Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
Igbalfa,

I'm fitting a new exhaust to my S3 (88) this weekend. It will include the "Stinger" from Centerline that Paradiso mentioned. I have been in need of a new exhaust for a while (sounds like a kazzoo sometimes) and after much research here on the BB I decided what path I was going to take. I will be fitting a header as well along with new cat, center muffler and the Stinger. Decided on a header as the S3 has the most restrictive manifold, if you like I will attempt to record the sound of the finished product and post here.

Guy

·
1966-2013
13,741 Posts
Just tried to upload a sound file but forum will not accept wav, mp3, or zip as an attachment.

It was mine idling with header, empty catylitic converter can, (for visual inspection purposes don'tcha know), stock center muffler and stinger tail from behind and in the drivers seat.

Sorry :shrug:

Murray/msiert has a vid with sound here at the tail end of the black spider project thread if you want to hear what he's got going on.

Edited to add link.

·
Registered
3,927 Posts
I'm running with a 2.5" exhaust system with a merge collector and a flow through middle muffler so it's a little louder then a stock system with a stinger but it sounds like a squadron of P-38's when your going through a tunnel. :D

Attachments

·
1966-2013
13,741 Posts
Addendum:

Murray, pop that airbox off yours for an evening when it's cool and ambient air temperature won't be so much of factor, then listen to the real noise you're smothering out.

You'll get that 'Weber sound' that some folks seem to clamor for, (I find it sexy myself), but with the precision of EFI.

·
Registered
3,927 Posts
Hey Darren,

Ya I noticed that too, I was driving down town tonight and the sound was bouncing off the tall buildings something fierce. :)

I saw a hoop up rice burner with all the neon lights under the car and a big fart pipe on the way home. I passed along the side of him crusing at 4,000 rpm (sounded so sweet bouching off those buildings) and then backed off to let him catch up if he wanted too but he made no effort :D:D

I'll try the no airbox sometime.

·
1966-2013
13,741 Posts
I'll try the no airbox sometime.
Don't be surprised when it makes a really loud blatting noise when you get on it. (as loud or louder than the exhaust it seems at times)

Definitely not the old Q-jet on a cop car noise to be sure.

For novelty, you can open the hood and have someone who's not heard it before stand over there then slowly bring up the revs a little, then rap it and watch them jump out of their shoes :)

·
Premium Member
2,811 Posts
I read where the Swiss just opened the world's longest tunnel......

1 - 13 of 13 Posts