Alfa Romeo Forums banner

Alfa spider Hazard light button

Wanted 
2K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  alfas07 
#1 ·
I have a 76 spider. Hazard push button does not work. Anyone got another?
If so please msg me with price.
Regards,
John

#6 · (Edited)
Seems like switch won't stick when pressed.
Yea, that is the classic failure mode. Lots written on this forum, as well as the early BMW forums about this problem - in theory you can disassemble the switch, sharpen the plastic tangs and it will grip again (for awhile). But when it fails your flashers run until the battery goes dead. A new switch is the best solution if you want your car to remain stock (e.g., push in for normal, pop out for flashers).

Someone on the BMW e9 discussion forum suggested a modification that allows the switch to work the opposite way (out for normal, in for flash). I did this on my BMW e9 and it worked well. The advantage is that there is no force on those soft, plastic tangs during normal use (which is 99.99% of the time). I know how this works on the 6 pin switches - not sure if it could be applied to the 8 pin. Let me know if you are interested.

Here is one discussion on the e9 forum: http://www.e9coupe.com/forum/threads/re-emergency-flasher-switch.14525/#post-118133

#9 ·
I know what you are referring to, but don't know the answer to your question. Are you talking about 6 terminal or 8 terminal switches? I thought the 6's did NOT have the resistor.

I suppose you could install a new switch with the resistor, and then if the switch doesn't behave properly, try clipping the resistor out.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.