Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am currently using Mobil 1 Synth 5W30 and has been running fine

I was going to change oil and filtert prior to storage and someone locally recommended i use the 15W50 Mobil 1 Synthetic

Can any one provide some recomendations on which type would be better suited for this Alfa 87 spider?

Thanks

·
Administrator
16,985 Posts
One of the big controversies about oils to use in our cars is the level of zinc additives. Zinc is required for the type of camshaft/buckets they have (vs more modern cars that are designed for lower zinc levels with roller lifters).

The easiest thing to do is avoid any oil labeled 'energy conserving'. These tend to be the lower weight oils. I'm not sure about Mobil's 15w-50 but it is likely their 5w-30 has the lower zinc levels.

FWIW, I have been using Shell Rotella 15w-40 (non-synthetic). Shell also sells a 5w-40 synthetic. These are oils formulated for diesel engines. My understanding is these oils do have adequate levels of zinc (for now).

·
Registered
3,922 Posts
FWIW, I have been using Shell Rotella 15w-40 (non-synthetic)....... My understanding is these oils do have adequate levels of zinc (for now).
that's what I'm using also

·
1966-2013
13,741 Posts
It's prolly in your best interest to avoid the Fram oil filters.
A thread search will give you more info regarding that.

Purolator would be a good choice IMO, but there's threads all over with other options too.
Likely they'll come up when you search for the info on Fram.

Better results will likely be had in the forum subsection specific to your car, or the engine rebuilding subsection rather than this subsection as things are geared more toward control systems like SPICA, carbs, aftermarket EFI, etc. rather than general service related stuff.

·
Registered
136 Posts
What’s best in this situation, previous owner has no idea of what Engine oil is in the car, I want to add 1 qt. of oil, it’s a quart low and red oil light came on. I’m going to wait until the Pandemic is over for oil change & filter. So What’s to add? Synthetic or Non Synthetic? My guess is if by chance what’s in it is not synthetic, 1 qt. of synthetic Can’t hurt anything.

·
Administrator
16,985 Posts
All motor oils are compatible. Nothing drastic will happen if you add a quart of synthetic to non-synthetic or vice versa.

More worrisome is why the oil pressure warning light came on. They are usually triggered at a very low setting - 5 to 7 psi for example. Being down one quart should not allow the oil pressure to be that low. (It could be as simple as a faulty oil pressure warning switch.) Your Alfa should have both a switch for the warning light and a sender for the dash gauge. What model/year Alfa do you have?

·
Registered
136 Posts
Oh, more info on that please!! 1987 Spider Graduate, fuel injected 2000cc. When I bought it very recently, only the low fuel gauge was on in spite of 1/2 tank of fuel. I replay The Guel sending unit, light still on. I then noticed The oil pressure gauge was not working, I tested and found the oil pressure sending unit was bad. I installed a new one and ... WA LAAA! New problem, red oil pressure gauge light came on. I know the car is 1qt. Low and has a oil leak somewhere under mid engine, the loser prev. Owner says oh. Probably oil pan gasket, I’m sure it’s something more. Please tell more about what else and where located I can check other oil pressure situation. My 1st. Alfa experience,
Thanks,
Harry G.

·
Registered
134 Posts
15w50 or I'm using this 20w50 from Amsoil. If you order from Amsoil please use referral code #5172967. It would be appreciated.

·
Administrator
16,985 Posts
I replaced the sending unit at the D/S on the engine block beneath the exhaust manifold.
Originally (who knows what a PO has altered) the switch for the warning light was low in the left side and the sender for the gauge is at the right rear.

·
Registered
136 Posts
All motor oils are compatible. Nothing drastic will happen if you add a quart of synthetic to non-synthetic or vice versa.

More worrisome is why the oil pressure warning light came on. They are usually triggered at a very low setting - 5 to 7 psi for example. Being down one quart should not allow the oil pressure to be that low. (It could be as simple as a faulty oil pressure warning switch.) Your Alfa should have both a switch for the warning light and a sender for the dash gauge. What model/year Alfa do you have?
Hi, agh I,
If you have a moment. Can you direct me to where the second oil switch you referenced would be located on my 1987 Spider? I want to address the red oil idiot light on in the gauge. I replaced the oil sending unit on the engine block
Thank you ,
Murderman.

·
Administrator
16,985 Posts
The low oil pressure switch - for the warning light - is near the bottom of the dipstick tube on the left side of the block (behind the exhaust manifold).

The sender for the oil pressure gauge is on the right rear of the block under the intake plenum.

·
Registered
136 Posts
?awesome thanks!
Is the pic showing the oil send on the Right rear side of the block? I can’t tell by the pic which one it is showing. Thank you greatly!! Thanks to the gentleman who sent me the fuse box dia. I located and replaced the blown fuse for my lights. I am getting there. Just have to correct this red oil light situation.
thanks all!!
much appreciated,
Harry G.
The low oil pressure switch - for the warning light - is near the bottom of the dipstick tube on the left side of the block (behind the exhaust manifold).

The sender for the oil pressure gauge is on the right rear of the block under the intake plenum.
View attachment 1620250

View attachment 1620253

·
Registered
136 Posts
Is the pic showing the oil send on the Right rear side of the block? I can’t tell by the pic which one it is showing. Thank you greatly!! Thanks to the gentleman who sent me the fuse box dia. I located and replaced the blown fuse for my lights. I am getting there. Just have to correct this red oil light situation.
thanks all!!
much appreciated,
Harry G.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Great info with the Diagram and all. I replaced the left side low oil pressure unit, easy to access. Do you happen to have knowledge as to how the right side oil pressure unit can be checked, accessed or replaced? Do I need a shop to get to that or is there a way I can if you know? ? thanks!!

·
Administrator
16,985 Posts
Is the pic showing the oil send on the Right rear side of the block?
Yes, the photo shows the sender for the oil pressure gauge. That is on the right side of the block.

It can be accessed without removing any other parts. It will have either a 14mm or 17mm hex against the block. You'll need a short, thin wrench to get on it. I use a bicycle wrench. They are stamped out of 1/8" steel so easy to cut/bend to make a custom wrench for the sender.

You can test the gauge & wiring by switching on the ignition then grounding the wire attached to the sender (remove it from the sender and touch it to bare metal). The gauge needle should go to maximum. If it does the gauge & the wire are OK.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts