Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 92 Posts

·
Registered
5,457 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can someone post a video or sound clip of their Alfaholics exhaust system with headers? I'm considering this for my GTV. It's about the same price of the Centerline magnaflow setup with headers.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
I've been meaning to do this... the Alfaholics system is very nice but is rather quiet, from the sound clips i have heard of the Magnoflow that system is louder.

The Alfaholics system has a deep tone and sounds nice at low revs but at higher revs you can barely hear it over the engine noise.

Compared to an ANSA system i used to have on an Alfetta, it doesn't sound nearly as good but if you like to go on long drives and don't want to come home with a headache it's a great system to live with.

·
Registered
368 Posts
It might be difficult judging the sound on a little videoclip..
I've changed the exhaust system for the complete Alfaholics Stainless Steel Sports Exhaust. And yes, the sound is like GoldCloverLeaf discribes, I like the s.s. system and sound since I got tired from that straight through tail section sound..

For the best result you'll need a dynobank test/adjustment.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Alfaholics exhaust

As with the other people who have posted regarding the Alfaholics exhaust, it sounds nice, but not tremendous.

There are probably 2 reasons for this though:
a) they are making a system which will past the noise tests for track days at British racing circuits
b) The exhaust is made from stainless steel. A metallurgist is better answering this than me, but stainless NEVER sounds as good as a mild steel system (which your ANSA system will have been). Mild steel seems to deliver the deep throaty roar and crackle whereas stainless always sounds more tinny.

Having has many Triumph TR6s, with either mild or stainless exhausts, I am well experienced in hearing the differences.

So you have to balance the question of 'how much do you prefer the sound of mild steel' to 'how often do I wish to put my hand in my pocket for a new exhaust system'.

Hope that helps

·
Registered
131 Posts
Here's a link to a 1600 furnished with the Alfaholics SS system

have been mulling over the different available options for about 6 months now and wondered myself if anyone had experience of the CSC unit for a 1750, actually fancied the magnaflow but not available here in the UK by the looks of it

cheers

·
Registered
5,457 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I hear what you guys are saying, however; there are some clips of the centerline setup that sound great, i just wanted to see how this compared before shelling out the $1000 to buy it. With the discount, i think the centerline setup is slightly cheaper, but not sure how the materials compare.

·
Registered
5,457 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

My GT1600 Junior - YouTube

have been mulling over the different available options for about 6 months now and wondered myself if anyone had experience of the CSC unit for a 1750, actually fancied the magnaflow but not available here in the UK by the looks of it

cheers
Thanks! Ill have to watch it when i get to a computer

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
I'll see if i can make a video but i don't have anything available with a decent microphone. I might take off the rear resonator section and see how it changes the sound one day but at the moment i'm happy with it.

I will probably remove the factory airbox for an 'open' filter and velocity stacks for the induction noise, which is louder then almost any exhaust system available... yes i know, i will be sucking in hot air more often than not... but the sound!

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
I have a ss Magnaflow system with my 2L. Spruell headers into into the first muffler than over the axle than into the second then out the back. When I first heard it, it wasn't aggressive sounding enough( like the Alfaholics sound clip), I then had a stinger pipe made for the end. Now it sounds very aggressive and I can swap out the end section when I go to track events that have sound restrictions, like Limerock. All the connections are flanged for ease of removal. Unfortunately, I have no sound byte because the car is being reassembled. Peter.

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
There are probably 2 reasons for this though:
a) they are making a system which will past the noise tests for track days at British racing circuits
Actually, just this one!

Stainless systems have a reputation for sounding tinny because they're usually made of very thin steel to keep the cost down. The manufacturers can do this because stainless is stronger than mild steel and because it doesn't rust away so stays stronger for longer.

Our exhausts are made of proper thickness stainless steel so don't sound any more tinny than a normal steel one, the difference is all in the silencing and the length of the manifold pipes, something Max made sure to get right when this was being designed. If our exhaust was copied in mild steel it would sound exactly the same!

We wanted something that gave more power, fitted perfectly, looked good, lasted forever but most importantly, kept the authentic Alfa Romeo sound. This is very hard to get right, lots of people have made loud exhausts but they very rarely sound like an Alfa. I think we'll all agree that nothing else sounds like an Alfa!

A few people have commented on how quiet our exhaust is even though it's actually louder than the stock system. I suspect that this is because the exhaust they'd just taken off was on its last legs internally as well as externally so was probably somewhat more fruity sounding than Alfa intended when they designed it!

·
Registered
375 Posts
So I have one of Alfaholics' full ss system including the headers and the under axle upgrade. First things first, the quality of this exhaust is bar none. I have had several classic car shops owners comment on the quality and fit of this unit since I mounted it. Mounts up supper easy and looks great.

As far as the sound I think its kind of loud actually. When I am just cruising down the road it sounds perfect. But if I am hot rodding from light to light...its a bit loud. I am by no means thinking of changing it but it might be a little more than I care for.

As a matter of fact I am sure my neighbors think its rather loud when I blitz through the only twist road for miles :D

I will try recording the sound but I don't have particularly good sound gear.

Regards,

·
Premium Member
6,243 Posts
With two -2 L cars parked underground with different exhausts comparisons can be made. The sound really comes back at you.

The Spider has a stock system in good shape. Tried it for a while without the first resonator. It was louder and had the Alfa "bark". Put it back on and it's a little quieter. But upon starting it up on a Sunday morning I wonder what the neighbors are saying.

With a 2 L install into a 101, Centerline provides the headers and room for the down pipes is limited. There are no alternatives but on the Sprint had the "anti-reversal" segments welded in.

The rest is 2.25" SS with the first resonator actually a large flat oval Magnaflow (2.5" necked down to the pipe), then a modest-sized oval one where the large stock one would hang out. The final resonator was chosen to look exactly like the original one. But it's a 2.5" necked down to 2.25". The 2.25" final tail pipe has been polished.

When firing it up the sound is big but without the rap of the normale system. I like it enough to consider installing the same system in the Spider.

On the highway it is subdued but sounds good. As the engine becomes more used and the roads drier I'll give WOT revs. Looking forward..:D

·
Registered
375 Posts
Well here is that video I promised. Sound quality is not so bad. Given the wide range of computer speakers available its tough to think that volume wise you will be able to get a proper appreciation without sitting in the car.

I dont find it to be tinny though.

The car does have a TS motor in it with webers and no air box.

In this video I start with a little hard acceleration and then after the truck plays like a deer in the headlights I drive it more civilly in traffic so you can get an idea of both songs. The driver side window is down as it is 95 deg F today and I dont have a/c. Passenger side window is up to cut down on the wind noise the mic picks up.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/4JyVOLUiYyY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Turns out the head rest on the gtv seats make a pretty good clamp for my tablet. A little adjustment to the angle and I wont need a GoPro camera. lol.

Regards,

·
Registered
1,998 Posts

My GT1600 Junior - YouTube

cheers
i had a CSC exhaust for roughly 20 years on my 1750 gtv. sounded smooth and fantastic. are these still avalible? ive notice the better Stainless Steel exhuast dosent sound as nice a the mild steel exhaust. ive driven a buddies lotus elise with a titianium exhaust, man does that thing sound awlful compare to the 2 ther systems he has tried.

·
Registered
4,157 Posts
We wanted something that gave more power, fitted perfectly, looked good, lasted forever but most importantly, kept the authentic Alfa Romeo sound. This is very hard to get right, lots of people have made loud exhausts but they very rarely sound like an Alfa. I think we'll all agree that nothing else sounds like an Alfa!

Exactly. My impression is that bratty exhausts (yes b-r-a-t-t-y) take more away from an Alfa's sound than they contribute. Today, coming back from some vitage races, a tuner Toyota came up. We could hear him before we actually heard him. Yeah I know he thought it was cool but that car had a bazooka sized exhaust pipe and a permanent drone that must have made doing anything more than cruze-night puttering a miserable experience.

If I may dirgess a bit: Once day I was driving along, sunroof open, listening to Mozart, and feeling quite self-satisfied. Suddenly the world around me began shaking as a low-rider with a 5000 megawat sub-woofer pulled alongside. Studiously keeping his cool, the driver, eyes level with the door's edge, stared ahead as though he was unaware of his own performance art. He was loving it. :) As he pulled away I noticed a little yellow bumper sticker on his car which read in small case type "if it's 2 loud yr too old".

Personally I like the Alfa's sound to be close to the way Alfa and God intended it to be; a nice balance between exhaust note and Alfa's luxurous engine sounds. I think Alfaholics, (despite Max and Andrew being entirely too young for this stuff and lawyers to boot) got it all about right.

Unless of course you're a bit younger than your car and then, Max and Andrew excepted, bazooka esthetics in various degrees of mutation and intrusiveness takes over. :)

·
Registered
131 Posts
i had a CSC exhaust for roughly 20 years on my 1750 gtv. sounded smooth and fantastic. are these still avalible? ive notice the better Stainless Steel exhuast dosent sound as nice a the mild steel exhaust. ive driven a buddies lotus elise with a titianium exhaust, man does that thing sound awlful compare to the 2 ther systems he has tried.
I believe so, Ebspares in the UK sell them but I can't get much info out of CSC.IT as they don't appear to have a catalogue on their site anymore, just references to agents selling the system. Would be interested in what they sound like having a CSC on my 916 GTV 3.0 which is ok. The Alfaholics unit does get good press and haven't heard anything bad about them other than some users believeing it to be a little on subdued side (noise) but does give some performance advantage as well.

·
Premium Member
6,243 Posts
Got out onto the freeway for the first time and clocked the longest drive.

Exhaust is not loud and has a nice tone. There is no "boom", or drone at 3800 to 4000:D. I recall that being a problem with my new Giulia Super. It was always there.

Most of the noise is from the Webers, which will eventually be diminished when the full Veloce intake is installed.

Time for lunch...:cool::cool:

1 - 20 of 92 Posts