Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,857 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Probably most by now know that the SZ(ES30) is a car based on the 75 IMSA racecar technology with regards of the chassis and suspension. Difference in engine though, as 1,8 R4 turbo in the IMSA, while 3,0 V6 12V in the SZ. The SZ has 210Hp for the road so there has been some projects to increase its power potential!
Came over this sales ad in Holland concerning a race prepared car with a 3,2 24V GTA engine with Throttle bodies and special induction. First time I see this solution for induction for the Jenvey/AHM type TB arrangement. Rest of the car is also very nicely made! I used the opportunity to link to the sales photos of this very special car!
As I plan to have a very similar arrangement in my track car, I just wonder who made that induction system? I will ask the dealer of course :)

Well, enjoy the photos, I did!

ALFA ROMEO SZ 3.2 V6 Trophy Racing - Auto Heida - BENNEKOM

G.K.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,607 Posts
Gabor,

Email JK on ITBs. He has a good lead on a very reasonably priced setup. Only thing you need th figure out is the plenum.

Zamani

·
Registered
2,857 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for that Zamani!
Yes I know he is working on a vertical TB set up and seen the photos on another link. Seems to be difficult to combine it with a plenum box. The same with a system made in S.Africa and of course the Jenvey crossover TBs. Strange that its so difficult to recreate something that even came from factory on the Montreal!

However its very important to make a decent plenum as tests here showed. The Jenvey set-up on a GTV6 3,2L showed nice power figures with the hood open, but lost around 20-30 hp with the hood closed! Then I think they removed the plastic cover on the hood!:)

Well, I think maybe a TB set up has to made here- just to look how it was made in the 155 V6 TI !

G.K.

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
There is some real nice engineering work in that SZ! :cool:

Good to see that the driving position and pedals have been moved back for better weight distribution.
And that roll cage!!! :D Some existing and aspiring cage builders could learn a lot from those pictures.

Thanks for sharing Garbor, it because of our international friends that we get to see some of the serious European stuff.
1 only language (I think it's called gibberish :p) people like myself would have missed out on some awesome photos over the years, without you Euro guys :D

·
Registered
45 Posts
Hi Gabor,

I suppose this SZ has a trick gearbox? The long gearlever only seems to be able to move back and forth, not sideways - which would indicate a sequential-type transaxle gearbox, right?

Excuse my ignorance, but have there been any works (or semi-official) sequential transaxle 'boxes?

Thanks for posting the ad - fascinating car.

·
Registered
186 Posts
That car was built by/for Heida himself... Very large amounts of money and work have gone into it. Most parts of the body have been replaced by lighter parts, car weighs a wholel ot less then original. Also altered suspension, very impressive rollcage and off course the engine.

Price for the car was around the 40.000 euro's a while back, quite cheap considering the work and costs involved...

·
Registered
2,857 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That car was built by/for Heida himself... Very large amounts of money and work have gone into it. Most parts of the body have been replaced by lighter parts, car weighs a wholel ot less then original. Also altered suspension, very impressive rollcage and off course the engine.

Price for the car was around the 40.000 euro's a while back, quite cheap considering the work and costs involved...
Hi there,
Nice that people who know this car, get to this site!

Could you tell more about the car, which I found had extraordinary build quality! How about engine state and are the brakes also improved? And who made the plenum, never seen that before!

G.K.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Sorry, can't help you with that info... I've seen the car once and also read a discussion on the Dutch forum about it. Brakes must be upgraded, original brakes are not so good..

But i'm sure you can send an email to the [email protected] adrss and get all the answers. They know everything about it and i would be surprised if they didn't understand English.

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
Hi Gabor,

I suppose this SZ has a trick gearbox? The long gearlever only seems to be able to move back and forth, not sideways - which would indicate a sequential-type transaxle gearbox, right?

Excuse my ignorance, but have there been any works (or semi-official) sequential transaxle 'boxes?

Thanks for posting the ad - fascinating car.
If you look closely, you can see that the gear lever is mounted on a spherical bearing. This will allow enough left and right movement to select the 3 different gates. So it's still a H pattern gearbox.
Checkout GTV.com for more of this sort of set up.

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
If you look closely, you can see that the gear lever is mounted on a spherical bearing. This will allow enough left and right movement to select the 3 different gates. So it's still a H pattern gearbox.
Checkout GTV.com for more of this sort of set up.

Hi Gabor!

Could you give me the web address where these kind of gear level mods are posted?

Cheers,
Laszlo

·
Registered
2,857 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hi Laszlo,

The owner of this car told me that a race car builder-friend of his built this car for him. So you must contact the owner in order to get in contact with the engineer. Maybe you can get him to make some shift sets to sell. You can hope! Here the contact adress:

[email protected]

Regards/Üdvözlettel

Gabor K.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi Laszlo,

The owner of this car told me that a race car builder-friend of his built this car for him. So you must contact the owner in order to get in contact with the engineer. Maybe you can get him to make some shift sets to sell. You can hope! Here the contact adress:

[email protected]

Regards/Üdvözlettel

Gabor K.

Thanks/ Nagyon köszönöm! :)

·
Registered
2,857 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
What I learned about this car is that it was a factory Trophy car, which means that the roll cage was factory, but all the rest of the car was like other SZs.

When the owner took over this car 5 years ago he decided to make a real race car out of it, so the car was stripped of body panels and copy molds were made of polyester and some carbon fiber parts. So everything is much lighter than original. The mechanicals were also upgraded as the engine is a 3,2L GTA engine with Jenvey TB kit. The mechanicals were made by a racing friend of his and the engine can be taken out in 15 minutes!
I have the understanding that the body parts can be duplicated easily, but about the mechanical parts like the gear shift system I did not get a clear answer.

G.K.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts