Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 2.0l, TS, 8v engine. Originally from 164 -89.
I am building a Locost, Lotus 7 type racer. Local strict rules would make this engine very competitive in our series. Only problem is that I can not find suitable gearbox for this engine.
Has anyone ever made any kind of bellhousing for mating Alfa engine to some RWD 5-speed?

I already did some Google research, but nothing for Alfa sofar.

Gearbox from 75 is out of question since we must have gearbox attached next to engine and must use one piece rear axle.
I can also make bellhousing of my own for some BMW/MB/Vauxhall/Volvo/Ford gearbox, but I would not like to invent the wheel again… :)

Any ideas anyone?

Cheers,
Teemu

·
Registered
390 Posts
How about a 5 speed gearbox from a 105 series car. The only major mod is the crankshaft will need to be drilled to fit a spigot bush. It will bolt straight on. Lots of guys have built Lotus 7 style cars here in South Australia. Mainly with nissan or toyota engines to meet tight emission rules. Some picks of your project would be great.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This was a good piece of info. Thanks!

Though 105:s are rare as honest politician... At least here in Scandinavia. But I begun to seach one aswell. ( 105 I mean, not a politician... :) )

My locost is still a pile of RHS cut to lenght at the corner of my carage. Here is a link to local locost site and last seasons pics:
http://www.locostfinland.com/images/2006/index.html

But I keep on searching for bellhousing still.

Any other ideas? Anyone?
Does any other engine share the same bolt pattern? Lancia, Fiat...?

·
Registered
390 Posts
Give Max Banks a call at Alfaholics in England. Im sure it wouldnt cost that much to ship a 'box to you. He has a great website too.
Good luck

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
TS is a very tall engine to run in a clubman - do you plan to dry sump it?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes,
Drty sump I had in mind. I work with hydraulics, so I have all needed hardware already at hand.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Maybe a more expensive route, but try Hewland and Xtrac. They are dedicated race car gearbox manufacturers. Might violate the Low Cost spirit of your Locost, though ;)

·
Premium Member
182 Posts
Bellhousing

Teemu,

I will send you a bell housing - send me a private message. Either use an Alfa 5 speed, or T-5 from a Ford Mustang.
I have thought about a Locost with Alfa power for awhile but I would use a small displacement engine for so light a car.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Teemu,

I will send you a bell housing - send me a private message. Either use an Alfa 5 speed, or T-5 from a Ford Mustang.
I have thought about a Locost with Alfa power for awhile but I would use a small displacement engine for so light a car.
Dear Dave,

Do you mean that a T5 ( or t9) has the same bolt patern from the alfa gearbox ( not belhousing) ?

·
Premium Member
182 Posts
I saw an Alfa GTV with a T-5 at a vintage race, and it was bolted to a standard bellhousing. I do not know if he had to re-drill the mounting holes (I would not be surprised if this were so), but he used the stock thow out bearing and eliminated the donut. The shift lever looked like it was in the right place. I will call him for more details and let you know....this sounds like a race application only.

·
Registered
370 Posts
I was reading in on this thread.. I am building a locost using a Volvo 240 as
a donor. I wanted to use an Alfa spider but I couldn't find a suitable candidate
at the time the volvo was Cheap!! $200 for a low mileage runner with a
broken rack. Used early 84 RX-7 rack and early Rx-7 Rad. Fiat X-1/9 Brake and clutch master (non power brake master is a must.) Volvo P1800 front
uprights... and Other stuff. Pic is older and ther is a bunch more done now.

Attachments

1 - 11 of 11 Posts