Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Classic Alfa kit

If you are still running the stock suspension, I think you will be very pleased with a handling kit. I installed the Classic Alfa Rhoddy Harvey-Bailey kit, and it was a distinct improvement. The car is much better around corners and much less floaty. I did not find it extreme at all.

--Charlie

·
Push hard and live
11,835 Posts
I think the main difference in the CA and Alfaholics kit is that AH retains the original rear sway bar, where CA replaces it with a stiffer one.

With what little I've found discussing this, the AH approach to 105 handling requires the rear to be lower than some other solutions. To get the same weight transfer with a higher stance in the rear, you'd need to use a heavier bar.

The high-G cornering of the AH kit (with Mich Pilot AS Exaltos) has proved to be far beyond my testicular fortitude. Thus, I can't tell you how it behaves at the limits.

Reactions: Mound Dawg

·
Registered
218 Posts
Hi all
I probably can't add too much to whats been said apart from my car is fitted with the Harvey Bailey kit, as I have never driven it yet
( still under restoration ) I can't comment on the ride/handling of the car other than the P/O who fitted the kit said that it greatly improved the handling.
On the subject of anti roll bars the front is 29mm thick, but the rear is thinner at only 13mm! I think the original is around 16mm. The springs are shorter if anybody wants to know the height and thickness I will measure them, and the shock absorbers are Bilsteins.
The ride height is I think about right similar to Don's, again I will try to post a picture, Have tried once and failed!
Regards Geoff.

·
Premium Member
1,627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Geoff, I like the stance of yours with that kit. I assume the kit will accommodate stock 195/70R14 tires?

Looks like Classic Alfa carries the HB kit and it is less than the one Alfaholics sells.

Thanks, JP

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
Hi JP, I have Ward & Deane front and rear springs which are NLA but Centerline now sells the identical set up. I use the stock front and rear bars with Koni's, I would definitely recommend.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
Those springs you posted are for the early spiders but yes, they are the yellow springs they offer for the 105 cars. My car has 16" wheels and measure fro the ground to the arches 23 7/8".

·
Premium Member
15,021 Posts
I had the Duetto type Centerline rear springs in my 79 Spider. I liked them and they are similar to the Shankle Super Sports that I now have, front and back. The Centerline springs for S2 and S3 spiders are very stiff, like the IAP/Vick springs and I don't care for them.

·
Premium Member
15,021 Posts
My problem with the stiff springs is reduced longitudenal weight transfer. This results in less grip from the front tires under heavy braking and less grip from the rear tires under hard acceleration and when exiting turns. They make the car loose. Mine improved some when I removed the rear sway bar but now it is much better with 570# front and 144# rear. Max Banks has described Alfaholics suspension setups here:http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/motorsports/18169-british-vs-yankee-s-spring-weights.html

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.