Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
561 Posts
As far as i can tell all canadian alfas were shipped to and distributed from rexdale,similar to u.s cars being shipped to newark n.j or long beach california and distributed from there to the dealers.I will speculate that if an american alfa dealer had a need for a 69 gtv,even if that series was produced in 1970 they would access the distribution network and get the customer the car they wanted and thru creative tecniques the customer would get a brand new 70 model registered as a 69 even though there is no difference between them other than the date of production.Would be nice to have some factual info from someone who was involved in the north american distribution and sales back in the day.

·
Registered
561 Posts
I dont know when alfa officially started importing to canada,can someone confirm this for me.But i do know that by 69 we were getting 105.44 euro spec gtvs,which makes the import of your 69 u.s spec 105.51 an interesting anomaly,was it destined for the u,s and got loaded on the wrong shipment or more likely its 70 production date made it ineligible for direct import to the u.s and it was brought in the back door so to speak.Generally canadian alfas were carbed euro models until the 2 litre gtv,which seems to be identical to u.s spec.I am going to reference joe bensons alfa buyers guide in which he states in one small paragraph"at the time an automotive trade pact with canada provided a loophole that allowed legal importation of weber carbed 1750s.A good number entered the u.s in this manner,and can often be found titled for the missing years of 68-70".I dont know if this is factual or not but there was certainly some importation of cars from canada to the states thru legal ,or dubious flim flamery i dont know.Anyone who can add to this discussion please jump in.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.