Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
I have just bought myself a 1978 Spider 2000 sold new in Texas, as I live in Norway I am not familiar with the US spec once, can anyone fill me in ?
Are there LSD on it ? how much BHP is it and so on ... ;-)

thank you in advance !

Regards
Tacconi

·
Premium Member
5,739 Posts
Well in stock form they are rather underwhelming. The rubber bumpers top the list of injustices. The Spica was detuned and the ride height increased to meet Fed requirements. The weight increased with increased crash protection. The center console is cluttered with too many warning lights. USA headlights and side markers are inferior to the euro version.

All that said, it's a great basis for a great car. Just about everything is reversible. Euro bumpers, sport springs, lots of performance upgrades. You can replace the headlight buckets with euro style that mount from the inside (the tabs are still present) to allow you to add headlight covers. If you are going to do any bodywork you can weld up the side marker holes and install the round markers.

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
Yes, it'll have an LSD (least would have when new) but a shorter final drive than a non-US one. Others correct me if I'm wrong but my understanding is US cars came with 4.55:1 final drive vs. 4.1:1 in non-US cars. But of course with these it's all about the body, is it all still there?

·
Premium Member
5,739 Posts
Yes, it'll have an LSD (least would have when new) but a shorter final drive than a non-US one. Others correct me if I'm wrong but my understanding is US cars came with 4.55:1 final drive vs. 4.1:1 in non-US cars. But of course with these it's all about the body, is it all still there?
USA Spiders had 4.56 LSD rear ends from '72-'79. Thereafter they went to 4.10 and in a few cases of automatics, 4.30.

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
110 HP per spec for NA Spider 2000 in stock set-up. Probably less now, if the engine hasn't been touched.

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
Sad... I believe the '74 (best Spica year) was 130 hp - what we do these days for an extra 20 hp ...
Yeah, have a 79 Spider in the shop now. Spica. Trying to get the most out of it without too much $$$$ on my time and parts. I usually attack the exhaust manifold/down pipe change to earlier 4 to 2 system. Remove air pump (if it still has one), electronic ignition, change cams and tweak cam timing as far as it can go. It does help to make it more driveable & fun.

Reactions: gprocket

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi , Thank you for many answers ! I will get the car home this weekend and have a good look at it ;-)

Rgd Tacconi

1 - 9 of 9 Posts