Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,548 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had this special tool since alfa had a big sale on tools back in the mid 90's. I have never known what it was for. A couple of weeks ago I came across a special tool catalog for 1977 on ebay in france. So I bought it and it was in there. The tool works on Giulias, 2000, montreal's,alfettas and the F12 benzina. My guess is it will pretty much work on any of the overhead gas cam engines. So now I know that it is a tool for scribing reference lines on the front camshaft journals. What is interesting is mine has a A.4.0199 and the one in the book has a A.4.0129 number and only goes to 15 degrees and the A.4.0199 that I have goes to 20 degrees. I would like to find out if mine is older or newer then the one in the catalog.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,548 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
more pictures

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,548 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Question for the moderators. I have around 100 alfa special tools and was thinking of starting a thread with pictures numbers and a brief description of the tool and what models it fits.

What would be the best thread to put this in?

Could or should it be a sticky?

Is there a way to post it all without another post interrupting the pictures?

This will be the first time I'm doing something like this. If there is a better way to discuss this please let me know.

·
Premium Member
3,671 Posts
Great tool!

Wish I had it when I changed my cams.

Vin

·
Premium Member
4,548 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Great tool!

Wish I had it when I changed my cams.

Vin
I followed your thread when you did your engine. When I figured out what I had the first thought I had was you doing the cams on your engine.

·
Premium Member
3,671 Posts
I followed your thread when you did your engine. When I figured out what I had the first thought I had was you doing the cams on your engine.
Thanks!

Yup, would have saved me a lot of money I spent on Tums!:laugh:

Vin

·
Registered
4,651 Posts
That is a cool tool. Is there any paper work on explaining how to put a reference mark for a particular cam or engine?

·
Administrator
17,066 Posts
Question for the moderators. I have around 100 alfa special tools and was thinking of starting a thread with pictures numbers and a brief description of the tool and what models it fits.

What would be the best thread to put this in?

Could or should it be a sticky?

Is there a way to post it all without another post interrupting the pictures?

This will be the first time I'm doing something like this. If there is a better way to discuss this please let me know.
I quess if they are all engine repair/rebuilding tools then this section would be a good place for such a thread.

It can be a sticky. One downside to having many threads stuck is that it leaves less room for the active threads. Probably not an issue in this section however.

I don't think we can make it impossible for someone to interrupt it. You can ask others to avoid replying in order to keep it 'pure' (or at least to avoid any off-topic/irrelevant replies). And, if/when it does happen, we can edit/remove inappropriate posts (just send us an alert and we do it as soon as we get a Roun Tuit).

·
Premium Member
21,714 Posts
Agreed.
I am reluctant to create a lot of stickies myself for the same reason, we're facing a bit of overload in the Sedan and Giulietta forums, but we don't have any in this forum yet.

We could also put it in Shop Talk, or maybe create a new Factory Tools forum. I am into these big time, wish I had this tool

Andrew

·
Premium Member
3,671 Posts
Man I have been thinking about that tool since I seen it!

While I dont need it right now, I want one! :laugh:

Lucky guy.

Vin

·
Premium Member
4,548 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I quess if they are all engine repair/rebuilding tools then this section would be a good place for such a thread.

It can be a sticky. One downside to having many threads stuck is that it leaves less room for the active threads. Probably not an issue in this section however.

I don't think we can make it impossible for someone to interrupt it. You can ask others to avoid replying in order to keep it 'pure' (or at least to avoid any off-topic/irrelevant replies). And, if/when it does happen, we can edit/remove inappropriate posts (just send us an alert and we do it as soon as we get a Roun Tuit).
I wouldn't have any problem with people posting on it. As I would want other people to post the tools they have. I was just wondering if there was a way I could post all the ones I have before someone posted something. As I have around a 100 tools I'm guessing it would take somewhere around 75 post to get them all on. I'm going to have to do some thinking on this as the tools I have cover everything engine, fuel, suspension and models from the late 60's to the 164. A special tool forum might be good or maybe just a sticky thread in the shop tool forum. I think this would not only would be neat but could help other people identify tools they might have and others can use it as a reference to make some for themselves.

Andrew your right special tool collecting can become as addicting as the cars themselves.

·
Registered
3,361 Posts
Might be easier to break the tools up by type ays mention (suspension, engine, etc.) and have separate threads for each. I've got a ton of Alfa tools as well. I think it would be great to also have folks post copies of the tools they've made, I've done a number of those as well.

I like the idea of having a separate forum for the tools.

Kevin

·
Premium Member
21,714 Posts
The mods feel that Shop Talk is the right forum, which explicitly mentions that it covers tools. Breaking forums up into sub-forums is not something we particularly want to do, it takes up a lot more "real estate," folks can't find things as easily, don't know where to look, etc.

I'm inclined to move this thread to the Shop Talk forum unless you all think otherwise. We can discuss further and one of us mods can pass along to the mods to discuss, if you want.

Andrew

·
Premium Member
71 Berlina 74 GTV 17 Giulia Q4
6,471 Posts
If anyone has the tool for measuring the pinion face to axle center I (and probably many others) would like to see it!

·
Premium Member
4,548 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I don't have them but here is what they look like.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,548 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I do have the one for alfetta's. It probably also works for the v6 transaxles as well.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,548 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I do have these 2 reference stands. The black one says 1600 spider 70 on one side of the bar and on the other side it says 71.5 spider 2000. These to don't show up in my catalog so they were probably made later which would mean they supersede the one my book shows. If anyone has a latter catalog please let me know. silver one is number C.6.0193 and the black one is C.6.0200. I also have the black one in silver.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,548 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
That is a cool tool. Is there any paper work on explaining how to put a reference mark for a particular cam or engine?
Came across this in an old service bulletin book. If someone has Tool Bulletin 127/1 I'd like to see it.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 22 Posts