Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone. I've just bought a 1970 1750 105 coupe, and I'm looking to do some tinkering.
Has anyone installed any of the Alfaholics Engine Packages? My plan is just to start with the Stage 1 and combine with the exhaust and ignition pack.
I'm interested in what your experience was. How difficult was it to install? What was the car like afterwards?
I'm not racing or anything just looking for a (slightly less slow) road car.
I've done a search on the forums; I couldn't find anything and sorry if this has been addressed already.

·
Registered
6,806 Posts
I have only heard and read good things about their Fast Road kits! They know what works!!

·
Registered
373 Posts
I have used their suspension kits, and it’s great. They have a great reputation in our world. Cams and exhaust will make a noticeable improvement. Also consider electronic ignition.

·
Premium Member
13,987 Posts
It depends upon the condition of your engine. If you have good compression and oil pressure then installing better cams will make a difference for a modest cost. But if the engine is tired you would be better off rebuilding it with new piston rings and a head job - guides, maybe valves and seats cut.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the replies. I haven't had compression and oil pressure checked formally yet (got the car shipped over from the East Coast) but the mechanic I got to check over the car said he thought compression was good.

alfaparticle: Was hoping to avoid a full engine rebuild of course. Will get the engine checked properly as is.
andylarry: thanks for the Spruell Motorsport info. Good site

·
Premium Member
13,987 Posts
An increasing fraction of Paul Spruell's parts are out of stock or NLA which is a pity since most of his stuff is good quality.

·
Registered
779 Posts
Hi @pearcey and welcome to the BB. I gather from your phrasing you are in Perth? Or WA at least? Here the guys you want to talk to about your engine are either the Lopresti family at Cileberti Motors in Osborne Park, or the Magistro family at Autodelta in Malaga. I know the Cileberti guys and my neighbour only deals with Autodelta, both are knowledgable and passionate about Alfas. They will happily advise you on what you need, including the AH and CA packages. Enjoy your car!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi @pearcey and welcome to the BB. I gather from your phrasing you are in Perth? Or WA at least? Here the guys you want to talk to about your engine are either the Lopresti family at Cileberti Motors in Osborne Park, or the Magistro family at Autodelta in Malaga. I know the Cileberti guys and my neighbour only deals with Autodelta, both are knowledgable and passionate about Alfas. They will happily advise you on what you need, including the AH and CA packages. Enjoy your car!
Hi cucinando. Yes in Perth. I know about Cileberti and nearly bought a 105 from them a few years ago. They are probably nearest to me so I'll go and have a chat with them.

·
Registered
4,179 Posts
I've been an Alfaholics customer for some time now and, along with the others here, can attest to the quality of their parts and service. When we built my modified 2 liter for my Super, I installed their lightweight steel flywheel and stainless exhaust system. Both fitted perfectly and were of excellent quality. This past week I purchased a pair quick steering arms, a replacement mechanical fuel-pump, and some other odds and ends. The parts were ordered on Monday, shipped on Tuesday, and arrived in Texas on Thursday afternoon. Based on my experience, my impression is that Max and Andrew carefully develop their parts so as to insure that they both work and fit well.

While I am sure their engine kits consist of well thought out high quality parts, I suggest that you spend some time teaching yourself a little more about Alfa nord performance engines before you pull the trigger on a major engine build/modification project. There is quite a lot of discussion here on the bb regarding this topic along with plenty of experienced people who will happily answer your questions. For starters, I strongly recommend that you get a copy of Jim Karatalamakis' How To Power Tune Alfa Romeo Twin Cam Engines. His book contains a wealth of information and will definitely serve to point you in the right direction. I mention these steps because, while building a performance Alfa engine is a rewarding experience, it is also one that greatly benefits from making informed judgements before you begin buying and installing parts. (I should add that the Alfa Romeo DOHC Engine Performance Manual is the second edition of this book and is more commonly available.)

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have used their suspension kits, and it’s great. They have a great reputation in our world. Cams and exhaust will make a noticeable improvement. Also consider electronic ignition.
Do you or any one have a good recommendation for an electronic ignition like Pertronx? What type of spark plugs and wires are to be used with it? I have a 1968 GTV 1750 with dual webers.

·
Premium Member
13,987 Posts
123ignition distributors have many happy users on the ABB. Plug wires do not make a big difference provided they are in good condition.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts