Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I was very fortunate to pick up a great '91 Spider back in April. Since then it's behaved, more or less, with a minor issue of rough idle/running (with very strong smell of fuel from the exhaust at start, and during any running, with corresponding increased fuel consumption) that I have not been able to get to grips with. The car had been sat for around 3 years prior to me getting it, so I have changed the fuel filter, air hose (perforated) and spark plugs, but that has not made any improvement. Thoughts are the IACV, fuel pump or perhaps dirty injectors? Also, the VVT solenoid is loose due to the gasket having melted away (I have read the links on this issue and will get to it soon). Does anyone know a knowledgable Alfa mechanic in the Las Vegas area or have any further ideas on this issue?

Many thanks,

GiV

·
1966-2013
13,741 Posts
Sitting around be bad for things.
Clean out the tank, get the injectors serviced
Don't use the pour it in the tank stuff. Remove them and send them off to be properly cleaned and tested, because no off the shelf fuel additive is going to unclog gummed injectors. It may carry crap from the tank or lines up to the injectors, but it won't revive them.

Clean the IACV with carb cleaner to get rid of any potential gum~n~gunk as it not only deals with idle speed, but functions as part of the cold start system in place of the AAV that the L-jetronic equipped engines had.
(instead of an AAV opening to bypass extra air for cold starting, the IACV opens up instead, then controls idle speed once the engine is running)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts