Alfa Romeo Forums banner

181 - 200 of 200 Posts

·
Registered
334 Posts
Hello, I have also been dreaming of an electric powered 33 stradale replica. The gorgeous shape of the T33 is impossible to beat, but I have a number of tweaks I would like to make otherwise to suspension, aero, cargo capacity, and of course powertrain. Have you progressed in your work on the electric inspiration?

for what its worth... it is the most beautiful car ever made but it is tiny. I saw one at Monza a few/many years ago and was shocked at how very small it was. I am 6'2" and would never fit... like a Lotus Europa only pretty.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Mezzeta,

Fair point - I wish I could have the chance to see one of these up close in person for a true gauge of size. Luckily I am not a very big guy, only about 5'10", and would expect I could fit into even a small car. That being said, I have intentions of a full frame redesign into a tube-frame style chassis, rather than the traditional aluminum H-pillars, which would also afford me the opportunity to tweak some interior dimensions. I am working now on my PhD in Mechanical Engineering, and after designing the suspension system for my university's Formula SAE race car I am struck by the desire to take on a 10-15 year project of designing and building my own car. I've been keeping up with heavy maintenance on my mk1 Audi TT including a transmission swap among other things, and love the feeling of working on cars. I know that with a tremendous amount of work and some fantastic connections to other engineering designers, this may not be an impossible feat!

·
Registered
69 Posts
Here you go knock yourself out so to speak. I actually stumbled on the the beginnings of this in the 90s on a trip to the UK. Then in 2009 I visited a friend who I knew was working on the car.
The original concept was a composite tub by Darrian and Roush V8 with Quafe box the body and some of the parts are in the pictures. The body is the original prototype which was made from the original buck was first made in ally a mold taken from the ally version. Screens made in Sweden of al places Wheels made by IMAGE. then the project sold.

Attachments

·
Administrator
12,595 Posts
Jaredious,

Don't just copy the T33, but make your own car. Maybe be inspired by the T33 but surely more satisfying coming up with something unique and your own creation.
Pete

·
Push hard and live
9,658 Posts
I haven’t reviewed this whole thread, but are you aware Classic Alfa is offering a kit, including body and frame?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Jaredious,

Don't just copy the T33, but make your own car. Maybe be inspired by the T33 but surely more satisfying coming up with something unique and your own creation.
Pete
Pete,

Thanks for the encouragement! That has been my plan from the beginning more or less, but I am using the T33 as the primary source of inspiration for the project, working to stay true to most of the body contours while changing materials, dynamics, and performance specs to meet the modern technologies. At this moment there are many ideas, but few have been put to action yet. I am gathering and researching to determine all that I might need for my own build.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Here you go knock yourself out so to speak. I actually stumbled on the the beginnings of this in the 90s on a trip to the UK. Then in 2009 I visited a friend who I knew was working on the car.
The original concept was a composite tub by Darrian and Roush V8 with Quafe box the body and some of the parts are in the pictures. The body is the original prototype which was made from the original buck was first made in ally a mold taken from the ally version. Screens made in Sweden of al places Wheels made by IMAGE. then the project sold.
Au-yt

Wow this is fantastic! Thank you very much for sharing! Those resources will prove very helpful as I get myself organized and beginning on my design work.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Jaredious,

Pete
My thoughts exactly, close copy is one thing but tool room copy is another there are a fey around and the wheels dont look correct Alfa 33 Stradale Prototipo Body Set
This is a car done in Sweden(?) called a ROXGTv8

·
Registered
69 Posts
Fantastic and a Montreal engine great to see. 25 years ago I got offered a 2.5Ltr 33 engine from the Tasman series...$75,000. aud. and recently saw on in pieces, even the cam follower buckets were drilled full of holes.

·
Registered
3,943 Posts
I haven’t reviewed this whole thread, but are you aware Classic Alfa is offering a kit, including body and frame?
Don, I could not think of a better use of your spare Montreal engine! Not sure what kind of transmission you would need...seems most tempting though.

Mark

·
Administrator
12,595 Posts
Personally the T33/3 Daytona is better looking than the Stradale. That is what I would replicate

Pete

·
Registered
69 Posts
There are some fantastic race cars and cars of that era the ALFA 33 Stradale is my favorite, however other cars 206SP Dino, 906 Porsche, Alpine 220, ABARTH 1000/1300 and my favorite of those is the Lufthansa Coupe, Bizzarini P538, DeTomasso Valellunga and Ginetta G12 jewels of a time never to be repeated

·
Push hard and live
9,658 Posts
When I last spoke with CA about their kit, they told me that the current iteration of their frame could not accommodate a Monty engine. Too long. They were hoping to resolve the problem, but I got busy in other directions.

·
Registered
69 Posts
The Monty engine wont fit with the Spica pump as is, the trick is the bell housing has to be short and drive shafts need to have a few degrees forward angle.... dont ask
remember these cars are tiny.

·
Registered
288 Posts
There are some fantastic race cars and cars of that era the ALFA 33 Stradale is my favorite, however other cars 206SP Dino, 906 Porsche, Alpine 220, ABARTH 1000/1300 and my favorite of those is the Lufthansa Coupe, Bizzarini P538, DeTomasso Valellunga and Ginetta G12 jewels of a time never to be repeated
Why don't you use new design for your extremely valid project? This one is my body design, if you like it, just use it.

Attachments

·
Registered
69 Posts
I was thinking something along these lines, sketch originally done in 2004 on a scrap piece of paper..and a bit of touch up in MS paint, nothing as professional as yours
sketch MBT.jpg

·
Registered
25 Posts
I made some progress on my project based on CA kit
me too i try tio be closer than original
frame tube in aluminium 6061 and front 335 steel weld
hub from 105 serie etc....

181 - 200 of 200 Posts