Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just purchased an 87 Veloce in great cosmitic condition. Been sitting. How do I drain the tank and where does the fuel line from the tank enter the engine, as I would like to purge that too. Thats just a start to all the fluids I have to replace. Thanks for your help. Ralph

·
Administrator
17,701 Posts
When I resurrected the '84 Spider we bought (essentially the same as your '87) I drained the tank by siphoning out as much of the old fuel as possible. I used a length of plastic tubing with a metal fitting attached to one end to weigh it down. IIRC I did this by removing the gauge sender/pump outlet fitting on the top of the tank.

Then I removed the tank to flush & clean it out and treat the inside & paint the outside. I used a kit I bought from POR 15.

There are two fuel lines - a supply line and a return line. I replaced the rubber hoses and blew the metal lines out with compressed air.

I cleaned the fuel pumps (there are two - one in-tank pusher pump and the main pump under the car) with carb cleaner and replaced the fuel filter (also under the car near the main pump). Note - do not run the pumps with out fuel (the in tank pump especially) they must have fuel inside for cooling/lubrication.

I also removed the fuel injectors and sent them to Cruzin Performance for cleaning.

·
Administrator
17,701 Posts
The fuel rail is on the intake plenum - right side of the engine. There is a supply line on one end and a return line on the other. The rubber hoses are about 18" long and run down along the firewall on the right side. Near the intersection of the firewall and the floors they attach to rubber covered metal lines that run along the underside of the car. The rubber covering may make it look like they are hoses all the way but (if they haven't been messed with by a PO) there should be steel lines along the underside. Check those for rust.

BTW, the short hoses between the fuel rail and the injectors is a somewhat unique size. I couldn't find them in the local auto supply stores. Get the right size if you are replacing those - and you probably should, especially is you remove the injectors for cleaning. (I bought a few feet of fuel hose from IAP)

Attachments

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the pics. Great help. How do I clean the unjectors once I have them out? I'm a little confused about using a welder. What am I melting? Thanks Ralph

·
1966-2013
13,741 Posts
You don't clean the injectors. You send them off or take them to a shop that specializes in the process. (don't get sucked into getting a 'rebuilt' set either. They don't exist and about the only thing actually replaceable on them is some washer or o-ring stuff but definitely not anything internal)

Use the soldering iron to cut the rubber hose that ties the injector to the fuel rail. Or, more specifically, use it to cut the hose off the barb ends of the rail and injectors. ('cause you for sure ain't gonna pull them off)

·
Administrator
17,701 Posts
How do I clean the unjectors once I have them out?
The underlined words in my post above are actually links - click on them to go elsewheres on the internet for more info.

And check out the link in my signature for a whole page about the L-jet system used in our Spiders.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Are you sure you need to clean the injectors? Personally I would syphon the gas out of the tank, replace the fuel pump and lines if they are in poor shape, add new gas with some additive such a seafoam and try to fire her up. If the car doesn't run or runs rough then start finding the problem. Removing the injectors simply because you want to may cause a problem that you do not currently have.

·
Administrator
17,701 Posts
A car that has sat unused for 18 months - if not a planned hibernation - is quite likely to have clogged injectors. The "start it up and try it" is not a bad idea. But, if the injectors DO need to be cleaned then that'll delay being able to enjoy the car (while you send the injectors out for cleaning).

Cruzin Performance tests them out first. If they are perfect they can stop there and ship them back to you. You'll then only pay for shipping & testing and not the full charge for cleaning.

·
Registered
122 Posts
But, if the injectors DO need to be cleaned then that'll delay being able to enjoy the car (while you send the injectors out for cleaning).

Absolutely. only do if needed but if needed do it right by sending to someone who has the tools to clean them properly. When i bought my 86 it hadn't been started for 2+ years. i thought i would have to do injectors but i'll be dog gone if the darn little car didn't start right up and purr like an italian kitten! best of lock with the car. they are great fun even if they can be frustrating sometimes!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Incredible! I drained the tank, Changed the fuel filter, unhooked the fuel lines and drained them. Changed oil and anti freeze. Put 93 octane gas and seafoam cleaner. Re-torqued the head bolts. Guess what? Purring like a kitten. Smoked for about 30 seconds and than ran smooth. Oil pressure is high and temp is holding at 170. Took it for a ride and runs great. A little grinding in second gear. A/C compressor is seized, but who cares with a drop top. Everyone, thanks for your help. Ralph

·
Administrator
17,701 Posts
Good news! Glad to hear of your success.

BTW, your Spider doesn't need 93 octane fuel. It is designed for 'regular'. I use 87 octane with no probems. More octane doesn't give you any benefit unless the engine is designed for it. It just makes your wallet lighter.

·
Registered
7,538 Posts
do you have any pictures of the car you can post?

·
Administrator
17,701 Posts
Digital photos? Size them to about 400X600. (If they are too big the BB's software rejects them.)

If they are on your computer then click 'post reply' and scroll down to 'manage attachments'. Browse to the photos and select them then click 'upload'. I think you still need to put some words into the text box so say something there then click 'submit reply.

If the photos are on the web (a photo hosting site or your home page) you can right click the image and click 'properties' then copy the URL of the photo. Then come back to this thread, click 'post reply' and choose 'insert image (a little icon above the text box that looks like a tiny mountain scene) and paste the URL of the image into the pop-up box and OK that then click 'submit reply'.

If they are regular photos you have to mail them to me with a ten dollar bill (for each photo) and I'll take it from there...

·
Premium Member
891 Posts
Great looking ride. Love the color combo. I refurbished a 77 that was dormant for 2 decades in the same color combo, but my seats are black. The Bosch fuel system seems to be more forgiving of a hiberation, and to be honest, 18 months is not all that long. I would have guessed that the car would have rumbled to life with little effort.... And if it were me, and the gas smelled ok, I would have tried it as it was. To say out loud what others may be thinking: You are an Alfa Romeo rebel. :0 Enjoy your car.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks...The gas smelled like walking thru a junk yard, or riding past the refineries in Newark NJ. . Is the trunk rack OEM or just an add on? I'm going to strap on a case of Chianti.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts