Alfa Romeo Forums banner

41 - 60 of 92 Posts

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
No, closest I had was a custom made full stainless system on a 2.0 spider.

My current system gurgles beautifully when down shifting, especially when it's been on full throttle and then down shift from about 3800rpm, then it adds a few pops and bangs.

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
I thought about chiming in here for a while but Jamie in post #40 & #42 beat me to it. Read his description of how it sounds and you know how mine sounds. I have the OE 3 box system with the rear section replaced with the 2.25'' GTA stinger from Centerline (and other suppliers)(so a 2 box system) I had bought a stainless Magnaflow system and wasn't happy with it, I didn't even start the car with it on. I quickly bought 3 new OE sections from Centerline. (the GTA stinger is kinda OE) Happy with the system I have now, best overall system I have had in 30 years. So to get back to the point of this thread, I would recommend the Alfaholics over the Magnaflow. But I obviously also recommend the set up I have now. Is it better than Alfaholics system, likely not , I have not seen thier system 1st hand, but compare costs.

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
Frank, There were a few things I didn't like. I am not sure I feel comfortable bad mouthing Magnaflow online on the ABB, as some Alfa owners are happy with the system. If you really want to know PM me or phone me.

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
In reference to post # 36 by Alfiat (Fred). I am surprised the OE style front section rusted out in 2 years. I have had only a couple of front sections rust out in 30 years. They seem to last a long time due to engine heat keeping them dry. I did have a brand new Ansa rear resonator rust out in a year. I blame condensation build up as the rear box will be the last thing to fully heat up and evaporate the water out of the can. The solution is to drill a 1/8'' drain hole in the bottom of the can or go to a rear stinger pipe. I see that Centerline is selling Aluminized steel OE systems, this is what I bought. I wonder if Fred's was an older non aluminized system? Wonder when Centerline made the switch and wonder how Aluminized compares to plain mild steel or stainless (weight, longevity, surface rust, tone, etc...)?

·
Registered
80 Posts
I'm restoring a 1300 GT Junior and have a stinger running out the rear and wondered if anyone has run a straight pipe system? Whats the optimum set up these days? Tks WDR

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
Straight pipe from manifold to tail pipe would be extremely loud. You need 1 resonator at a minimum or 2 resonators for a more mellow sound.

·
Premium Member
13,449 Posts
I have a single straight through Borla muffler. It is loud at WOT but not too offensive at light throttle openings -

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
Nice, sounds like my GTV when I only had a center straight through OE resonator and pipe replacing the front and rear resonators. I can only imagine what my neighbors thought of my driving home at midnite with my loud funny foreign car. Oh and I used to wear ear plugs on long drives because of the noise.

·
Premium Member
791 Posts
Magnaflow System and Centerline Performance Headers

Here's my set up: Centerline sports headers with magnaflow system on RJ prepped street 1750. Engine has 100+ miles on it so sound of exhaust and whole engine is still changing as I'm breaking in. I had to make Y pipe in SS as centerline ships headers with steel one.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
13,449 Posts
You are invited to bring it up to Columbia sometime The performance of my GTV6 is pretty impressive.

·
Premium Member
791 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
You must be a pilot with that grip!
Or a tractor driver..... I grip the wheel like that, goes back to the first vehicle I ever drove which was a tractor. The farmer told me to keep my thumbs outside the wheel because the wheel could jump if I went over rutted ground (or a ploughed field) and break my thumbs if they were inside the wheel. Held the wheel that way ever since!

Back OT, I have the Alfaholics system and as most people say it is not OTT. Very well engineered, nice noise but not loud. TBH I would like a little more volume at times but I'm not sure my wife would agree! However, I am running with the stock airbox and I think if I had pancake filters or similar upfront the additional intake noise would add that bit of extra excitement. May do that at some stage but am keeping the car standard for now.

One of the things that attracted me was the perfomance improvement. I haven't dynoed the 1750 but I previously had a 156 GTA and (based on dyno results), the Alfaholics exhaust system I installed on that added between 10 to 15 bhp and also improved torque and throttle response.

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
You must be a pilot with that grip!
We'd all know by now if he was a pilot...

How do you know there's a pilot in the room? He'll tell you. ;)

I hold the wheel like that too. The wheel on my Fiat is designed so that this is the most comfortable position too so it's an easy transition between this and the Alfa. Even Fiat's silly little shopping cars are set up for real drivers!

Back on topic, Peter here is running the Alfaholics exhaust.

Nice video too-

http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/alfa-romeo-videos/477489-1971-alfa-spider-jan-2016-a.html

:)

·
Registered
748 Posts
My Alfaholics exhaust that I've fitted to my 105 2 litre is fantastic; exceptional note and no drone!! I especially love the subtle burble on deacceleration in second gear. Another plus is that is built very well and is very easy to fit!!

41 - 60 of 92 Posts