Alfa Romeo Forums banner

41 - 60 of 307 Posts

·
Admin
4,862 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
Well there is still a lot of work to do but I'm going to leave the new skin up. Still left to do is the new home page, top tabs, articles side bar and lots of other little things. Once I get all those things taken care of I'll move to refining some of the colors on the pages.

Keep the feedback coming.

·
Registered
5,965 Posts
I am not a fan of this new look at all. If it ain't broke don't fix it - and you tacitly accept that the old format is superior, since platinum subscribers can pay a premium to view the old format. I would also be interested to know how older BB'ers are coping with the brightness and button shading. Muted and clear is the way forward.

There are better ways of spending subscription money. Keep it simple, intuitive, stable and fast and you can't go wrong.

·
Admin
4,862 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
you tacitly accept that the old format is superior, since platinum subscribers can pay a premium to view the old format.
I never said anywhere that the older template was "superior" so I'm not sure why you are making this assumption. The only reason that I'm offering the older style it is because there was a lot of feedback from users that they wanted to keep it. I feel that I should be able to offer this as a upgrade as it more then doubles the amount of work to manage multiple templates now.

·
Registered
5,965 Posts
I never said anywhere that the older template was "superior" so I'm not sure why you are making this assumption. The only reason that I'm offering the older style it is because there was a lot of feedback from users that they wanted to keep it. I feel that I should be able to offer this as a upgrade as it more then doubles the amount of work to manage multiple templates now.

So ... there is plenty of feedback wanting the old format retained but a new one is created anyway. The old one is available for platinum users, and considerably more work is required to maintain both templates. To my mind this seems like a lot of pointless effort and expenditure to 'window dress' what was already a fine format. Good changes have happened in the past couple of years and I applaud your efforts, but this is a step too far, it's change for change's sake. I repeat what I said before: is this really how subscription money should be spent even though few people see a need for it?

·
Registered
2,205 Posts
Looks very nice Simon, I like it. My only suggestion would be to tone down some of the dark blues which have text on them. The high contrast between type and background makes reading more difficult (for me at least).

Keep up the good work, it's much appreciated.

(The high contrast seems to be just for quotes)

·
Admin
4,862 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
Alex,

The new skin change is just one part of a new site redesign and is not being made just for change sake but as part of an overall plan to take the site to the next level.

I can assure you that what subscription money we have received from the less than 1% of our members has already been spoken for just in software, technical and server fees. This subscription funds you keep referring to have only covered a small portion of the sites annual needs! This is one of the reason we have the need to run ads on the site.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
This Mortal Coil

Alex,

The new skin change is just one part of a new site redesign and is not being made just for change sake but as part of an overall plan to take the site to the next level.

I can assure you that what subscription money we have received from the less than 1% of our members has already been spoken for just in software, technical and server fees. This subscription funds you keep referring to have only covered a small portion of the sites annual needs! This is one of the reason we have the need to run ads on the site.
Simon, I'm STILL awake...had an 'all-nighter'....embarrassed to say I did Not
read some of the previous posts (so much for awareness without
sleep). So with that in mind and noting your most recent comments;
I believe it's time to 'poke-the-pig' once again!!!:eek:
And with the news that here in Michigan (as of yesterday) the
un-employment rate has surged to 8.5%:eek: it is getting harder:(
So here I go:eek: Time to pull up the bootstraps, inhale deep and give
it another go....DONATE:cool: DONATE:)
Let's make that "1%" crowd AT LEAST 1-1/2%....Ed K.:cool:

·
Registered
889 Posts
New look for ALFABB?

The BB looks different this morning; new layout and color scheme. I like it, but why is all the wording under the Articles tab on the right in Latin (or some other onscure tongue)? It's been 45 years since I took Latin and I'm a little rusty.:D

·
1966-2013
13,741 Posts
Simon,

WAY better visibility on the 'contains new posts' gif than the previous incarnation.

Sidebar adverts still show on all pages, but I'm presuming it's still a bit WIP.

... back to tri-color now.....

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
Yes that is Latin, it talks about the new V6 from Alfa and how Fiat is purchasing the Hummer dealer network ;)

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
Well, this time I caught the new skin in the test mode. Are you making this on a Mac? I recognize the place-filler text(see attached picture) and AdBlock isn't blocking the ads like it usually does. I like the basic design, but could we have a little more green and red as the primary colors?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,468 Posts
Wow, pretty impressive layout. Looks like we will be ready for the flood of traffic when Alfa returns to the USA. ;)

·
Registered
7,166 Posts
It's been 45 years since I took Latin and I'm a little rusty.:D

Not a problem here friend:). I frequently listen to, and dance to the Latin beat:cool:.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Sorry Guys, but I logged on to the BB this morning and said ***!!

Simon, I know this site is your baby and I like every one else here is greatly indebted to you for its creation however I must say "If it ain't broke don't fix it". Your old style is very classic like our cars...

If I wanted a modern looking forum, I would drive a BMW.

I hope I didnt offend... I am just truly attached to the look and feel of the site as it has been for these last many years (Kind of like our Alfas).

Cheers
Martin.

41 - 60 of 307 Posts