Alfa Romeo Forums banner

61 - 80 of 92 Posts

·
Push hard and live
9,200 Posts
Three old pilots walking together on a sunny day.

First one says "Sure is windy!"

Second says "I reckon it's Thursday!"

Third says "Yeah, I could go for a drink."

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
Many people run that set up, search on the ABB, you should find many threads on the subject. Also look at builds and Alfas for sale and you can see that set up on some cars. Stock with stinger is not noisy if the front and middle sections are in good shape. I have used stingers for years.

·
Premium Member
13,510 Posts
Stock with stinger is not noisy if the front and middle sections are in good shape. I have used stingers for years
Which reveals the degree of noise reduction in the cat converter. The exhaust noise from my Spider was obnoxious with no cat, a stock center resonator and a Stinger. It is now less noisy with no cat, no center resonator and a Borla straight through muffler at the rear.

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
Make your life easy, assuming you have the stock 1600/1750/2000 cast iron manifold. Buy from Centerline the stock front and center sections. They are both straight through resonators or mufflers as some call them. Also I would recommend the GTA stinger as it is .25'' larger pipe. If your front or center are OK save $ and buy only the OE section you need. If both are OK just get the stinger. With brand new front and center it will be reasonably quite. With 1 resonator only it will be a lot louder, with 2 worn out resonators similar to 1 new/good, a lot louder.

·
Registered
4,162 Posts
For what it's worth, my 1300 Super ran for years with a cast-iron stock manifold, stock front and center section exhaust and a stinger tail-pipe. It sounded great (even strangers said so) and, yet, wasn't intrusive at speed on the highway.

The Brits have a phrase for loud, bratty exhausts---"boy racer"---which is not at all a compliment.

When I built my hot-rod 2 liter we installed the Alfaholics exhaust mainly for performance purposes. Even though this is the same system Max and Andrew use on their race cars, it isn't race-car loud (some of the tracks they run on in the UK have noise restrictions). The result of some careful real-world tuning, the AH system has a definite "Alfa presence" that's a bit louder than the stock system w/stinger but is in no way annoying---inside the car or out. At speed on the highway, the cabin is as quiet as as a stock Super but under hard acceleration it lets you know there's a real Alfa engine up front. It's really the best of two different worlds.

I'll also add that, after decades of Alfa driving, the AH system is the first one I've seen that is a perfect fit. It really is a bolt-on system that you can install in your driveway. Every other system I've installed on an Alfa required a visit to a muffler shop to solve one or another fitting problem.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Peter, I'm restoring a 73 GTV 1300 JR.,and plan on deleting the rear muffler and using an Ansa stinger from mid exhaust back,what front muffler should I use from the header back to the stinger? tks drake

Attachments

·
Registered
80 Posts
Thanks so much for the feedback, think I'll take your advice,run the Centerline mufflers from my cast iron headers back to the stinger,did you ever just run one muffler or always two.
Tks Drake

Attachments

·
Premium Member
13,510 Posts
You need to know that not every box in the exhaust is a muffler. On my '79 spider, only the rear unit was a muffler. The center box was a resonator and the front box was a catalytic converter. Other models may have different arrangements but in my experience a cat + a resonator + a stinger is ok but just a resonator and a stinger is very loud and no cat, no resonator and a straight through muffler is OK. So if you plan to use one box and a stinger that box should not be a resonator.

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
Muffler VS Resonator

You need to know that not every box in the exhaust is a muffler. On my '79 spider, only the rear unit was a muffler. The center box was a resonator and the front box was a catalytic converter. Other models may have different arrangements but in my experience a cat + a resonator + a stinger is ok but just a resonator and a stinger is very loud and no cat, no resonator and a straight through muffler is OK. So if you plan to use one box and a stinger that box should not be a resonator.
Alfaparticle, Duckman has a pre 75 pre cat GTV. All OE boxes on all Alfa 105/115 GT, Spider, Berlina, and earlier cars before the intro of cats that I have ever seen have been straight through resonators. Front middle and rear boxes all same construction, perforated pipe surrounded by sound absorbing material in an oval can of slightly different size. Please explain how the rear was a muffler and center was a resonator on your front cat 79 Spider?
Duckman, I have used 1 resonator and as it got older and more worn out it got too loud.

·
Premium Member
13,510 Posts
Please explain how the rear was a muffler and center was a resonator on your front cat 79 Spider?
The center resonator was light and had very little inside it. The rear muffler, though smaller was significantly heavier and clearly had more stuff in it. I did not cut them open.

A muffler should attenuate all frequencies whereas a resonator will typically only attenuate a limited range of frequencies.

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
The center resonator was likely older and all the fiberglass was blown out, and sometime the perforated internal pipe totally rots away. Most of the small bits will blow out the tail pipe, some bigger bits will rattle around in the can. The rear was likely still full of its internals and maybe wet with condensation. I know as I have cut dozens of these open from mid 60s to late 70s Alfas and other imports, as well as research on a variety of new systems. I refer to mufflers as a can with baffle plates (never seen an Alfa with an OE muffler).
I refer to resonators as straight though mufflers and vice-versa ( all 3 boxes on Alfas before the intro of cats).

·
Registered
80 Posts
great stuff guys, i'm looking to put someback pressure on the engine and am looking for more of a tuned exhaust note,something that's aggressive but not obnoxious.

·
Premium Member
6,243 Posts
I guess that a muffler has baffles and a resonator is straight through with sound absorption stuff.

My 2 L Super has Alfaholics from the two downpipes back.

Plus one 14-inch long resonator aft of the "Y".

Sounds great and looks good.

:cool2::cool2:

·
Premium Member
13,510 Posts
The center resonator was likely older and all the fiberglass was blown out, and sometime the perforated internal pipe totally rots away. Most of the small bits will blow out the tail pipe, some bigger bits will rattle around in the can. The rear was likely still full of its internals and maybe wet with condensation.
Not so. I replaced both with CISAM OEM units from DiFatta Brothers.

61 - 80 of 92 Posts