Alfa Romeo Forums banner

21 - 40 of 307 Posts

·
Registered
3,267 Posts
Simon -
Thanks for all you do.
I like the Italian colors, regardless of eye strain - I think of tomato, basil, and mozzarella!!
I DO like the tabs you suggest, as I believe it's easier to mouseover a tab than it is to scroll down.
Perhaps with new models, it would be cool to be able to go to different badges to signify different eras, but then again....We don't need no steenking badges.:D
And finally, I'm probably with the majority here...we'll adapt to whatever you decide, appreciate your request for feedback, and in the end are very grateful for ALL you do.

·
Registered
9,240 Posts
I don't like the layout of page #3 at all. Right now, with the current layout, once you scroll down below the header section, it's all content (posts in thread). The new layout reduces the net content (post/thread) to about 25% of the screen area. The rest (articles, advertising, login) I'm really not interested in so I consider it visual pollution.

·
Senior TEXAS member
1,526 Posts
For just a brief time yesterday morning when I first logged in, did I see what looked to be a change in the Home Page of this good 'ol BB ???

Simon, were you messing with us and testing???
(actually looked pretty cool in spite of what I posted before)
It was gone as soon as I punched 'new posts' and then use back button, but it was there right? I am not loosing my mind...please...Simon !!!

·
Registered
4,631 Posts
AlfaBB Site Redesign -- Feedback Please

For just a brief time yesterday morning when I first logged in, did I see what looked to be a change in the Home Page of this good 'ol BB ???

Simon, were you messing with us and testing???
(actually looked pretty cool in spite of what I posted before)
It was gone as soon as I punched 'new posts' and then use back button, but it was there right? I am not loosing my mind...please...Simon !!!
What you haven't recognized, is that to be a part of this bb --- you've already lost your mind.

A couple of things I've noticed that may or may not be knew, but I just saw them:

I don't use the homepage, and I was on yesterday morning so obviously didn't notice that, but in the same arena, have I just not noticed before the slender rectangular tag box at the bottom of each page or is that a new addition?

Whether its new or old, what's its purpose, with a limitation of two tags per page, when on a normal page there are more topics or items to be tagged than two? And if I'm thinking about tagging properly, remember I work in a library, as a cataloger, with MARC records with multiple tags per field, a very simple abbreviated author, title, publisher record has a at least 7 tags; and we electronically tag books to prevent theft. So if I were tagging to organize a thread/page: one, I'd need more tags than allowed and why would I want my tags to be public? Or is this supposed to be an everyone participates at whatever level they have knowledge to better organize the bb, which to me will cause more jumble with 10 jillion different systems being used which would span the universe from highly focused to very broad and general.

I'm sure I've thought way too long and hard on this with analysis and must be missing the main point of its use....

The second item: is the notification down arrow, in the private message area box new, with the drop-down menu? I like it.

·
Registered
7,166 Posts
Whether its new or old, what's its purpose, with a limitation of two tags per page, when on a normal page there are more topics or items to be tagged than two? And if I'm thinking about tagging properly, remember I work in a library, as a cataloger, with MARC records with multiple tags per field, a very simple abbreviated author, title, publisher record has a at least 7 tags; and we electronically tag books to prevent theft. So if I were tagging to organize a thread/page: one, I'd need more tags than allowed and why would I want my tags to be public? Or is this supposed to be an everyone participates at whatever level they have knowledge to better organize the bb, which to me will cause more jumble with 10 jillion different systems being used which would span the universe from highly focused to very broad and general.

·
Registered
2,147 Posts
Have to say I like the current BB the best, its easy to use and always a welcoming site for sore eyes, just improve the search function, maybe some minor changes, and thats it.

·
Registered
4,631 Posts
AlfaBB Site Redisign - Feedback Please

I agree
(can we ditch the minimum character search?)
The minimum character "block" is also present in posts; if you just put a few short words, that message appears. I don't like it either, I've had to rethink a few very briefly worded posts and add words to get past the minimum character block, which didn't express the content nearly as well or as briefly.

You can use Google to search the bb and it's much more effective as far as focusing on what you're trying to find.

·
Premium Member
9,681 Posts
I have been working with a designer that has been redesigning the site and I wanted to share with the collective some preliminary samples. I know that I want to keep the site dressed in grn/wht/red so please ignore the blue coloring. I think I will also ask to have more vintage cars in the stationary graphics as most of our current member list (myself included) are vintage owners. Well its a good start but I'd like to hear some feedback.

Any and all feedback will be appreciated.
It is nice. I would ditch the min. Character search as well. I think it calls for a lot of unnecessary Posts due to not being able to narrow searches.

jason

·
Registered
9,240 Posts
As Simon repeatedly pointed out elswewhere, searches are a heavy burden on the AlfaBB server.

Maybe it would be worthwhile to consider tweaking the search function in such a way that a Google search happens in the background (for content searches). I understand such an approach would not provide highligted words for the search terms (which I find a nuisance anyway), but it would:
  • Get rid of 2-word search limitations (e.g. SS, SZ, TZ, etc. would provide valid results).
  • Get rid of the 20 second wait time between searches.
  • Lighten the load on the AlfaBB server.
The AlfaBB search function still would be needed for searching members, etc.

·
Registered
4,631 Posts
As Simon repeatedly pointed out elswewhere, searches are a heavy burden on the AlfaBB server.

Maybe it would be worthwhile to consider tweaking the search function in such a way that a Google search happens in the background (for content searches). I understand such an approach would not provide highligted words for the search terms (which I find a nuisance anyway), but it would:
  • Get rid of 2-word search limitations (e.g. SS, SZ, TZ, etc. would provide valid results).
  • Get rid of the 20 second wait time between searches.
  • Lighten the load on the AlfaBB server.
The AlfaBB search function still would be needed for searching members, etc.
I'm very visual, so I actually use the highlighted words, and in Google's case the highlighted in different colors words, in the search found string so that I can tell at a glance, scanning the document, how far apart the words are and if it's what I'm looking for. However, if giving that up gets rid of the 20 second delay in both searching and navigating, I'm willing to give it up. I hate clicking "Today's Posts" getting the 20 second message, the 15 second message, 11 second message etc. until the seconds are finally used up.

The other thing I experience frequently is clicking on a thread to go to the posted area and receiving one of two messages, one of them says something about not being authorized to see that area and the other one is shorter something to do with non-recognized user. If I hit the back button and do the same thing I did the first time, it usually loads the page the second time through. This happens whether I'm at home or at a networked computer, where there is a difference in speed and loading anyway, so I don't think the access speed is the problem.

·
Registered
3,964 Posts
stick w/ original (or slightly cleaned-up version of original); the 1:00am PDT variation is a bit too visually assertive; the design is getting in the way of the content, IMO

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
What The??????????????????????????????

Well folks, PRECISELY at 4:13am edt this whole site changed!!!!!!!!!!:eek:
Simon, WHAT'S GOING ON?????????????????????????????
I don't know about anybody else, but these new COLORS and
set-up look just like SO MANY other sites:mad::mad::mad:
What hyappened to the "Italian" character of "greens and reds"?
I DON'T LIKE IT. I DON'T LIKE IT, I DON'T LIKE IT:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(
Simon...GO BACK!!!!! GO BACK!!!!!! GO BACK!!!!!!....Ed K:cool:(NOT)

·
Admin
4,862 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
I'm testing the new site skin.

If you want the old site skin PLATINUM members can change back and forth via the "style selector" at the bottom of each page.

For all other users this option will not be available.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Simon, Thank you for the quick response, Got me scared for a moment The problem I
have is that my eyes have a "problem" with various shades of 'blue' when viewed
on screens of any kind! Or maybe it's because it's 4:35am edt AND I've NOT been
to bed yet!!!!
Simon is always trying out something new; and for that I am thankful...Ed K.

21 - 40 of 307 Posts