Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi all, good day
i am new to AlfaBB but i still wanted to share my recent quest for "my" Alfa Romeo... through most of my time in Europe i have been a devoted Alfista (Giulietta, 75, 164, SZ).
just before i migrated from Switzerland to the US in the late 90's, i bought a SZ which i then had to sell as i could not maintain it from a far. in recent weeks, i have managed to locate "my" SZ - but the quest for introducing, testing, emmissions, conversions etc in the US is impossible to complete. all i could do is import it and get a "Show Room Title" for it....
i understand that there are 2 or 3 SZ in the US and maybe any of the member of this group know where they are? maybe just looking at it will convince me that owning it again will be enough.... thank you! - Auguri a tutti gli Alfisti che curano e mantengono queste opere d'arte..!!

·
Registered
805 Posts

·
Registered
4,631 Posts
There are more than 2 or 3 in the U.S. Most of the owners stay to themselves and are contacted by those that know they have them for conventions or concours; not all but most, simply because they don't want to be bothered by lookie-loos and tire-kickers, when they are not interested in selling their car.

I agree the import restrictions are very severe, expensive, and time-consuming to bring a car in from overseas. Some areas are easier to import into than others, but you are fighting both the Federal requirements and State requirements. State requirements are of less concern because of the age of the vehicle, except in states that mandate annual inspections.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
hi Cheryl
one of these days i will own a "il mostro" again...! it is a long, windy and uphill quest, but i will get there eventually.

i sympathize with the SZ owners. even when i was driving it in Switzerland i would only park in places that offered protection from the elements, and definitely from people...

er.. what is PATSYF?

·
Registered
3,862 Posts
hi all, good day
i am new to AlfaBB but i still wanted to share my recent quest for "my" Alfa Romeo... through most of my time in Europe i have been a devoted Alfista (Giulietta, 75, 164, SZ).
just before i migrated from Switzerland to the US in the late 90's, i bought a SZ which i then had to sell as i could not maintain it from a far. in recent weeks, i have managed to locate "my" SZ - but the quest for introducing, testing, emmissions, conversions etc in the US is impossible to complete. all i could do is import it and get a "Show Room Title" for it....
i understand that there are 2 or 3 SZ in the US and maybe any of the member of this group know where they are? maybe just looking at it will convince me that owning it again will be enough.... thank you! - Auguri a tutti gli Alfisti che curano e mantengono queste opere d'arte..!!
Hi, I think you are talking about the late V-6 1980's early 1990's SZ also known as ES-30. Shown here

Alfa Romeo SZ - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Not the 1960s 4 cylinder version. shown here

Alfa Romeo Giulietta SZ - Supercars.net

If Correct then there may not be many ES-30 in the USA as you say.

I think they can easily be imported into Canada.

FWIW

Ken

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
hi Ken
that is absolutely correct - i am after "il mostro" ES30, built from 1989 to 1991/92. i have also thought about the Canada option, but no luck there either....

ciao!
Eugenio

·
Registered
3,922 Posts
In 4 years from now you can easily import an 89...anything over 25 years old is easy....I know...it's a long wait!:eek:

·
Registered
2,578 Posts
hi Ken
that is absolutely correct - i am after "il mostro" ES30, built from 1989 to 1991/92. i have also thought about the Canada option, but no luck there either....

ciao!
Eugenio
There is an SZ in St. Catharines Ontario. Phil is on the BB from time to time.

·
Registered
4,631 Posts
hi Cheryl
one of these days i will own a "il mostro" again...! it is a long, windy and uphill quest, but i will get there eventually.

i sympathize with the SZ owners. even when i was driving it in Switzerland i would only park in places that offered protection from the elements, and definitely from people...

er.. what is PATSYF?
This has been asked on several other threads...and I've been told that men don't think, recognize, or pronounce letters the same as women: Pat's Wife.

Hi, I think you are talking about the late V-6 1980's early 1990's SZ also known as ES-30. Shown here

Alfa Romeo SZ - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Not the 1960s 4 cylinder version. shown here

Alfa Romeo Giulietta SZ - Supercars.net

If Correct then there may not be many ES-30 in the USA as you say.

I think they can easily be imported into Canada.

FWIW

Ken
Thanks, Ken for the clarification. My post was very definitely in response to the older Giulietta SZ, they're the only one I really think of when SZ is mentioned. My apologies for getting the thread off-track.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts