Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

I just purchased a 1987 Alfa Romeo Spider (First time Alfa owner) and it needs some work done.

My air filter needs to be replaced and I was wondering what kind of air filter I should be looking at. My friend also told me that instead of replacing the air filter in the air box currently, I should just do an airbox delete and remove it completely and add an aftermarket Air Filter/intake into the Spider. Was wondering if this could be done, if so it would open up a lot of space to "re-modify things" in the engine bay.

Any help would be much appreciated..

Thanks!

·
Registered
8,593 Posts
I'd just replace the filter element in the original airbox.
Deleting the airbox and say fitting a K&N cone requires a bit of fiddling and an extra 160$....not worth it in my mind.
http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/877633-post11.html

A drop in K&N (so keep the original airbox) is also fairly dear, 60/70$ maybe, compared to the normal paper element, and has the # 33-2546

the normal paper drop in element, IAP #1108, costs 20$ or less and does the job perfectly well!

·
Registered
76 Posts
I replaced mine with a Pipercross item from Alfaholics. Not a jot of difference noted in performance but it was horribly noisy. I've now gone back to the original much to the appreciation of the neighbours!

·
Registered
4,307 Posts
People who insist that deleting or replacing the air filter will improve performance usually don't have any idea what they are talking about. The engineers at Alfa Romeo did not design an engine that at wide open throttle and redline would pass a known specific volume of air per minute and then slap on an air filter that could only pass a fraction of that amount.

I mean, why on earth would they do that?

·
Registered
134 Posts
An alternate opinion

I've been running a "Cold Air" input for 15 years. I don't think there is much difference in sound. Since I have not dynoed it, I can't personally say how much dif, if any, it makes.

However, my mechanic used to build engines for the factory Alfa race team back in the day and personally holds SCCA track records in a spider purchased from the race team when it was disbanded. Arguably the best and most knowledgeable Alfa mechanic in the country said there was a noticeable difference.

That said, I bought the intake as something to play with. Was it worth the money. Who's to say?

If you want the name and number of my mechanic send me a private message. I warn you there is a long waiting list.

Herb

·
Premium Member
1,332 Posts
Other cars benefit from a CAI; the airbox was designed to muffle intake noise at the expense of some airflow. It doesn't sound like this is the case with an Alfa spider, but I've felt seat of the pants changes in a couple of BMW's I used to own.

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
Intake

Here is my air intake. If you shop around you can do a low cost one yourself. A few years past I purchased the air filter and adapter on ebay for $15. Made the cold box from scrap aluminum and insulation. I think the whole thing cost me $30 total. No real performance increase, but it made the exhaust growl a bit more.
Intake.jpg

·
Registered
229 Posts
Sporting, I sent you a PM last night.
If you are interested, I have a K&N cold air intake for sale complete with all applicable hardware on the BB. It came off an 84 Spider and basically looks like the picture above. Comes with the adapter and h/w to bolt right onto the air flow meter, but the support bracket goes onto the bolt that supports your dipstick. Very simple and easy replacement.

http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/alfa-romeo-parts-sale-wanted/412097-k-n-cold-air-intake.html

Please let me know if you are interested or have any questions.
Thanks,
Les

1 - 9 of 9 Posts