Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
4,180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Alfaholics headers/tuning

A couple of months ago I purchased an Alfaholics exhaust system for my Super which is in the process of getting a hot-rod 2 liter engine installed. Yesterday, I installed the headers and I thought I'd make a brief comment about the work.

Simply put, the AH headers fit perfectly. The center 2&3 header slipped right on as though it was an oem piece. If anything, the starter wrench I was using was easier to maneuver when tightening the lower nuts on the AH header than it was with the oem cast iron headers.

What came as a huge surprise ws how easily the 1&4 headers went on. If you've ever installed headers, 1&4 is often a problem owing to the distance and orientation of the primary pipes. While headers will eventually fit, they can sometimes be a little frustrating because, on 1&4, the holes don't quite line-up with the studs. I was expecting a little blood, sweat, and tears to get these to fit. Instead, just like 3&4, they slipped right on. I was so surprised I pulled them off and tried again. Perfect fit. Even better, my starter wrench had a little more room to work when tightening the nut on the hard-to-reach back stud.

So, can you feel safe putting the AH headers on in your driveway? Yep.

One reason I bought the AH headers is because I like they way they look on the engine. I'm happy to say their ease of install reflects a design that equals their looks. My back muscles and unbloodied knuckles say thank you Alfaholics!

·
Registered
105 Posts
thanks for the review. did you buy their whole system or just the headers? Ive heard similar good comments else where, which is just as well, as the whole exh system seems rather pricey....

·
Premium Member
14,007 Posts
Hi Jim
What diameter of tube do they use for the main exhaust system, after the final collector?

Thanks,

·
Registered
4,180 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Hi Jim
What diameter of tube do they use for the main exhaust system, after the final collector?

Thanks,
It's 2 1/4in, Ed. That was one reason I bought it. Looking at the system, it's commendably large. You wouldn't think that little bit difference would be visible, but it is. BTW: the system has a wonderfully mellifluous sound that maintains Alfa's classic character. I found most other after market-systems that I heard to be too bratty for my tastes. Once we get the Super running, I'll make a video of the exhaust sound and post it here.

I didn't have my camera with me when I put the headers, but I'll take it with me tomorrow so I can post some photos.

As for price, it's a complete engine-to-tail-pipe system. When you compare it to buying quality headers and assembling a comparable exhaust system the costs are not all that far apart. But, then, the AH system is stainless from one end to another so it will probably last the life the car. Speed costs money: how fast can you spend? :thumbup:

·
Premium Member
14,007 Posts
It's 2 1/4in, Ed. That was one reason I bought it. Looking at the system, it's commendably large.
That jives with the advice that I have received from Richard Jemison and Steve Johnson.
Thanks!

·
Registered
4,180 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
On a stock engine changing jets usually isn't necessary because, honestly, aside from looking good and giving you some street-cred (important!) they don't contribute much more over stock headers. When there come in is when you've built a performance engine which this one is. Gordon Raymond restored my Webers for me and worked with Gron Perry, a respected Weber tuner, to re-jet my DCOE27's to match my engine build.

Twice now I've forgotten my camera! I'll take some photos today.

·
Premium Member
14,007 Posts
I have Shankle headers and I intend to replace the rest of the system with 2.25" tubing and muffler(s). I will see what it does to the AFR and I will post the results. I will also take it to the same dyno that I used earlier this year to see the real results of modifying the system. This could be a month or two down the road. I discussed it with Al Mitchell. He has done lots of dyno work to evaluate exhaust modifications. He expects that the motor will demand more fuel with the bigger exhaust system.

·
Registered
4,180 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well, the potential is definitely there. Wave tuning plays an important role in this so there gain to be found in extending the intake system. Also, I think a merge collector (which the AH system doesn't have) would be a definite asset. Perhaps later for me.

·
Registered
2,212 Posts
Burns merge collector works nice with Shankle/Centerline headers. Consider 2.5" system for a 2 liter.

I am using the above sytem on my Giulia TI with one centre Magnaflow muffler. It is definitely streetable but loud when you open it up. For the less enthusiastic an additional muffler will do the trick. Smaller piping will also be quieter.

I have Shankle headers and I intend to replace the rest of the system with 2.25" tubing and muffler(s). I will see what it does to the AFR and I will post the results. I will also take it to the same dyno that I used earlier this year to see the real results of modifying the system. This could be a month or two down the road. I discussed it with Al Mitchell. He has done lots of dyno work to evaluate exhaust modifications. He expects that the motor will demand more fuel with the bigger exhaust system.

·
Premium Member
14,007 Posts
Burns merge collector works nice with Shankle/Centerline headers. Consider 2.5" system for a 2 liter.
Do you have any independent dyno data to support the use of the merge collector? A guy with a lot of formula Ford experience told me that they are a waste of money.

·
Registered
4,180 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
I'm not the authority, although Allegerita certainly is (dynoed: 183hp @ 6800 on Mexican pump gas). By carefully tuning your intake and exhaust system what you're trying to capture is the 2nd and 3rd reflective wave harmonic. Vizard and other well known tuners have talked about this in their books. Ulrich (Allegerita) is too modest to say this but his TI won its class and made history in the '08 Carrera Panamerica using just this technology. He flat outran the 911's. :wheelchair:

Here's another example. My friend, Howard, has worked hard tuning both his intake and exhaust sytems on his GTV vintage racer in order to catch these elusive 2nd and 3rd reflective waves. He lengthened his intake system and modified his exhaust system using a merge collector. Suddenly, he found that he was running out of revs on the Texas World Speedway banking where before he wasn't. This was after work on his head (to JimK specs), intake and exhaust system. I was there the day he did this and his 2 liter GTV was definitely faster than before.

Once I have everything screwed together and percolating properly, I'm looking for a merge collector.

·
Premium Member
14,007 Posts
My understanding is that reflective waves can give you a peak somewhere but the price is a valley somewhere else. My torque curve is pretty flat and is over 140 lbft from 3800 to 6200. My plan is to do nothing that could mess that up. I don't want any reflective waves in this very driveable road motor. The guy who thinks that they are a waste of time has won a National Championship in Formula Ford - a pretty competitive racing series. I will change my mind when I see independent data showing a worthwhile improvement, before and after fitting the merge collector.

·
Registered
4,180 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Work in progress

Here are a few views of the Alfaholics headers installed in my '72 Super. We started the new engine today. I have to say its presence when running is a bit more robust than the 1300 it replaces . . . This is the same system both Max and Andrew run in their GTA/R and TI Super/R vintage racers. Don't know if they're using merge collectors. The configuration of the headers make adding one pretty easy.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
14,007 Posts
Hi Jim,
sent you a pm. Better to debate this off-line.

·
Richard Jemison
7,382 Posts
Waves?

Waves? Here we go again with urban myths! Don`t forget to use your big valves with this system!

BS never ends in the Alfa community. Somebody always selling a "big improvement"!

Size is the critical element in exhausting the burned fuel.

Any significant extraction (not waves!) is done at the interface of the primary tubes and secondary tubes. Past that just get it out!

I agree that 2.1/4 is minimum size for 2.0 exh and it really should be 2.5". Even if its just a tube running to the right side of the car for racing.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts