Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our beloved Alfas are not slow, so why is our forum ????

The AlfaBB forum is now slow, frustrating & often blank

I have been reading the "whats happened to our beloved AlfaBB" thread for a while, hoping for a good (non-IT Techy) fix to come up - alas no.

Most times I now get pages like this;
[/IMG]

absolutly nothing, sometimes a re-fresh works.

There are other forums out there which on which i reside, many with the google ads - non-with this problem.

Sadly, whilst the forum is so frustrating to read & post on, I forsee my use of this forum declining. I note that others have done the same.

Is this a problem we are now stuck with forever ?
I know $$$$ help, I'd gladly donate more, if AlfaBB could guarentee a quick website, can we ?

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
why should we have to change entire www operating software just to view ONE website ?

Not all PC's that view this website are at home, mine is at work

·
Registered
7,166 Posts
A "tad" slower for the 1st page to load but nothing I can't live with. I mean, we're not talking a kidney transplant here with the patient opened up waiting for the organ to be inserted:)

OTOH

Nurse - Where is that kidney?

Attachments

·
Registered
4,631 Posts
Alfa BB Forum: Slow, Frustrating & Blank

why should we have to change entire www operating software just to view ONE website ?

Not all PC's that view this website are at home, mine is at work
I have not experienced what you are showing as an example. I use Firefox exclusively, including work, except for those pages that are so clunky to navigate you have to use IE view. I also run a different array and configuration of software that is not standard.

Depending on how your work computer is configured and what kind of privileges you have, you can probably download Firefox.

No one is forcing you to use a different browser, only making a suggestion that others of us have found works and fixes the problem. Keeping in mind that many of us were using Firefox prior to the bb configuration changes, so for us it was not a change, but business as usual.

·
Admin
4,862 Posts
Jamie,

I think that it might be a setting(s) on your local machine.

Have you tried any of the option settings mentioned in this thread?

http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/showthread.php?t=44182

Are you having the same problems using a different browser? If no its probably a setting in your current browser. If yes is there any filtering or blocking going on at the corporate network level since you mention you are at work. All or any of these things can be your problem.

The site is operating properly even for those overseas.

·
But Mad North-Northwest
10,085 Posts
Firefox is an application, Jamie. You just install it and run it like any other program. I use it for all my web browsing.

You're free to use whatever app you like, but I was suggesting it as it has fixed BB problems for several people. Personally I do not use Internet Explorer on any of my machines nor do I let people use it on machines I do free, unpaid, and extensive technical support for (i.e., my parents' PC).

·
Registered
4,631 Posts
AlfaBB Forum; Slow, Frustrating, and Blank

A lot of companies won't let you download software. You must use only their software.
That is very true; but sometimes where there is a will there is a way. Be creative, read all the company documentation and rules. I found one that stated for those of us having trouble using a certain application, which I was not having trouble with, instead of using IE to download Firefox. When they questioned it, I showed them the rule and have not been hassled since about using Firefox. I was also told that I could not have ftp or remote desktop sharing access, I have both of them, although, it took some doing.

Pat took a more aggressive approach, when a co-worker went to the IT department and said I want to be able to do what Pat can do and the IT department responded to him that it was not possible with a this company's configuration, the co-worker brought the IT department to Pat's desk to show him that it could be done. The IT guy said the co-worker said you can do this, I say you can't. Pat said, "Oh yeah, watch." He did it and IT immediately drilled him through the firewall and told him that he was responsible for taking care of his own computer and software, which was what Pat wanted in the first place and had had his request denied. He managed that at every company he worked for one way or the other. So it can be done without being fired, depending on how valuable an employee you are and what you can find in the documentation that they can't argue with.

·
Registered
4,631 Posts
Adminstrator Rights

You can't do much without Administrator rights on your PC :)
That's also "mostly" true unless you can find a "hole" in their system that allows you to go around their lockdown. There are some that are more clever than the local administrators, you just have to find them and utilize them or do a 4377 of a lot of Googling to figure out how to do it yourself.

For instance my "C" drive is locked down and controlled much more than my "H," "I," "J," or "Z" drive so I can load a program on one of those that I can't on "C" and run it from there. It's not always convenient but it works.

·
Registered
3,909 Posts
is use Firefox ,and have no problems:D

·
Registered
193 Posts
Hi Jamie,

I access the BB using IE, 6 at work and 7 from home, and don't get the issues you are experiencing. The first page tends to be a little slow to load but there after it's comparable with other sites.

·
Trained (ex)Professional, , 1953-2018 RIP,
16,232 Posts
Starting last night on my home computer, cable and Firefox, and continuing this morning from work, DSL and IE7, I experienced a significant slowdown. It took +5 minutes to load one page. All seems right with the world right now though. Anyone else experience this or am I in the twilight zone?

·
Registered
7,166 Posts
:rolleyes:Problem with you 2 guys is that you're too tense - too wound up. Gotta learn to relax like me:cool:. Big deal, so it's a little slow. Gotta stop and smell the coffee sometimes IMHO.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
2400 Baud

:rolleyes:Problem with you 2 guys is that you're too tense - too wound up. Gotta learn to relax like me:cool:. Big deal, so it's a little slow. Gotta stop and smell the coffee sometimes IMHO.
I am beginning to think the problem is with my computer........

Attachments

1 - 20 of 24 Posts