Alfa Romeo Forums banner
21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
I have the alfaholics kit. It's a huge improvement over stock. If I could I would sacrifice some of the compliance the front shocks have initially on compression with something more consistently stiff - I know that would make city driving harsher but I hate the nose dip when inching along and having to tap the brakes. At speed and with load the car handles just fine.

·
Premium Member
1,627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
OK, I went to the shop today and measured the Monty's height from floor to wheel arch is 26-3/4" at the front. As far as I know, the springs on it are the stock ones. Was this the factory ride height? It seems high.

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
I dug up some track photos of the suspension I have in use. Really nice on the track and the street.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
15,021 Posts
It's nice to see one of these cars being driven hard.

·
Premium Member
1,627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Sorry to repost...any help on the height measurements I listed above?

I also agree that I love seeing Montys on the track!! Thanks for sharing.

JP

·
Registered
4,036 Posts
Peters [Classicalfa] Monti tracks real nice, I've enjoyed seeing it thrown around a couple tracks !

·
Registered
4,464 Posts
OK, I went to the shop today and measured the Monty's height from floor to wheel arch is 26-3/4" at the front. As far as I know, the springs on it are the stock ones. Was this the factory ride height? It seems high.
John, sorry I missed your question last time...

Yes, I had a similar measurement with the Montreal's stock springs (A/C compressor removed by previous owner):

Left front was (28"); Right front was (27-1/8")
Left rear was (26-5/8"); Right rear was (25-3/4")

Now the front measures 24-1/8"
Now the rear measures 24-1/2"

I may have emailed telling you I used a $19 B&D grinder to cut the springs. The ride is still supple and comfortable but somewhat stiffer.

Mark

·
Registered
204 Posts
Is anyone using the Bilstein Shocks? and if so how did the ride height come out,

I've seen the high pressure gas Bilstein shocks rise the ride height on some BMW applications versus the low pressure Koni twin tube shock

·
Push hard and live
11,842 Posts
My car had Bilsten when I got it, to which I added the AH suspension kit. Generally, I much prefer Koni over brand B. However, the AH kit is plenty low to the ground.

If I were to it over, I would use Koni and small shims to very slightly raise the ride height of the AH kit.

Reactions: mtbjeff

·
Registered
204 Posts
My car had Bilsten when I got it, to which I added the AH suspension kit. Generally, I much prefer Koni over brand B. However, the AH kit is plenty low to the ground.

If I were to it over, I would use Koni and small shims to very slightly raise the ride height of the AH kit.

When you added the AH spring set with the Bilstein shocks did you get a before and after ride height difference on the lowering of the car by chance?

I'm guessing that the Bilstein shock with its high pressure gas adds 10-15mm in ride height over the low pressure twin tube Koni shock.

·
Push hard and live
11,842 Posts
I think you're overestimating the lift impact of the gas pressure. The AH springs are substantially firmer than stock, so the tiny amount of gas pressure would have been a minuscule percentage of the total. I doubt the lift would have been more than 2-5mm, if any.

The OE suspension was well worn out, so I saw no merit in measuring anything before.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.