Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i am wanting to respray the rubber around my 75 which is faded. i taped up all around the car and sprayed it all including the spoiler lip on the boot with a black vinyl spray paint. now however if you scratch at it it peels off pretty easily.

wondering if anyone has touched up/resprayed this part of their 75 and how they did it and what they used???????????????????

should i just go over it again?

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
i taped up all around the car and sprayed it all including the spoiler lip on the boot with a black vinyl spray paint. now however if you scratch at it it peels off pretty easily.
Do you mean that Plasti-dip stuff? I thought that stuff was quite durable?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
the stuff that runs down the side of the car (above the door handles and below the windows). and around the boot.

i also resprayed the rear bumper black and that has been fine because it is different. but the stuff around the doors and on the front left and right panels will come off easily if i scratch at it

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Sorry, miss understanding going on here... I know what you mean by the strip but i was refering to Plasti-dip, a new [maybe recently taken off?] rubber paint. You tube it, it looks great, easy to spray on, easy to clean the over spray, durable and if you ever want to change the colour you just peel it off. It comes off like rubber, looks very similar to peeling off a balloon type material.

Well, that's what i was asking if you painted the strip with.

I believe Duk has painted his mirrors, strips and door surrounds in it??

How did you prep' the surfaces? Sanding? Undercoating?

·
Registered
3,384 Posts
I've used SEM Bumper Coater (SEM Bumper Coater) in the past and it has held up well, not sure if you can get it where you are but there should be something similar. It is a flexible coating. Did you do any prep on the parts that you were painting? You need to degrease/dewax them first or no paint will stick.

Kevin

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
hey guys thanks heaps for the info, looking into both the products you suggested!!

yeah i sanded it and used a degreaser before painting. I didnt use any undercoating or primer though.
should i have used a primer before painting, would that have made a difference.

I was really happy when i first did it, looked great. now im just annoyed, thinking of sanding it all off and starting again!!

·
Registered
3,384 Posts
Not sure on the primer, some products require a plastic adhesion coat to go on first. It all depends on the product, you should make sure to read and follow their guidelines. Did whatever you use say that is required some sort of under coating?

Kevin

·
Registered
45 Posts
Did mine a month ago
with plastidip - gun metal grey 97% match to the original colour ( on mine)

no grinding or anything, just clean, mask and spray :)
very easy and quick :)

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
As per what Jazig said, I've used Plasti-dip on the hip molding, rear vision mirror and window frames of the doors (only done 1 side at this stage).
I've also done the wheels in the same flat black, but it does have a bit of a sheen to it.
It apparently takes some days to completely cure.

VHT make a Urethane paint that they market for wheels. I've used urethane coatings in intercooler plumbing and also an inlet manifold that I made out of mild steel exhaust pipe. Its a very durable coating.

·
Registered
3,384 Posts
I've also tried plasti-dip on my wheels and some of the trim. It comes out quite nice but seems to pick up dirt easier. I've notice on the trim between the front and rear door is starting to peel a little bit (maybe I'm driving too fast and the wind is ripping at it :)).

Kevin

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Tried black wow on mine at the weekend. Worked really well, but there's no doubting mine needs repainting

1 - 12 of 12 Posts