Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is EXCELLENT! I wish this forum lots of success! Alfa Romeo Owners are amongst the most enthusiastic, helpful, and intelligent of any car owner I know. :)

Now to my question. I own a couple of Alfa's and my 1987 Alfa Romeo Spider Quad is having a little transmission trouble. I have not wrenched on this car at all (no time) but may be interested in doing so. When I start from a standing stop in first gear, the shift lever pops out of gear and into neutral. It started doing this awhile ago and got progressively worse. I do not drive the car all that often, (I have a few other toys) but I did enjoy driving it and would like to again.

Can someone help me with a diagnostic procedure? What do I check first? What kind of experience do I need to have? Special tools? Is starting on a transmission problem as the first crack at wrenching on this car crazy? Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks...and thanks for this forum.

P.S What do I win for being the first poster? :D

·
Premium Member
1,451 Posts
I had the same problem in my GTV everytime driven in 1st it would pop out and in reverse, so I would have to hold it in. One day I took the center console apart, just to see what was under it. When I put it back together it stopped popping out.

So I then figured out what the problem was. There are two boots in my GTV and one of them was set real high up on the shifter which was causing 1st and reverse gear to pop out because the boot was strecthed and it gave it a pull back.

I dont really know how the setup is under a 87 spider. It might be the same problem I had.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I would check the trans. and motor mounts first.
I am about to replace a motor mount that is soo collapsed, due to long term oil leakage on the rubber, that the crank pulley is rubbing on the stabilizer bar.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Transmission

I had the same problem on my 71 Spider. My problem was it would pop out of 2nd and reverse. I ended up changing the tranny mount because it wasn't enabling the stick to fully engage the gears before hitting the center console.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I will be checking the tranny mount as soon as the holiday's are over. I will post results....Thanks guys!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts