its sister car is identified as a '61. Just thought I'd correct this for those of you that are sticklers about facts!

·
Registered
208 Posts
The smashing 1000GT! The car won its Class at 2002 Pebble and I'm privileged to own 2 cars of the very same Class, the '55 Bandini Siluro and the '53 Giaur Champion. The Bandini came 3rd in Class. Back then, Mark Gessler owned the car. If my memore serves me well, it was sold by Bonhams back in 2010(?) for $317.000 and it now resides in the Fred P collection, right? I am about to finish the restoration of my Abarth Simca 1300 Corsa kammtail and yes, I do have the correct engine. So our taste in cars is very similar I'd say! Thanks for the lovely photos, the Abarths are to die for (I also own a Double Bubble and a Record Monza so I guess I qualify for an Abarth nut!)

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Alexfreda, I believe the car you are thinking of from 2002 is possibly the number 8 car that was owned by and may still be owned by Mr. Gessler or possibly Mr. Paris and was restored in California. I received some interior photos from Mr. Paris when I redid this one. These cars seem to change hands in a fairly small circle. This particular car I restored was done for a gentleman in New England and in 2002 it was not in show condition. If my memory is correct, it was in the southeast being raced occasionally. The man I restored it for bought it and had it delivered directly to my shop. When I received it it was certainly not in any type of show condition that could have placed at Pebble Beach. I redid two other cars for the gentleman that owns this 1000GT and as of my last conversation with him he still owned it. One of the other Abarths I redid for him sold not too long ago, the '63 1000GT that holds the land speed record. It's the red car with the yellow flash on the left front, #63. I'm fairly certain you're thinking of another car... Look closely at the 2002 pictures from the show and I believe you will see car #8, the sister car to this one. The other sister car was #9 and I'm uncertain where it is. I'd enjoy seeing pictures of your cars. We do have similar taste in machinery and most likely a few friends in common.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Bonhams 1793 : The Ex-Bruce McLaren Briggs Cunningham Team Sebring 3-Hours winning,1961 Fiat-Abarth 1000 Bialbero Competition Coupe Chassis no. 1128948 Engine no. 229/235
So this is #8, I was indeed confused, they look very similar indeed! Greg Paris (a good friend and most knowledgeable Abarth and Lotus Elite guy) has died a few years ago and Mark Gessler is no longer the owner of #8. It is now in Canada, if I have the correct info. And I also think that the 1000GT of your client is part of the Canadian collection as well which includes some truly fabulous cars.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts