Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 112 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I have teased the details of this engine swap for a while, and I have finally done it. I am putting a Ferrari engine in my Alfa 105. As such I thought it deserved starting a new thread with a title that better describes it.

This may annoy some of you as I have not chosen an Alfa engine for this build and it is not going to be an original matching numbers restoration. I can appreciate those builds and if that is your thing, more power to you. For me, unless the car is particularly rare or special, it doesn't really get me excited. I build cars for me and this is going to be just that. I think it will be an absolute blast, and if you can get on board with that hopefully you will enjoy this build along with me.

Here is a link to the original thread before I announced the engine.

https://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/gt-1963-1977/680560-home-built-jeff-73-gtv-video-build.html

·
Premium Member
303 Posts
I'm looking forward to seeing the fabrication required to get that thing in! It will be mental :)

I think you would be surprised how quick a 105 would be with a Dino engine though.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Like others, I'm very curious to see how this plays out and commend you for your courage. Will be fun to watch from the sidelines!!

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
As Bigmart has said, if it gets to the stage when these cars are that rare, it will not take a crazy amount for a future custodian to make this original again. In fact it will take a lot less work than 99% of these cars that are completely rusted away.

I have been planning this for a while and I will be working with the engineer the whole way so it will be all road legal. It is not worth the effort of building it if I can only take it to the track.

I fully realise that this is extreme for this little car, but I think it will be fun and a real challenge for me which is what I look for with each project I do.

If you hate it, I kind of understand, but for those who are interested I would love your assistance when I need it. As the collective knowledge is what I think forums are all about.

·
Super Moderator
9,990 Posts
If you hate it, I kind of understand, but for those who are interested I would love your assistance when I need it. As the collective knowledge is what I think forums are all about.
The majority of BB members (myself included) love projects like this. Putting a Ferrari engine into a 1930's 8C2900 might be a different story, but a '73 GTV 2000's isn't all that rare a vehicle.

Sadly, we do have some haters here. BB etiquette is supposed to be "if you can't say something constructive, then just say nothing at all", but not everyone follows that.

Keep the photos and videos coming and let us know if we can assist.

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
I’d have been inclined to grab the Guila QV donk.. on brand and engineered by Ferrari.

Given the amount of cutting required to make this fit, is it going in the front or mid mount?

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I’d have been inclined to grab the Guila QV donk.. on brand and engineered by Ferrari.

Given the amount of cutting required to make this fit, is it going in the front or mid mount?
Definitely front mounted. I will be tight, but I am hoping I won't have to cut out a crazy amount to get it to fit. The V6's go in and this being a V8 is a similar width to the V6, just 4 cylinders long instead of 3 if you get my meaning.

·
Registered
2,939 Posts
I think it is fun to build a GTV hot rod and what type of suspension will you use on this car. I restore Giulietta cars to original condition and repair classic sports cars like my friend's 507 BMW. I know someone who has built a giant VW Convertible on a truck chassis and has many custom hot rods that you have to see to believe it. I really thought about buying Ferrari cars in the 1970's and did not like how the Ferraris handled. I thought about buying Ferraris again recently and will probably buy a Giulia QV Coupe instead. I recently drove a Stelvio QV and it goes fast and like it very much. I know that Ferrari cars are much more exotic than Alfas and have a much different following.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Jeff, you are a complete beast. Excited that you are a member of the AlfaBB. I have been subscribed to your YouTube channel for a long time. It is really, really well done. I am so looking forward to seeing how you squeeze this in there, and particularly what sort of structural reinforcements need to be done as you go along. Is the idea to use as much of the Ferrari driveline as possible? Can't possibly imagine a stock 105 transmission dealing with the torque...?

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Is the idea to use as much of the Ferrari driveline as possible? Can't possibly imagine a stock 105 transmission dealing with the torque...?
I am aiming to have the engine being the only Ferrari part, due to cost and the fact, like I mention in the video, the transaxle will not work in the 105. I will go into more detail of what I am planning in the future.

·
Registered
473 Posts
I am aiming to have the engine being the only Ferrari part, due to cost and the fact, like I mention in the video, the transaxle will not work in the 105. I will go into more detail of what I am planning in the future.
Lol, just finished your video and saw your explanation regarding gearbox, and before I could edit my post you beat me to it with your quick reply! :) I am blown away at the amount of inventory in that shop!!!

·
Registered
2,939 Posts
I like your idea about building custom cars to suit your purpose. I know many car collectors and they enjoy having their cars and that is a good hobby. I used to race Alfas and many friends raced cars in the past and your experiences are your own. I enjoy your love of cars and have fun because life is short especially for old people like me. I was replacing all of the front suspension hydraulic seals in my friend's car. He bought the car more than forty years ago for the price of a new Datsun 240Z.

Attachments

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I like your idea about building custom cars to suit your purpose. I know many car collectors and they enjoy having their cars and that is a good hobby. I used to race Alfas and many friends raced cars in the past and your experiences are your own. I enjoy your love of cars and have fun because life is short especially for old people like me. I was replacing all of the front suspension hydraulic seals in my friend's car. He bought the car more than forty years ago for the price of a new Datsun 240Z.
That is a very nice rare beast!

1 - 20 of 112 Posts