Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Alfa romero giulia 1600Ti with pic

Hello everyone: Found this jewel 1966 giulia ti 1600 need some info from you alfa folks. What is a reasonable price for this car needs work tires interior minor engine repairs no rust all original. I'm very interested. Could be a driver with little effort........

Here are the latest pics one last walk around before I bring it home. Very impressed with how straight the body is. The under carriage thankfully had a lot of spray protectent sprayed a one time or another which helped keep most of the rust out. odometer stats 35899 original miles owner says that is accurate.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,892 Posts
Looks like a very good start to make a great car !
Whatever the starting price, you will have lots of $$ into it when you are finished.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
asking price

Owner is firm @ 2000$ Mind you this is a dry climate car. Do believe that it spent most of it's life in Arizona and california.

·
Registered
6,892 Posts
I would go for that price.....
Mechanically all there ?
Trim all there ?

·
Registered
6,892 Posts
Looks like you just found your Giulia !!

·
Registered
505 Posts
You can't find them better than this.
All complete! Go for it realy. It's an early one so no chrome.
Only SS steal bumpers, trim and grille.
Take it.

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
If it's really "no rust" it's a steal. But if you need to spend $4000 for an engine overhaul, $5000 for paint and upholstery, and another $5000 for various mechanical work by professional shops, think twice. You'd be better off shopping for a good one @ $18,000.

It's a deal if you have the ability, space, time and inclination to do much of the work yourself, otherwise it's not.

·
Registered
4,236 Posts
Start with a thorough estimation of all the probable restoration costs: engine rebuild, new interior, suspension, brakes, sundry parts. Once you have a reasonable ideas of how much you'll need to spend (always add a bit more, say 20%), add that to the purchase price of the car. If you can do most of the work yourself, you might make out OK with this car---IF---you enjoy doing a multi-year restoration.

Yves, is right: there are plenty of excellent Supers and TI's out there for $18-25k You're probably better off buying one of those.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
well mechanically I'm not worried I'm an ASE certified mechanic I think i'll be able to perform most anything mechanical that the car may require. Cosmetically I think a little buff job will do the trick. Interior Is the only area I think money will be spent. I'm really not sure If I should keep it or try to flip it the more I look at the car the more It grows on me. Thanks for all the post and information..

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well if I had the money to just go buy one trust me I would What i'd like to do is get the car mechanically strong and maybe sell to someone interested in a good project.....

·
Registered
4,236 Posts
. I'm really not sure If I should keep it or try to flip it the more I look at the car the more It grows on me. Thanks for all the post and information..
[/QUOTE]

You're preaching to the choir here, Jere. :)

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
Alfas of the Giulia family are simple and fun to work on. Upholstery is the least evil IMO.

Enjoy, and keep us posted.

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
Yves, is right: there are plenty of excellent Supers and TI's out there for $18-25k You're probably better off buying one of those.
I've been "shopping" for a nice Super for a while and I have yet to see "plenty of excellent Supers and TI's out there for $18-25k" (if we are talking about the USA market). A handful maybe but "plenty"... no way.

If Jere can complete this car "properly" for under $25K (challenging for sure) he'll get every penny back including the purchase price if he decides to sell.

My .02

·
Registered
4,236 Posts
I intentionally didn't make my estimate location specific. A few weeks ago Bruce/Alfanuts did a quick survey of the European web sites and counted at least 50 quite decent sounding TI's and Supers for sale. Most were in the 7-10k euro range. With more than 500,000 TI's and Supers made Bruce's count shouldn't be at all surprising. Alas, as you mention, very few of those cars came here.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Wow 25k what kind of resto are we talking here I was thinking more on the lines of a nice driver not a trailer queen. Dont get me wrong Show quality is nice but I want to be able to drive it as well..

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
Jim - Duly noted indeed :).

Jere - If you are not planning an "all out restoration" then you probably won't see a return on your investment (let alone break even). A good "driver restoration" could easily cost $15K still leaving much to be desired. And if that's ok with you it's ok with me.

Like Yvesmontreal said... "if you need to spend $4000 for an engine overhaul, $5000 for paint and upholstery, and another $5000 for various mechanical work by professional shops, think twice. You'd be better off shopping for a good one @ $18,000."

I think it's great that you want to "just drive it"! Maybe that is possible with this one but we'd have to know way more details to make a proper assessment.

·
Registered
6,892 Posts
Jere, fear not !!
As you are already schooled in mechanics, your cost to get this running should be low.
Parts are plentiful and not expensive.
Then you have a runner to enjoy or flip.
Cosmetics are more expensive, but you can leave them for the next owner and you will make money from your investment.
If she is straight and the paint buffs up nice, $6-7,000 is not out of the question.

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
Jere - I missed the post where you mentioned that you are a ASE certified mechanic. You're up $10K right there ;)! Go for it!

1 - 20 of 33 Posts