Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,681 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Check out the latest project that fell into our shop. We are dropping in a 1.8 16V Alfa 33 motor in this Sud. After that, it's time for paint and interior.

Rear

·
Registered
2,667 Posts
Wow Anthony. That's a nice Sud Ti. Those 16Vs are quite a piece of work. Its actually a 1.7, and has 4-throttles. A squadra tuning chip works wonders on those engine, like 140 bhp with the chip and no other mods.

The only issue is with those engine is that it only has 3 main bearings, as the block is very short. Doesn't do very in turbocharged applications with stock oilling.

Who will be driving it? Will it be an AROSC club racer?

·
Premium Member
6,681 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
the car belongs to dirk stoehr. i believe it's the one that was on ebay a while back. the car was sitting behind uwe's shop (omega motorsports) when i picked it up. i think his plan is to make a really cool street car out of it. if it were mine, i'd fully set it up for 1/4 drags and go show those 4 banger "import racers" what a italians can do best....go fast and win

·
Administrator
13,621 Posts
The only issue is with those engine is that it only has 3 main bearings, as the block is very short. Doesn't do very in turbocharged applications with stock oilling.
Interesting. I built a 200 hp 1600cc 2 valve Alfa Sud motor and yes we did run a bearing early in the development process, but this was simply because of corner surge.

These engines love to rev and can produce far more power/cc than the Alfa Nord engines. I guess that is progress ...

I used to run mine all day long to 8000 rpm but it would pull over 9000 rpm (and did on the dyno). And this was with standard 1.7 rods (which are slightly stronger than the smaller motors rods) ... okay they were shot peened. Over 10000 rpm would definitely be possible with Carello rods, etc.

I can not see why a 1700cc 4 valve motor could not make close to 240 hp, if seriously developed ... but this would be expensive.

Problems with this motor:
- Too heavy. The block is way to heavy, but very strong thanks to the way the main bearing caps cross bolt in.
- Yep I have broken a crankshaft ... but I missed a gear and it revved right off the end of the rev counter (thus way over 10000 rpm). Bloody rev limiter did not work! Thus I believe they are strong.
- 2 valve motor camshaft follower housing wears badly with race cams, as not enough support for cam follower. Brass sleaves fixes this ...

Other Sud problems:
- Standard clutch and gearbox are very weak. Gearboxes end up sounding like concrete mixes very quickly with over 150 hp, and clutch is close to useless for racing if transmitting big power.
- Rust. Especially around front windscreen pillars. Big power puts more stress on those pillars causing rust and cracks ... solution is a roll cage.
- Early Suds had inboard front brakes and handbrake on the front wheels. Alfetta rear calipers fit on the back (only need spacers) and thus you can move the handbrake to the rear. Car really needs vented discs with 4 pot calipers to make brakes good.

Otherwise great little cars that can give Lotus Cortinas a hard time on fast tracks :) :) :D

Pete

·
Administrator
13,621 Posts
Note you end up with 1600cc (1598 actually) if you use a 1700cc block and a 1500cc crank.

I raced in a under 1600cc 2v class and was definitely the most powerful engine, by far. No other manufacturer got close.

The only engine I think that could give it a run for the money is the Datsun single overhead cam motor ... as that is a little beauty too.

Pete

·
Registered
2,667 Posts
My friend turbocharged his 146 1,7 16V. It was as quick as a Mitsubishi Lancer GSR (1.8 Turbo). The problem was it didn't have the proper EFI for a car with about 9:1 pistons (shaved pistons) to control ignition when it came on boost (about 7 psi).

The knocking was probably what killed the bearings. I think if you have a good EFI the block will prove to be very effective, being stiff and short.

·
Registered
615 Posts
Boxer engines

I've always thought boxer engines are great because they are so well balanced and lower the cars' center of gravity. I wonder why more companies haven't devolped more 4 and 6 cylinder boxers.

Garrett

·
Registered
3,771 Posts
Are alfasuds street legal? How many are running about in the USA?

·
Registered
293 Posts
Grant said:
Are alfasuds street legal? How many are running about in the USA?
Hi,

yes, they are. Any car 25 years and older is DOT and EPA exempt and can
be imported without any restrictions.

I have a 1976 Alfasud 5m in original condition with original silver paint and
red Skai interior. It has 40.000 km. After three years of searching in Europe,
I found it in Northern Germany.

My 79 Sud Giardinetta is at a friend's shop in Germany getting restored and
an Alfa 33 1.7l 16 V fuel injected engine implanted. It's in a very rare color,
called bruno cilento, an orangy brown color. It still has the tan interior, which
is IMHO very ugly. I will replace it with a different color.

Best regards from Oceanside, CA.

Hans

1958 Giulietta Spider
1976 Alfasud 5m
1979 Alfasud Giardinetta
1979 Alfa Sei (4 sale)
1986 Alfa 90 2.0 Super V6
1987 Alfa 33 TD (sold)

Attachments

·
Registered
30 Posts
Nice to see an good old AlfaSud in the USA.
Keep em running guys, the Suds are getting pretty rare these days. :rolleyes:

And i have respect for you guys to have/import them on your continent.

Keep the boxer-spirit alive. :D

Saluti sportive, Arjan. :cool:

·
Registered
109 Posts
that is an engine out of a 33 1,7 16v isn't it??
If you can have a sud over here can you also bring in a 33???

By the way those alloys are great !!!!

·
Registered
293 Posts
mrbram77 said:
that is an engine out of a 33 1,7 16v isn't it??
If you can have a sud over here can you also bring in a 33???

Hi,

yes, it can be done. :D :D :D :D

Let me know, when you are ready to bring one in.

Best regards

Hans

1958 Giulietta Spider
1976 Alfasud 5m
1979 Alfasud Giardinetta
1979 Alfa Sei (4 sale)
1986 Alfa 90 2.0 Super V6
1987 Alfa 33 TD (sold)

·
Registered
109 Posts
Hans you just made my year. ever since i came here i've missed my 33 but everyone i've asked told me they couldn't legaly be imported. SO If i want can i import a '94 33 1,7 16v qv??

By the way are you dutch??

Thanks Bram

1 - 20 of 21 Posts