Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all!
First post here from a first-time-owner of an Alfa :). The car has been locked in a garage for a few years so it needs some care. It can start (but doesn't run well) and I would like to start with the mechanical part before moving onto body and interior. I've noticed few things that need explanation:

1. I found a green single wire (connector) leading nowhere. It's close to the coil but there is no terminal on the coil or nearby to connect it to. Any ideas?

2. The white ceramic resistor - what it is used for? Cold start ballast resistor?
How should it be connected, it seems like it's never been used.

3.If you compare the two pictures of the sway bar "connections" (sorry for the lack of correct terms, they will come!). Something does not look right on the right side, the bolt and the sway bar link (correct?) shouldn't be touching like that, right? What to do in this case? On the left side it looks fine to me.

4. I took a picture of the rubber seals between the carburetors and engine and all four have the same type of cracks as seen on the picture - how bad is it?

Thanks/Aln

Attachments

·
Administrator
17,387 Posts
Hello & welcome to the AlfaBB. It is good you posted pictures - now we need some photos of the top side of your Spider. And maybe some pretty Swedish women, too...

As for the sway bar links, our car is at home and I am at work (plus my memory cannot be relied upon) but it seems like the links are backwards or swapped left for right. In other words, it looks like they'd fit better if the 'bend' went the other way.

I can't help with the other questions - our Spider has Bosch FI - yours must have carbs. The rubber sure shouldn't be cracked though.

If you contact BB member PapaJam he might have a color coded wire diagram for your model. Scroll down to the electrical section, click on his username and choose 'send a private message'.

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
Welcome!
First of all in our hemisphere an 84 Spider was with Bosch fuel injection and Bosch Ignition System. There are two ECU's (Electronic Control Units to accomplish this).
Your car is quite different to any we have here (except for some of the mechanicals and body). The Sway Bar end links, to me look OK, Except thast there has been some mechanical "hit"/damage. The carb intake runners are to be replaced for sure!
Best regards, Elio

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
hello!

elio: you're correct, it's not a Bosch injection system (but the coil is Bosch :)) and I've been wondering why I can't find similar models here on the BB. It is a '84 model but probably some Euro-variant, or the last one of the 'carbs' breed. Anyway, I picked up 4 jackstands today and some chemicals so I'm going in now...

·
1966-2013
13,741 Posts
IIRC, US got Bosch L-jetronic through the entirety of the 3 (82~89) series while Europe got carb'd ones up until the late series 3 'monopod' cars were introduced (86~89)

You've not seen any like yours here on the forum simply because we're based in the US and there's more US spider owners here than European. There are some here of course, but few and far between, and certainly difficult to find using the search engine as continental specification/designation generally doesn't come up as part of the discussion.

I suppose 'euro spec' could be used as a keyword to spook around, but likely that will bring up a slew of S2's and GTV's rather than S3's.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts