Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
9,977 Posts
No offense, Steve, but I think you need to put a little less money in the car and more into the house.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks General. They were produced from 1989 to 1991 (RZ from 1991 to 1993). I don't think the SZ was to replace anything but to show Europe that AR could still build sports cars! They had lost so much credibility with lacklustre cars (and for having invented rust!!) it was really a publicity stunt.

None taken John (Roadtrip), even if this picture was taken after the restoration. You should have seen it before!!

5am here in the UK, so must get to bed. Have been up watching Lenox punch Vitali's lights out.

Goodnight and Best regards
Steve

·
Registered
2,616 Posts
That's a really beautiful car! Especially with the those 18" wheels. Unfortunately I can't even put on 17" wheels on my 75 3.0. The wheel well is too small for a decent size tire on a set of 17" wheel. I can install REALLY low profile 17" tires which will result in a bent wheel in no time.

What have you done to the engine?

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks 75evo,

I suppose the beauty of split-rims is that you can replace just one part but you wouldn't want to be doing it to often!!

Engine? Nothing as yet, except for a 'Squadra' chip. Another owner is working on a Supercharger set-up, so will wait to see how he gets on with it, it certainly needs to be quicker! The SZ has 210 BHP (stock) but could easily handle 300. But you know how it is, if you have 300 the following week you want 400!!

Best regards
Steve

·
Registered
667 Posts
Arrrg! I can't take it anymore!!! I'm so jealous seeing all these cool SZ's and new Alfas and I can't get ANY of them!! :mad:

This is torture. Someone please figure out a way for me to get a 156 GTA and a SZ into the US! ;)

Zamani,
You should be able to make 225/45/17 tires fit your car... they are just very slightly larger than the 225/50/16 Victoracers that you run... it's like 0.10" difference. I'm going to try and make my 225/45/17 Falkens fit my Milano, and I'll let you know how much of the car is left when I'm done cutting & banging... haha :p

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Can someone please explain why it is so difficult to import an SZ into the States? I can understand a volume manufacturer having to abide by all legislation etc. but isn't there any exceptions for 'personal import' of one-off 'specials'?
Here in the UK providing a car were to pass a roadworthiness examination it would usually be allowed.

Best regards

Steve

Attachments

·
Registered
2,616 Posts
It's a 3.0 V6, similar to that in the 164S, except for minor differences. About 210 bhp. Not sure about weight.

I think Japan has the most SZs in the world.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
£15,000 for a well used example, double that for a low milage cherished one. The BIG problem is spares. Mechanicaly no real worries but all glass, all panels, lights, trim etc. are none existant.
Alfa (Zagato) made, reputedly, 1000 SZ's and then seemed to wash their hands of it. As early as 1994 it was getting dfficult to get the parts listed above. I have just managed to buy an SZ windscreen (just in case...) for a cost of £1,350. But I couldn't say no, they really are harder to find than WMD...

Best regards
Steve

ps. None of the above is an excuse for someone not to import one into the States... I have had mine 12 years and I still want to sleep with it!!

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
No, Sorry. But I will take some and post them soonest.

Best regards
Steve

ps And just to show that I do have a life other than my SZ here is a model I made recently...

Attachments

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
This model is solid and made from aluminium and resin. The resin is only used to hold all the ali powder together, so I say they are really ali models. First I produce a rough cast and then the work begins!! It is just a question of cutting, fileing, sanding etc. etc.(about 100 hours!!) until finished. I don't use any measurments (perhaps I should!) but work only by eye, so each one is a little different.

SZ trivia! Because the car is so low a neat two position suspension via hydrolic Koni shocks allows the car to be raised 1.5inches (40mm) at the touch of a button. This is ideal when negotiating speed humps, ramps, etc. At an Alfa meeting in Zandvoort recently I meet another UK owner who had his suspension on high. He said it was because his home city, York, had so many 'sleeping policemen' it was easier to leave it 'up' than press buttons all day. I did not have the heart to ask him how many speed humps he had encountered while driving for 400 miles at speeds in excess of 130mph on European motorways. He must have taken a different route to me....

At the risk of boring you....This one is on a similar theme, but takes 200 hours...... We must have bl++dy long winters in the UK!!

Attachments

1 - 20 of 29 Posts