Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Premium Member
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Sorry if this has been covered, but I did a search and came up empty.

I am installing the geometry kit from Alfaholics in the next week and they come with 2 1/4" diameter springs and billet spring locators to set them in place since they read so much narrower than the stock springs. From what I can see from photos online, the top locating fixture for the smaller spring needs to sit inside the wider, stock locator. It also looks like it needs to be fixed in place with a nut and bolt.

My question is, has anyone done this? Seems like it's pretty important to have the springs exactly where they are supposed to be and not just eyeballing it but I am unclear on how to be precise about this.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1985 Spider (SSM AutoX)
377 Posts
You can always e-mail Alfaholics for instructions and tips, they respond pretty quickly and may be able to share some additional .PDF documentation that wasn't shipped with the product.

·
Premium Member
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. Just got the reply email. Still could use a little first hand feedback, looks like from the PDF that all the suspension has to come apart, since to drill the new locater hole I think you have to remove the upper control arm. If someone has achieved this without doing that I would love to know how!

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
Yes, I have. If you look up where the spring seats you’ll see some sheet metal that locates the original spring. What Alfaholics DOESN’T say in there instructions, (and I’ve come across that in some other items they sell,) is that the sheet metal cup that is spot welded needs to be removed befor the Alfaholics supplied spring locator can be bolted in. Much easier if you have a machine shop but I was still cursing them out for this. A little info beforehand goes a long way. Good luck.

·
Premium Member
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks. I got them to send the instructions actually and it does show that they cut away enough of the metal cup to accommodate the new locater. But man, they really undersell the amount of effort hahaha.

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
I bought the rear watts link from them also, nowhere does it say about welding parts to the body. I returned it as I didn’t want to weld and went with Performatek’s watts link. Bolt on and a much better design.

·
Premium Member
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ah bummer. Yeah I like their products but am not professional enough to know what their projects entail until I get in there. As you say, some up front information is always helpful.

·
Registered
445 Posts
I've installed this setup in a couple of GTVs.

I use a Dremel equipped with a cut off disc to cut out a section of the upper spring locator so that the Alfaholic's upper spring locator can be installed.

When I have no reason to remove the other suspension parts I use either a right angle drill with a jobber length twist drill bit or a regular drill with an extra long drill bit to drill the thru hole in the car's sheet metal so that Alfaholic's upper spring locator can be attached to the car. I drill this hole from below, where the stock springs once was, so that I don't have to remove the control arm.

I use A4 M8 fasteners instead of the black oxide class 5.8 that they supply with the kit. (one less part on the car to rust) Remember to treat the bare metal with your favorite rust prevention treatment.
Robert

·
Premium Member
3,720 Posts
I did the installation and used a small wheel grinder to cut away the part of the upper spring mount
Upper spring mount.png

Hi all,

Sorry if this has been covered, but I did a search and came up empty.

I am installing the geometry kit from Alfaholics in the next week and they come with 2 1/4" diameter springs and billet spring locators to set them in place since they read so much narrower than the stock springs. From what I can see from photos online, the top locating fixture for the smaller spring needs to sit inside the wider, stock locator. It also looks like it needs to be fixed in place with a nut and bolt.

My question is, has anyone done this? Seems like it's pretty important to have the springs exactly where they are supposed to be and not just eyeballing it but I am unclear on how to be precise about this.

Thanks!

Reactions: nunki

·
Premium Member
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I've installed this setup in a couple of GTVs.

I use a Dremel equipped with a cut off disc to cut out a section of the upper spring locator so that the Alfaholic's upper spring locator can be installed.

When I have no reason to remove the other suspension parts I use either a right angle drill with a jobber length twist drill bit or a regular drill with an extra long drill bit to drill the thru hole in the car's sheet metal so that Alfaholic's upper spring locator can be attached to the car. I drill this hole from below, where the stock springs once was, so that I don't have to remove the control arm.

I use A4 M8 fasteners instead of the black oxide class 5.8 that they supply with the kit. (one less part on the car to rust) Remember to treat the bare metal with your favorite rust prevention treatment.
Robert
Thank you this is very helpful. If you are drilling from below, how do you know where to put the new hole to fasten the Alfaholics upper spring locater?

·
Premium Member
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So it turns out that since the springs I got are not the fully adjustable version, the adapter just pops into the existing locater without any mods required!

·
Registered
what part?
10,752 Posts
is there really that big of an advantage to 2.5 inch dia. spring. the weight diff cant be that much,.and for what alfaholices charges for them? i looked in the speedway motor catalog, and they have the same parts there.. a lot cheaper

·
Premium Member
3,720 Posts
The difference is 20 lb. and that is part of my ongoing weight reduction for my '76 Spider autocross car; like using the 2 1/2 lb Lithium Ion battery from a Jet ski. Also, Speedway is certainly a good source and I buy parts from them. However, they don't have the "Gubbins" (British term) for the small spring mounting.

Off topic: if anyone ever visits Lincoln, Nebraska, be sure to visit the speedway museum. Three stories of outstanding displays. They even have Jack Beck's famous SCCA GT-4 race car Home

is there really that big of an advantage to 2.5 inch dia. spring. the weight diff cant be that much,.and for what alfaholices charges for them? i looked in the speedway motor catalog, and they have the same parts there.. a lot cheaper

·
Premium Member
3,720 Posts
I installed my small spring kit in 2016, and don't remember any difficulty in compressing the spring. I suspect I used two longer bolts and "walked" the lower spring mount into place, then held it tight with one bolt while installing the opposite, correct, bolt. Kinda like the threaded rod process where two bolts will actually compress and hold the spring & pan while the two other short bolts are installed.

Dumb question: what's the preferred method for installing the small springs? My spring compressor is too big and without the lower spring pan using threaded rods is out of the question...

Reactions: gprocket

·
Premium Member
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well the reason I am getting them is so I can use the geometry kit, but as I didnt get the fully adjustable version, there is still a spring pan. I plan to use my threaded rods to install on Friday but dont forsee problems.

It is definitely pricey. I'm splurging a bit.

·
Premium Member
5,706 Posts
I installed my small spring kit in 2016, and don't remember any difficulty in compressing the spring. I suspect I used two longer bolts and "walked" the lower spring mount into place, then held it tight with one bolt while installing the opposite, correct, bolt. Kinda like the threaded rod process where two bolts will actually compress and hold the spring & pan while the two other short bolts are installed.
Seriously! I looked at that and decided I was too chicken to try it. I had a rod let loose with a standard spring installation once. What scared me more than the spring flying so close to my forehead that I felt the breeze was that it was heading directly for a fully restored '59 Corvette in the next bay. Had it hit, it would have punch a hole clear thru it. Did the John Connally right turn and missed everything.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts