Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,510 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
SOLD

I'm selling a very old Alfa valve shim box. Its probably around 40 to 50 years old. This is the shim box the dealers would have had when the giuliettas and giulia's were new. As you can see in the pictures it is a very unique item. Some of the numbers are worn off and some of the enamel has popped off the badge. The sizes went from 1500 to 2500 with 1500 starting on the bottom row. The holes are big enough to hold the 9.5mm and 10mm shims that the 2000/2600 engines used without the shims getting stuck in the holes. The pin that holds the lid shut is also the magnet to get the shims out. When I got it the hinge had broken away from the body and the magnet was missing. See the picture showing the small amount of plastic missing in one of the holes. I reattached the lid by drilling new holes and tapping the plastic for machine screws. I also made a new pin/magnet identical to an original one that I have. Overall its in pretty good shape for its age and for being used in a harsh environment for part of its life. The plastic is a hard plastic. I doubt it would survive a fall on to a concrete floor. Might be why there aren't many around.

I'm asking $275.00 plus shipping and insurance.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,510 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
more pictures

more pictures

Attachments

·
Premium Member
21,671 Posts
I've got one of these, just givin' you an "attaboy." This is one of the coolest things ever made, I say.
Andrew

·
Premium Member
4,510 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Thanks Andrew.

It was a little tricky to repair and drilling a hole in a stainless steel ball with out getting clamping marks on it was fun. The neat thing about this one is its a survivor. Not one that was never used.

·
Premium Member
4,510 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Richard Jemison
7,370 Posts
Shim box

I have one, No drilled ball/magnet but together. I have too many shims for such a box. Box with no shims. $150.00 shipped in USA. This one is black.

Attachments

1 - 7 of 7 Posts