Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Help please! Has anyone any idea of:-

a) was metallic silver/grey a colour that the S2 Spider came in, and

b) if so, what might the current paint code be?

Thanks in anticipation,

Nick

·
Premium Member
1,343 Posts
While you may have the correct code, in the last year, my PPG paint store has told me that the EPA has stopped them from using certain components of the original Alfa paint mix and they have had to do a color scan and a custom mix.
This might not be a problem in the UK

·
Push hard and live
10,909 Posts
Codes are good for a historical reference, but useless for obtaining the color you have in your mind’s eye. The only way to get what you want is to start with a sample you like, get a color-camera scan, mix a small sample, and get a true paint matching wizard to start diddling until you get the color you like.

Metallics are even worse.

Im currently repainting my old beater 85 Ford F-150. It was originally done in a mid-range metallic blue. If there was any color in the world that should be sitting on the shelf, ready to use, it would be the standard blue used on one of the world’s most-produced vehicles.

Nope.

Worse, my friend and paint magician Kelly (look at pictures of the 2019 Concorso Italiano “Best of Marque” Alfa to see his work) has advised me that we must apply the color to the entire truck all at once, instead of cab one day and bed on another, as the metal flake paint WILL come out differently on the two days due to temp, humidity, astrology, or whatever.

Paint codes are interesting history, but not a precision tool.

Reactions: GTA ALFA

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Help please! Has anyone any idea of:-

a) was metallic silver/grey a colour that the S2 Spider came in, and

b) if so, what might the current paint code be?

Thanks in anticipation,

Nick
Thanks everyone for your replies, especially ossodiseppia and GTA ALFA, between your replies, I've come up with the answer, again thanks Nick

1 - 7 of 7 Posts