Alfa Romeo Forums banner
81 - 100 of 124 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #81 ·
The sunny skies of California were not as nice to the Alfa as the rainy skies of Wisconsin.

At Laguna Seca:
  1. The Alfa qualified 8th of 13 in TCR class
  2. On lap 1, turn 1, it goes wide off track and drops to last in class
  3. By lap 9 the Alfa had clawed its way back to 8th
  4. Lap 27, after pitting during a full-course yellow the Alfa emerges last in class
  5. Lap 34, the Alfa pits unexpectedly and does not return
  6. DNFs the race completing about 1/2 race distance

·
Premium Member
1,362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #84 ·
From the KMW Motorsports Facebook page regarding the Laguna Seca race:

However, the two-hour race quickly went opposite to plan as the team experienced issues with the shift pump. After attempting to repair the car and gain crucial points, the failure became too significant to overcome in the moment and the car was forced to retire.

·
Premium Member
348 Posts
Interesting, thanks for sharing. At least we know the car is very competitive when it is running as it should.

·
Premium Member
1,362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #87 ·
The Alfa finishes 10th at VIR.

At the start of the race the car had an unidentified "loose connection to the steering wheel" which was costing it 10 seconds a lap.

This was fixed at the first pit stop. Afterwards, Tim Lewis Jr went like a bat out Hell, and even set the fastest lap for TCR, but it was too late.

The last race of the season is at Road Atlanta on Friday November 12.

·
Premium Member
348 Posts
Heck. Thanks for the report. Encouraging they set the fastest lap though. Not a good day for Alfa in Formula 1 either.

·
Registered
907 Posts
A little factory support would be nice, for both the new road cars and this lonely racing team. How about remanufacturing some parts for old cars 🙂

·
Registered
2,753 Posts
The Giulietta is really old, I really doubt the factory would support it. My guess is, other than the engine block, the car is probably mostly custom.

·
Premium Member
1,362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #91 ·
My guess is, other than the engine block, the car is probably mostly custom.
Attached are the specifications for building a TCR racecar so you can judge for yourself.

For example, engines are close to production engines:

Turbo charged mass production engines without modifications.
  • The make and type of the spark plugs are free.
  • It is allowed to change the injectors with OEM parts similar dimensions. (Certification)
  • The mass production high pressure fuel pump from the TCR certified engine cannot be modified. (Certification)
The electric loom and connection(s) may be modified to improve durability. (Certification)
  • Cylinder head gasket may be changed with another one with identical dimensions. (Certification)
  • Crankshaft bearings may be changed with another one with identical dimensions. (Certification)

Engine position: Production; The crankshaft’s axis within a cylinder with R=20mm

Attachments

·
Registered
2,753 Posts
Alfa is weird , their marque has always been made famous by saloon/sedan/touring car racing. After the Tipo 33 successes, their F1 cars were never that successful. To me racing Alfas have always been about the GTA,GTAm,GTV6,75,155,156. I’m not sure how much they can hope to gain in F1. It’s not even an Alfa, just a rebadged Sauber Ferrari. The should have fielded a few Giuliettas in the US.

Reactions: MALDI

·
Premium Member
348 Posts
I and I likely most racing fans agree with you, but I think their F1 sponsorship is more for general brand recognition - similar to why Aston Martin sponsors a team while using Mercedes engines.

·
Premium Member
1,362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #97 ·
Hey Mike, I just read your interview with Louis Milone in the Novermber issue of the Alfa Owner. Good stuff. It was nice to share the team's joy at winning at Road America, if only vicariously.

·
Premium Member
388 Posts
Thanks, my friend.

Louis has arranged a credential for me at Petit Le Mans, so I'll be with them for practice, qualifying, and the race. I hope I get to do a really great report on the race.

I'll also be doing interviews with Louis, the drivers, and whoever else Louis thinks for a story later about the team.

Reactions: shakingthrough

·
Premium Member
388 Posts
And the team was very happy with that 8th on the grid. Roy Block really found pace during qualifying. His job tomorrow will be to keep the Alfa in contention until Tim Lewis, Jr. takes over, then the fun begins.

Reactions: shakingthrough
81 - 100 of 124 Posts