Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

I am helping out a friend restore his Alfa sprint gt. Only problem is the car he bought has a modified engine made to take an alfa 75 cylinder head with custom inlet manifold.

My question is, what series engine could be used to replace this modified engine?

I've got a 1.6 alfetta engine available. Could this be used and have the cam cover replaced with the gtv style cam cover to look correct? I believe the sprint gt was fitted with a 1.6 ltr engine, but cam covers look different

This is was is currently fitted in the car :

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
870 Posts
To fit the Alfetta engine, I think you would have to change the sump, oil pump and maybe other bits like the timing chain housing, but I'm sure others that have done this will chime in with a full list.
I'm sure you can fit the early cam cover (with the dip in it to accomodate the cross over filter tube), to the later 1600 engine.
The cam cover in your photo is peculiar to the Twin Spark motor.

Steve

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Steve,

That's why I believe is from an alfa 75 however I believe the studs were re tapped to take on the 75 cylinder head.

If we manage to do the above ... would that mean that we should have a period correct engine?

I'm trying to get to as original as possible.

Will also be in touch regarding other parts that need to be changed.. as the back light are also incorrect.

·
Trained (ex)Professional, , 1953-2018 RIP,
16,232 Posts
Yes. The Giulia Sprint GT was fitted with engine type 00502 while the Veloce version had a 00536 engine.
Be aware that not all Alfetta crankshafts are the same. Some are not drilled for the pilot bushing required for the gearbox input shaft for a 105/115 series car. The shaft could always be drilled for a bushing though.

·
Super Moderator
10,591 Posts
Wow, that is one modified Alfa! Returning it to its original condition is going to take some work.

As others have commented, that looks like a twinspark engine (or at least a twinspark head + cam cover). How many spark plug holes does it have? I only see 4 plug wires.

Yes, a Sprint GT should have a 1.6L engine. However, any displacement "nord" engine will fit and is going to look a lot more original than the engine currently installed. As others have commented, an engine from an Alfa with a rear-mounted transmission (e.g., Alfetta) will require more work since it will need an oil pan and oil pump from a front-transmission Alfa, and possibly a pilot hole drilled in its crankshaft.

Too bad about the radio cut-out in the dash. Looks like a stick of dynamite was used to expand the opening.

·
Registered
870 Posts
Looks to have had a later complete rear panel.
The tail lights look like they are from the later 2000GTV and / or last production GT Juniors, 75/76/77 ?
Also I think the original Sprint GT wouldn't have had the reversing light aperture in the back panel,
Steve

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Those tail lights are not from any 105 GT model I've ever seen.

Also - the reverse light aperture is the same on all 105 GT models*. It's a 105.02 part number. (*some GTA might not have one).

·
Registered
2,212 Posts
I wouldn't worry about that engine at all - makes kind of a nice hot rod - but certainly about the taillights ... early 5-series BMW upside down by any chance?

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hi Guys,

Believe it or not the tail lights are actually off a toyota ! .. They will be replaced either by 2000 lights or else back original .. but this will incur changing the whole rear panel.

Does anyone know where I might be able to source a replacement dashboard facia?

I'm sure I'll be needing alot of help to get this car back to original.

There are only 4 ht leads installed.. but 2 distributors present .. the car is also running a facet pump .. (i'd imagine it should need an original mechanical pump)

The car also has 2 coils installed but only running one .. I will get hold of more parts.

I am going to look into whether the engine block is original ... Would anyone know where the engine and chassis numbers are located?

·
16,232 Posts
Would anyone know where the engine and chassis numbers are located?
The engine number could be in two different places depending on manufacture date. Early engines, up to about 1970, have the number on the right side of the block between the distributor and the engine mount. The number on later engines is on the left side bellhousing flange under the #4 cylinder exhaust pipe.
The chassis number is stamped into the right side firewall in the engine bay.

·
16,232 Posts
Believe it or not the tail lights are actually off a toyota ! .. They will be replaced either by 2000 lights or else back original .. but this will incur changing the whole rear panel.
Not necessarily. The conversion of our large taillight 1971 USA 1750 to small taillights required only filling in the gaps with sheet metal.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
10,591 Posts
Does anyone know where I might be able to source a replacement dashboard facia?
Do you mean this part:

Alfaholics carries this part; see: Alfaholics Glass Fibre Dashboard - Stepfront - Pre Preg - Classic Alfa Romeo spare parts They also offer a carbon fiber version.

Fiberglass reproductions are all that is available today - no one is remaking stepnose dashes out of cardboard as Alfa did 50 years ago.

Instead of spending £410, plus the time to finish an aftermarket dash, could you repair the existing dash?

·
Super Moderator
10,591 Posts
I could probably have a fibreglass dash made locally cheaper than that !
What is wrong with the original dash, besides the huge cut-out for a radio? I patched a similar problem on my cardboard dash by applying fiberglass cloth & resin from the rear. Of course, it had to be re-textured and painted, but you would also need to do that with a fiberglass/reproduction dash.

I am going to look into whether the engine block is original ...
It will be interesting to hear what you report back on this. I am guessing that the block currently in the car is from a modern, 2 liter twinspark; not a nord block with a twinspark head grafted on.

But even if someone did do the modifications to make a twinspark head fit a nord block, it seems unlikely they would have done this with the original 1600cc block. I wouldn't think the 1600cc block's cylinder spacing would line up with the 2L head's combustion chamber spacing. And why go through all that work to achieve 25% less displacement?

So you will probably need a complete 1600cc engine if you really want to return that Alfa to stock condition.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks Alfajay,

I'll have to look into and take some proper pics next time I'm near the car.

Regarding the dash, I'll see how much it would cost to replicate in fibreglass.. Because if it's not that expensive, it would be worth replacing the whole unit rather than patching the hole, as it is quite large.

Regarding tail lights, wouldn't you need the panel to give you the beveled effect around the lights? Or can this be done by a skilled panel beater?

·
Premium Member
2,527 Posts
Does not look correct, the lettering on the valve cover is wrong, sensor on the back of the head and the flywheel looks Alfetta. Sell the engine in the photo and the one in the car and buy the correct engine for the GT if you are at all interested in originality.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts