Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1181 - 1200 of 1206 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,243 Posts
The way I'm considering the new Giulia is that they would not use the diminutive "Giulietta" on the initial models.

But, as with the original Giulietta, an outstanding team has designed a new car.

It is very appealing and with a proper front suspension it will likely force BMW to quit the McPherson struts.

My DD is an 08 BMW 535 xi Touring Wagon with the Dinan Stage 2, with 415 torque.

Very nice car. The new Giulia looks even better.

Be interesting to see some specs--like weight.

·
Registered
3,807 Posts
Cupholders on Giulietta I'm renting in Italy this week are way too small for a big gulp. Wonder if they will fix that on the Giulia.
That's probably because in Italy they drink coffee in smaller cups than you do. Personally I couldn't care less about cup holders. When they first started putting them in cars years ago, our motoring journalists became obsessed with them and would almost write off a car that didn't have them. I figure you should have your coffee before you leave for work in the morning. We might take bottles of water on long trips but never cups. I worry that it will spill or leak.

·
Registered
3,807 Posts
Just like the GM L61 block with Alfas own twin phaser head, bottom end and controls built in Holden's spare factory capacity becoming "a bloody Holden engine". What do they have to do? Grow their own aluminium in their back yard?
I shouldn't be so scathing about the GM derived V6 I suppose, but it is such a shame they dropped the sublime Busso. I love the 159 and the Brera, but here in Australia you couldn't buy a Brera with the 2.4 JTDM - only the 2.2 and V6. A Brera with a Busso would have been a wonderful thing but it was not to be sadly. I had the use of a Brera Spider with the V6 AWD for four days when they came out and found the engine uninspiring, but that's just my opinion.

·
Registered
4,871 Posts
...(I) found the engine uninspiring, but that's just my opinion.
Maybe so, I never got to drive a Brera, but that body, oh my! I'd buy one without an engine and park it in my yard. (and anyone who knows me also knows... that's true! (isn't it, Jim?))

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Maybe so, I never got to drive a Brera, but that body, oh my! I'd buy one without an engine and park it in my yard. (and anyone who knows me also knows... that's true! (isn't it, Jim?))
You know, as much as the Brera looks good in pictures, for me the 159 is a better design. Same front end and dash of course, but a better balanced shape overall. The Brera sits too high and the rear end is way too short compared with the front.

·
Certified Oldschooler
7,010 Posts
I agree Aggie. The back of the Brera just doesn't do it for me any more than the similar but square blob of the SZ. But the 159 wagen is a really nice profile. Not so impressed with the sedan 159 rear. Alfa just doesn't seem to do booty well. This new Giulia looks like something nice though. Attaboy for Alfa and Marchione. Waiting . . . .

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
I'll reserve judgement until I see where the window switches are located.
On the door, just like the 159, 156, etc. before it (the world didn't end with the 75/Milano). Plenty of interior pics around the net now.

Weight is guesstimated at 1500kg based on power to weight comments by Wester. He's also quoted (in topgear) as saying under 1400kg for the basic models when they arrive (wings/doors in Al for all models). I guess that's why this is a QV and not a GTA.

I'm hoping for no cup holders too.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Just before this announcement I was headed to check out a 4C at the local dealer in boise, idaho. Ended up not making it but boy did this news make my day!
I am sure several models will come if this one does well a diesel may be doubtful as they don't do well in the usa but their is a market for them I just think the germans might have it locked up

·
Registered
803 Posts
Don't think so. The money is going to help pay for the development of the current Alfa models 2015-2017 already underway. They'll need an all-cash deal in order for it to actually have any benefit for FCA.

·
Premium Member
1,167 Posts
Don't think so. The money is going to help pay for the development of the current Alfa models 2015-2017 already underway. They'll need an all-cash deal in order for it to actually have any benefit for FCA.
In addition to the Giulia are there any other Alfa models currently under development?

·
Registered
803 Posts
There are 2 camps of Alfa followers:

1. Those who believe the company when it says that Alfa will have 8 models (including an SUV) before 2018 as has been reported by many industry sources
2. Those who believe Alfa is Marchionne's Potemkin auto-village where everything is mostly still on the drawing board.

Even if we had some high-placed insiders on the Alfa BB they probably wouldn't be at liberty to say, and maybe even wouldn't know what the truth is.

As a FCA shareholder waiting for Sergio to send me my distribution of Ferrari stock, I only know that FCA is highly leveraged. My analysis is that cash, and only cash will fund Alfa's future.

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
I shouldn't be so scathing about the GM derived V6 I suppose, but it is such a shame they dropped the sublime Busso. I love the 159 and the Brera, but here in Australia you couldn't buy a Brera with the 2.4 JTDM - only the 2.2 and V6. A Brera with a Busso would have been a wonderful thing but it was not to be sadly. I had the use of a Brera Spider with the V6 AWD for four days when they came out and found the engine uninspiring, but that's just my opinion.
Interesting. I had my first drive in a mates V6 Spider(159) last week. I was really impressed, the noise was quite intoxicating and it revved it's nuts off brilliantly. The handling was really very composed and flat too around Brisbanes inner hilly windy streets.

I have to say I was really quite surprised given all the negativity I've read on the web...... I'd have one (will have one)... In blue please.

The Busso sounds great (obviously) but I don't think the GM/Alfa version is too far off it for noise and acceleration. It's definitely got better tech in it (chains not belts) and would probably scream too if decatted with a great exhaust. I wonder if any of the GM go fast bits bolt on (super chargers?)

It is a pity the 2.4JTD was available in the Brera or Spider here, magnificent torque monsters!!

·
Registered
3,807 Posts
It is a pity the 2.4JTD was available in the Brera or Spider here, magnificent torque monsters!!
I agree. I assume you meant "was not available". The 2.4 in our 159 is wonderful. From what I can gather, the manual gearboxes in the 159 family seem to be what gives people the impression that the cars are heavy, because the gearing is tall. Our car has the 6 speed auto and doesn't feel at all heavy. I still think the Busso is the better V6 engine. I spent four days with one of the V6 Spiders and the engine didn't excite me like my 3.2 Busso does every time I turn the key, let alone drive it.

·
Premium Member
1,167 Posts
Food for thought

Interesting Article in the Detroit Free Press (2/21/2016) on possible merger partners for FCA.

Marchionne reshapes Fiat Chrysler for merger or sale

Excerpt:

No company has publicly expressed interest in FCA, but potential buyers or partners include:

PSA Peugeot Citroen: FCA’s parts fit beautifully with France’s largest and Europe’s second largest automaker. PSA has no presence in North America. It builds competitive cars, but no full-size pickups, no rugged and upscale SUVs like Jeeps. It lacks global luxury brands like Alfa Romeo and Maserati. Drawbacks: Overlap with the Fiat brand in Europe and South America. PSA management is still getting their own house in order.

Hyundai-Kia: The Korean giant has heaps of money and boundless self-confidence. Hyundai also needs more assembly capacity worldwide. Drawbacks: Already has dealer networks in the U.S., Canada and Europe. Hyundai has no history of acquiring or merging with other companies. Management would be a challenge.

Honda: Honda builds great cars, but no large pickups, off-roading SUVs or rear-wheel-drive sport sedans. It has high quality and fuel economy, two of FCA’s weaknesses. Drawbacks: Risk-averse management. No history of acquisition or merger. Major overlap in the U.S.

Mahindra: The Indian conglomerate wants to be a global automaker. Fellow Indian company Tata has been a terrific steward of the Jaguar and Land Rover brands. Drawbacks: Mahindra has shown no ability to build cars and trucks that meet Western expectations for quality, technology and luxury. It’s a wild card.

Mazda: Mazda builds fine small and midsize cars, FCA’s weaknesses. Drawbacks: No history of acquisition or merger. The combined Mazda-Fiat-Chrysler would still be a relatively small player with limited resources. Overlapping dealerships in North America.

Any number of Chinese companies: Geely Automotive’s ownership of Volvo shows working with a Chinese partner can be a recipe for growth and success. Drawbacks: The potential bidders are complete unknowns. Would an owner nourish FCA or raid the company’s assets and move production to China?

Volkswagen or Renault Nissan: Longshots, but not out of the question. Both giants have apparently limitless managerial ego and a shark-like need to keep moving and growing. Both would love Ram and Jeep. VW publicly coveted Alfa Romeo in the past. Drawbacks: VW is reeling from the repercussions of cheating on emissions tests, and probably will be for years. Renault-Nissan already has a huge sales and manufacturing footprint in the U.S.

1181 - 1200 of 1206 Posts