Alfa Romeo Forums banner

61 - 80 of 2244 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Quote: Not too hard or expensive to pack a car in a container and bring it over.
I'm bringing my US GTV6 to England with me when I move.

Devilspeed:
I don't think that's so easy if the car is not 25 or older!!
Gabriele

·
Registered
5,457 Posts
Discussion Starter #64
Well, today on my way to go look at a 164L in Vacaville/Fairfield, we saw a white ~74' Spider Veloce with two lads in it. My neighbor and I were in the 164S and gave a kind salute as we exited the freeway.

The 164L we looked at was way too thrashed. It had duct tape around the plenum and smoked a bit. I referred them to Larry @ APE...

·
Registered
594 Posts
gp64usa said:
Quote: Not too hard or expensive to pack a car in a container and bring it over.
I'm bringing my US GTV6 to England with me when I move.

Devilspeed:
I don't think that's so easy if the car is not 25 or older!!
Gabriele
I have looked into this and as far as I can tell the car has to be older than 15 years and there won't be a problem. Where did you get your information from? I'm hoping to move my 86 GTV6 from Canada to the UK within the next month or 2 and from the info I have I won't have a problem.

Have you tried to do this and had a problem, or have I been misinformed?

·
Registered
93 Posts
Last Friday I was picking up my buddy for lunch at Apple in Cupertino and saw a late 80's black Spider in the parking lot.

Two weeks ago I was in LA with my wife for King Tut's exhibits and saw a cream colored early 70's Spider and whole bunch of Ferraris and Lambys on Rodeo drive.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
With all these Alfa sitings, you'd think someone would reply, "Hey, that was me!"

There must be a lot of Alfisti out there who need to be recruited to the BB !! :D

·
Registered
5,457 Posts
Discussion Starter #69
I'm in Ireland right now and just saw 10 Alfas within an hour when leaving the airport.

Amazing!!! I'll try to get some pics on here!

Mostly 166's, 156's

I wonder if I could get one of the Alfa dealers to let me test drive one!!! Whatya think?!?!

·
Registered
3,807 Posts
Alfa spotting

Here in Italy where I am living at present, (in a hill town), spotting Alfas is not a problem. You see 10 - 20 per day just walking around town - lots of 147s, 156s, the occasional 166, some 145s, 146s and 155s and 33s. The challenge is spotting red ones or other stand out colours (Italians are fixated on silver for some reason). Spotting 75s is also a challenge because your average Italian has no interest in "old" cars. The exceptions are Alfa 33s (nearly all 1.3 litres), because, I think, they are cheap, reliable runabouts that are fun to drive, and Fiat 500s, Pandas and Unos.
In Adelaide, South Australia where I normally live, 147s & 156s are very popular. You see a few 33s, some 75s, 164s and the occasional Alfetta GTV and earlier cars (often in very good condition). No Alfas were imported between 1993 and 1998. Alfas are well respected and parts and mechanics are easy to find. Parts for old ones are much cheaper now than when the cars were new. I should add that we have a large Italian population.
I just popped out my door here in Italy and spotted this one in the street next to mine within 30 seconds. See what I mean about the silver? It is a 1.9 JTD.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
A little off-topic, but this evening I saw a white Testarossa on the expressway. Maybe it's just me, but those cars are really not attractive. From the rear, it looked like a Fiero on steriods.

I've seem them before and thought they looked better, but the design doesn't seem to have aged well.

·
Registered
594 Posts
It's not just you, I've never found them attractive at all but would happily have one in the garage. White is not the best colour for the car either. One of the problems with the Testa is the sidestrakes were copied by everyone and even came out as a sticker for the most mundane cars.

A lot of people felt Ferraris became too big. But I suppose a lot of the design is staight from the F1 circuit so it ends up as a big footprint. The newer Ferraris have improved the situation a lot, except the new 4 seater Scaglietti is really bland.

·
Registered
80 Posts
GreyGTV6 said:
I have looked into this and as far as I can tell the car has to be older than 15 years and there won't be a problem. Where did you get your information from? I'm hoping to move my 86 GTV6 from Canada to the UK within the next month or 2 and from the info I have I won't have a problem.

Have you tried to do this and had a problem, or have I been misinformed?

I used to be an ocean freight forwarder and I do not recall any such
regulation. I will check with UK Customs but I believe the 15 year rule
is the correct one. I'll let you know more about this when I find out.
I'm not going til next year anyway but I am really looking forward to
being a potential European citizen. I will mostly miss my mechanic and
waking up to Legends of Motorsport on Speed. :)

·
Premium Member
1,535 Posts
DaveH said:
I'll take the Guinness truck over the FIATs anyday :)
Hear! Hear! :D

·
Registered
786 Posts
I saw a nice looking Gray Milano, driving home from work last night at Park Ave. and 46th Street, about 9:30 PM

Anyone on the board?

61 - 80 of 2244 Posts