Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey,
I just bought an 86 Spider "Graduate" with steel wheels, manual cranks etc., but the registration from Georgia stated "1986 Spider Veloce" and that is what the registration had to be in SC. How do I get this squared away. The Registrar in SC says I have to contact the Manufacturer. Also, the old owner did not say anything about this. All other information matches ie Vin, and external trim has "Graduate".

PS: I love the car, everything else is very satisfactory.

·
Trained (ex)Professional, , 1953-2018 RIP
16,232 Posts
Welcome, Huggy and congratulations on your purchase!

You can send an email with the chassis number to Marco Fazio at the Alfa Archives in Italy. Mr. Fazio will respond with the model and date of manufacture. The email address is [email protected] .

You can also sent me an email at [email protected] with the chassis number and I could write you a letter that would identify the model via the chassis number.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey Papajam,

I found some numbers on the firewall. Had to get a bright light.

ZAR115410 00042887

·
16,232 Posts
Yep. She's a Graduate alright.

The chassis numbers Alfa assigned to the 86 Grad are 42511 through 45010.

Please click on my papajam user name, select 'send a private message' and provide me your email address. I'll write something up that you can print out.

·
16,232 Posts
Letter (email actually) has been sent. :)

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Title

This problem is solved.
I took the cert's from Papajam and the factory. The SC DMV said they couldn't do anything, but when I received the title, it is registered as an "Alfa Spider".
PROBLEM SOLVED.
Thanks everyone for your help.

·
16,232 Posts
Thanks for the update. Glad it all worked out! :)

·
Registered
70 Posts
Yesterday I received the title from Illinois for my 66 Duetto, and they had erroneously listed the body as a "coupe" with no designation for the model. I was not satisfied, but the DMV people insisted it would cost me another $94 to correct the title, even though it was their error. No matter how I approached it, no matter with whom in that office, I faced another title fee.

So I checked the internet, picked up the phone, and called the Secretary of State. Jesse White. Personally. He answered the phone himself in his Chicago office. After a very brief explanation, he agreed that it was preposterous and said his fix-it person would call me. Three minutes later I got a call from someone at his Capital offices, and less than 24 hours later I have a fresh title in hand that says "1966 Alfa Romeo Duetto Convertible".
I have never been so impressed with a government official.

The punchline? I got home from the Capitol with my new title to find a letter in today's mail from the Revenuers. It seems the $25 tax I paid upon registration was improperly assessed by the same person who screwed up the title app. Now they want $750 PLUS a $75 penalty and interest for failure to pay the tax upon registration...

Dammit!

·
16,232 Posts
Hate to say this but the title is still wrong. Alfa Romeo never made a car called a Duetto.

Oops.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I figured that might elicit comment from someone; I am pleased nevertheless.

Most anyone on the Alfa BB probably has an opinion what a Duetto is or isn't, since so much controversy seems to be generated over that moniker and its various appellations.

You can find photos of AR660626 on the Duetto Registry:

660500->

...or maybe see it on the road near Springfield bearing Illinois Antique Plates "DUETTO" or at the hangar with its stablemates!

http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/mem...ood-day-picture830-t28-tugs-74-88-93-94ce.jpg

1 - 12 of 12 Posts