Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,599 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Avert your eyes for those who have weak stomachs:

This is my new, low mile, one owner, 1971 1750 GT Veloce pulling out of the PO's neighborhood:
alfa 004.jpg

This is moments after the hauler lost control of the car while backing off the ramp:
Alfa vs GMC View 1.JPG
Alfa vs GMC View 6.JPG
Alfa vs GMC View 3.JPG

·
Registered
7,166 Posts
Your warning wasn't enought. That's immoral, sickining and downright unexcusable IMO.

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
That hurts just looking at it. So what happens now? Is the guy hauling and his insurance company going to be held accountable?

:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(

·
Premium Member
5,599 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
At the end of the day it was an accident - at worst negligence on the part of the hauler. I was thankful that no one got hurt. It went flying down the ramp - anyone standing behind it would have been crushed. Or it could have flipped off the side of the ramp. As it was, we were all about 40 feet away. The hauler disconnected the cable, got in the car and gave it a shove. He did not know that the car had no brakes (he didn’t load it). In retrospect there should have been two guys working it down, one in the car and one manning the cable.

The hauler is bonded and insured. That said, I can’t wait to play the “Classic? I’m sorry sir but our computer only recognizes it as just an old car…” game. I’ve spent a lot of time talking to the original owner about my plans to restore it. He bought it new in Germany and had it shipped over here when his tour was done. Twenty years ago he put in storage with the intent to restore it but could never get the time. He was excited that the car was going to get that chance again and was going to dig out his old pictures and write up a history of the car.. I shutter to think how he’s going to react to this…

But it is just a car. Like I said, no one got injured and life continues. Hopefully the insurance company will be reasonable and I wont take a bath. TBD.

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
Is the seat now brown? my guess the hauler would need new shorts after that.
I would think he would check/ pump up the breaks before giving it a push down a ramp.

I guess if he is only used to new cars and flat lands. when I had my sister in law bring one of my 53 jeeps. I got the breaks working before we undid the ties and that was a normal trailer that is only a foot off the ground.

Best of luck getting it sorted out.

·
Premium Member
2,617 Posts
Ouch Rich, that's heartbreaking. How's the rear clip on that parts car? Wish you the best in getting everything sorted out.

Bill

·
Registered
530 Posts
I take it the handbrake wasn't working as well?
Such a shame when this type of accident happens....
I wish you all the very best for a speedy car recovery

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
I feel pain. Gonna.....throw.........up !!! :eek:

·
Registered
3,618 Posts
...can we say thankfully it wasn't the front end that got crushed?....(just trying to make your situation seem better than it could have been)....and I too wish you all the best in resolving this with the insurance.

·
Premium Member
5,599 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Actually the rear end was the nicest part of the car... the rear deck lid looked new.

If it wasn't so pathetic it would make for a great comedy. Picture this: the guy gives it a push and jumps into the car. It begins to roll down the ramp, picking up speed. About a third of the way down the ramp he casually applies the brakes. Hmmmm, pedal goes to the floor, car accelerating. No problem, just grab the emergency brake. But the emergency brake offers no resistance either and again the car continues to accelerate. Should I hold on or jump? As the car approaches level ground it has now accelerated to a terminal velocity of perhaps 20 MPH. Suddenly he realizes: The transmission! Quickly he mashes the clutch pedal to the floor. What the... no time to think, there is a large object filling the rear view mirror. Just grab the stick shift and yank as hard as you can. That's when the shift knob comes off in his hand and the words "ALFA ROMEO" slips under the rear bumper of the very sturdy truck...

·
Registered
418 Posts
Sorry to read about your loss, hope it works out alright.

Must say that you take the hit like a man. Concerning about the potential injuries of others? Not the first on my list.

·
Administrator
13,277 Posts
Communication would have solved this ... surely he was told it had no brakes?

Sorry to bring it up but the insurance company will :(:( ... Akitman can fix it, but it is a real shame.
Best
Pete

·
Registered
4,678 Posts
The rear panel and lights are available. The rear deck will have to come from a donor car as I heard they are no longer available. I can imagine being in the driver seat and feeling the agony of the impending crash. Looks like you will get a new paint job out of the deal too. Have the guy load the car back on the hauler and take it Akitaman for repairs. :)

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
What a trecherous plot - poor little Alfa caught between a learing Ford, a smirking GMC and a foolish hauler. I wouldn't consider backing an inclined car without checking if it could be stopped!

In all seriousness Rich, what an awful tragedy! And like Oelholm stated, you're one cool cookie.

·
Administrator
13,277 Posts
The rear deck will have to come from a donor car as I heard they are no longer available.
Rear deck can probably be prepared as thats below the main hit ... a bit of pulling and tugging and she will be fine.

While this looks bad and needs a skilled repairer it most definitely can be fixed.
Pete

·
Premium Member
5,599 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Pete:

If you're implying that I was in any way complicit by not telling the driver that the car had no brakes, I take exception to that in the strongest sense. I didn't know it didn't have brakes! Had he asked I sure would if told him that and that he should check them. Of the fifty or so cars that I have had hauled over the years, I have never, ever seen someone unhook a car from the tow cable and ride it down the ramps. Unfortunately I was 40 feet away and on the opposite side of the controls so I didn't realize what he was doing until it was too late.

You are an opinionated guy and say what you're thinking - I like that and I'm sure we'd be famous friends in person. But if you had said that to my face yesterday it would have come to blows. Sometimes it's a good thing that continents separate oppinions.

...serenity now, serenity now...serenity now......serenity now......serenity now......serenity now......serenity now......serenity now...

·
Premium Member
5,599 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Under the cirmcumstances I didn't feel like messing with it too much yesterday. So today we powerwashed it and threw a battery in it to see where we were at electrically. Every darn thing works INCLUDING THE REAR TURN SIGNAL INDICATORS! Other than a split seam in the driver's seat back the interior is fantastic (strong smell of mothballs from the years in storage). The dash looks like it just came out of the mold and the wood is likewise flawless (except for some silly sickers the guy put on it). I really love the style of the 1750 - much more classic looking than the GTV 2000 IMHO.

The body needs to be repainted which I expected. There are probably more dents than I expected but nothing that can't be fixed. There is some minor rust around the rockers but the front and rear window pillars are clean as a whistle. The spare tire well is rust free (small consolation) and the gas tank looks like it had been replaced at some point (or just really clean) and does not appear to be damaged.

The motor turns over. I need to de-storagize it (especially the SPICA) before I go any further. It would be nice if I could get it running to see if there was any strutural damage but that is going to take some work to get the brakes and clutch working.

Don't know much about the suspension except that we know the wheel bearings are in great shape...:rolleyes:

But I really can't do anything more nor can I even start making plans until the insurance company talks to me. I agree with Pete though, it can be fixed...

1 - 20 of 37 Posts