Alfa Romeo Forums banner

161 - 175 of 175 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #161
The removable tunnel should make access much easier. It will have a good level of sound deadening and carpet, but I will make it removable (probably with press studs) so that it can be accessed for servicing.

·
Registered
110 Posts
You sir, are a mad scientist, but I say that as a compliment. With the steering rack & column from Toyota, there’s very little Alfa 105 left, other than sheet metal. Steering defines the car for some people. So maybe change the name to toyalfaferrari or alferraritoy.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #165
You sir, are a mad scientist, but I say that as a compliment. With the steering rack & column from Toyota, there’s very little Alfa 105 left, other than sheet metal. Steering defines the car for some people. So maybe change the name to toyalfaferrari or alferraritoy.
I am definitely not the first to change to a steering rack, and even though I have changed it, the suspension geometry is all the same just the method is different. Either way, the car will also have 3 times the factory power, so it will generally feel quite a bit different to the original ;)

·
Registered
299 Posts
Great build here Jeff, I am diggin' it all the way and learn a lot I might add. I like your can do attitude! The car wreckers and second hand parts business is really a supermarket for builders doing modified cars, I never looked at them that way prior.
Tim

·
Registered
299 Posts
BTW there is an Adelaide 2600 Sprint with a rack and pinion steering set up that I saw on this site a couple of years ago. That car was built for Targa Tasmania rally.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #170
BTW there is an Adelaide 2600 Sprint with a rack and pinion steering set up that I saw on this site a couple of years ago. That car was built for Targa Tasmania rally.
Colin Byrne converted his Targa car to a rack several years ago. Some people are annoyed that I am not using all Alfa or Ferrari parts, but they fail to see that with this sort of build you need availability. Toyota parts meant that I could mix and match from several different cars to get the parts I needed to fit my car.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #171
I am finally up to that stage on the Alfarrari, to see if I can actually make an exhaust manifold, and not just any manifold. One that can actually fit in the tiny space I have available.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #172
I am back working on the Alfarrari's headers this week, and see if I can actually make them fit the car.

·
Registered
740 Posts
Hi mate love the work your doing, just want to suggest you might need to weld around the suspension points to add a bit of strength. They have been known to crack up and break spot welds, with less power than your putting, into a little ole GTV..
P.S. Love the rack gives me ideas, as I'm thinking of putting a quad cam v6 Busso into a Berlina and that ball and worm gets in the road of everything, hey. Regards John

·
Registered
723 Posts
Ciao Jeff,
You’re created a lot of pain points with the front end working with the original front chassis!
Any reason why you didn’t just do away with the whole front end and build a complete tubular chassis cradle to accomodate the Ferrari engine and components and then attach the fenders and front end, similar to the Toyota 86 conversion I sent earlier in this thread.
Lastly, knowing the NSW road registration BS are you going to be able to drive this car on the road? as power to weight ratio will be more than a F4O which is unregistable!
Saluti
Sergio

161 - 175 of 175 Posts