Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, first thanks for all the feedback on my Jetta VS. Milano thread. Second as some of you know I have a stock 2.5 Platinum which means it has like 155 engine HP. My good friend has a MK1 Rabbit with about ehh, 135ish engine horsepower. Now he is always ripping on my Milano calling it an "old man's wannabe sports car" that REALLY bugs me. So I want to shut him up by proving his precious VW is slower than my "old guy car" by doing a little friendly drag race (don't worry it's totally safe, on a closed road). I'm pretty sure I can beat him, but, if I do lose I will never hear the end of it, SO if there's any chance he can beat me by some unkown weight or tuning thing, please let me know.
Thanks,
-oilpit-

·
Registered
825 Posts
the milano is not a 0 to 60 car, second its rwd vs fwd, fwd always has better take off, and im sure the milano is ALOT heavier then a rabbit. didnt rabbits have 100 hp not 135??

·
Registered
936 Posts
power-to-weight ratio, my man. mk1's are light. you will lose.

besides, your car is not a wanna-be sports car. its a sporting driver's sedan. get up on the autostrada and cruise at 110mph or so, and see which car you would rather be in.

if you and your friends judge a car's sporting prowess by its acceleration only, you need a different car, or more motor.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
power-to-weight ratio, my man. mk1's are light. you will lose.

besides, your car is not a wanna-be sports car. its a sporting driver's sedan. get up on the autostrada and cruise at 110mph or so, and see which car you would rather be in.

if you and your friends judge a car's sporting prowess by its acceleration only, you need a different car, or more motor.
Hey, let's get one thing straight, I love alfa's If they were the slowest cars on earth I would still drive one. However my friend is a VW junkie who just cares about HP and body kits. I just want him off my back about my car.
-oilpit-

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
OK, first thanks for all the feedback on my Jetta VS. Milano thread. Second as some of you know I have a stock 2.5 Platinum which means it has like 155 engine HP. My good friend has a MK1 Rabbit with about ehh, 135ish engine horsepower. Now he is always ripping on my Milano calling it an "old man's wannabe sports car" that REALLY bugs me. So I want to shut him up by proving his precious VW is slower than my "old guy car" by doing a little friendly drag race (don't worry it's totally safe, on a closed road). I'm pretty sure I can beat him, but, if I do lose I will never hear the end of it, SO if there's any chance he can beat me by some unkown weight or tuning thing, please let me know.
Thanks,
-oilpit-

tell him that you will race him from a dig and then do a second gear pull from about 40mph, and see how your car compares, id say you have much better chances on a roll.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Your friend is not making a very fair comparison. He has a highly modified car and wants to compare it to your stock one? An 82 1.8GTI had 112hp and went 0-60 in 8.2 seconds on whatever tires were stock. It was only 845 kilos. Your friend has increased his horsepower by about 20% beyond that. If you put as much energy into your 2.5 as he has in his Golf, maybe you could run with him in a drag race. Maybe not. That said, he is attacking your car´s greatest weakness.
It is the equivalent of a Honda guy harrassing a Mustang owner, challenging him to race through tight corners. The Mustang owner most likely never intended to drive his car fast through corners, so the fact that he isnt great at it doesnt prove anything.
If you must play with him, do it at higher speeds as Dave suggested.
HP and body kits? I bet that with a supercharger and EVO kit your Milano would make your VW friend drool.

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Tell him I have MKV GTI with DSG and 200hp and I miss driving my old Milano. The GTI is fast but the Milano was sporting! Ask him to race you for time at an autocross and put some poly bushes in to include the DeDion. You'l smoke him.

Publio

·
Registered
2,147 Posts
Those early fwd vw's are great handlers too, just love to see pics of them with one of the rear tires off the ground! Man I miss owning one of those old gems

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
Thanks,
-oilpit-
Old Guy Car??!!! Well, I think Milano's were some, if not best look four doors sport sedans ever designed even cooler than my 164's but that's one mans opinion. Tell him the Rabbit's are "punk kids" cars and he might as well be driving a Civic. :) Also know that a stock 2.5 may only pull 8.0 zip to sixty and you have I think 500 more lbs than he does. So don't expect to win a drag race. Your car will allways be cooler since it's Italian!

·
Premium Member
9,745 Posts
Thanks,
-oilpit-
Well, from a former owner of a MKI (1983 GTI, slightly modified :D ) Which was around 125 hp and I blew the doors off most cars. My favorite (back in that day) was the 5.0 Mustang crowd. That little 4 banger was the fastest thing ever, I was 2 car lengths ahead before they even knew what happened. I use to do 97 mph 1/4 miles in that thing. The problem is he will smoke you off the line and you will be scrambling to catch up and may not! The car is light, fast great handling and FWD. Think about that! Those MKI GTI rabbits where tough little things, I owned 2 of those and 2 16V's which where also very very quick! You will be putting your foot in your mouth on this one. I agree with Nizam! There is not point he will win.

MIlano's are great cars but this one may show otherwise.

Yeah and what BRUCE Said!! :D

BTW one of the BEST cars I ever owned next to my 89' GTI 16V 1.8, 92' 2.0 Recaro.

J

1 - 16 of 16 Posts