Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1750 GTV
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone fitted these yet!?! Would be good if they came with a manual! Would be good to hear about any instructions. Thx.

·
Registered
147 Posts
In the end, you'll use those threaded collars on the rear shocks to set your corner weights. Right front+rear minus left front+rear can only be effected by moving actual weight. Be sure to load up as you would on track - you and the poodle, etc... also some gas..as you will need it!
In any case, there will be a limit to how close you can get the right minus left to be zero. So, most important is to get the cross weights equal - where having these collars is really bonus.
Disconnect the sway bars.. this is important.
Set the right front+left rear to be equal to left front+right rear. This can be done with the collars, and regardless of your left/right weights being equal, or not.
Then, connect sway bar(s) and adjust such as to not effect the corner weights, or if you want to add wedge for a particular track/corner, then you can also use the sway bar for this. Heavier on left front+right rear will make it loose to the left and push more to the right and vice versa.

·
Registered
1750 GTV
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Awesome! How about the basics......out of the box they are rigid fully extended how do you slacken them to fit? As I said no instructions in the box!

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
Call Alfaholics speak with Andrew Banks they would be happy to help

Reactions: becko

·
Registered
147 Posts
Interesting! If they are rigid, maybe try backing out the adjuster(s) to reduce the damping?
Are they gas shocks, if so, they may just be very stiff out of the box and need more force to compress?
Try counterclockwise all the way on the adjusters, and then see if you can compress - putting real body weight into it...

·
Registered
1750 GTV
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Call Alfaholics speak with Andrew Banks they would be happy to help
I have a call into the guys (Max and Andrew) they are usually very good at replying and helping. It’s just timing...I am in CA and they are in the UK and it’s Fri eve and I am dying to fit hem! Don’t want to mess anything up! Will have to wait until Mon unless anyone here has the info. Otherwise I will wait and then post the process for everyone who follows this route! :)

·
Registered
1750 GTV
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
interesting that the lower rose-Hemi joint diameter is slightly smaller than the original shock spigot bolt. Currently. waiting on answers but hoping I don't have to shell out on their $350 lower titanium bolt kit to make it fit!😬

S

·
Registered
1750 GTV
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So, for those who fancy buying these, the fitting process is a little convoluted without any instructions, but here goes...... For the rears, they are easy. You'll need to have bought the damper, the bushes, and the spring. To fit the main spring simply detach the ring clip on the lower (adjustment end) of the damper that allows the spring cup to slide off. Place the spring on the damper, winding down the adjustment rings so that you can get the spring cap back on. Then slip the whole unit onto the lower trailing arm and loosely secure. Then put a support under the rear axle and lower the car until the top of the shock comes through the top hat section. Securing and tighten both ends with the nyloc nuts provided.

·
Registered
1750 GTV
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
.....the fronts. You'll need the damper and top poly bushes. I have the small spring set fitted too, but I see no reason why you couldn't use original springs/locations with these dampers. The top location is standard fitting but the bottom location is a spherical bearing, not a rubber bush and therefore has a more precise fit. However, the spigot for my lower ball joint/damper bolt was16mm in diameter and the internal diameter of the bearing is 15mm! I guess its a good job it wasn't the other way around...... but still necessitated another trip to see "Roger"at my local machine shop! He also made up some spacers for me so the damper bearing is located centrally on the spigot. A bit of a faff I was not expecting! Once done its a simple process of fixing the top of the damper loosely to the top mounts on the car, compressing the damper to fit on the spigot (I used a scissor jack to help ease of fitment as the damper is fully extended in its natural state not fully compressed)
image0.jpeg

·
Premium Member
3,720 Posts
Steve,

Alfaholics sure produce nice stuff. I assume the car weight is now taken at the top of the rear shock mounts instead of the original upper spring perch. Was any reinforcement required?. Also what spring rate did you specify for the rear?.

·
Registered
1750 GTV
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The top is taken care of by their billet aluminium top mounts, no bodywork strengthening required. I’ll check on the spring rates and let you know

·
Administrator
14,297 Posts
Once you are modifying, you need to understand the engineering. Never just a bolt in job

The lack of instructions are important for this learning process
Pete

Reactions: Steve Semenzato
1 - 12 of 12 Posts