Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Alfa Rexdale info

My first post here.
John;
Nero and Ken have got it right. I was a car crazy teen at the time,(my mechanic father helped me buy a '71 GTV1750 from Lenny's Garage in '75 for $1500.)
Rexdale is an area in Toronto where the distributorship had a warehouse...long gone and I don't know of anyone having records. Lenny,who always had fabulous Lambos and Ferraris in his St. Clair location, may have known significant details, but alas, Lenny passed away several years ago. There is no point in asking around in the local Rexdale used dealers; very few have any older sports cars of interest.
I do recall buying many parts for my GTV at Esposito Motors, an Alfa Dealer in Weston, also in Toronto/Etobicoke, but long since gone. I can vividly recall seeing a slightly used ochre '69 Junior in the showroom - but $3500 was way too much!!! (Yup, and $600 was way too much for that used Daytona Chronograph...besides way too thick on the wrist... go for the thinner quartz! - argh...) Who could know back then.
Is Mr. Esposito still around?

BTW were 1970 Alfas imported at all to N America - I was told they were not. My scouring of the Toronto Star Classified rarely showed ANY '70 Alfas!

After the Rexdale location closed, I sourced some parts at a warehouse in Toronto on Wyngold AVe - lots of OEM rear quarter body panels for roundtails, grill parts etc. and on the floor behind the parts counter, i was shown an oldie. In hushed tones, I believe I was told it was, "a 2800 (C as I recall) - a rare car..."

Sold my GTV due to a rusting bulkhead in an otherwise pristine engine bay - seems my car was missing its front windshield rubber gasket. Was this a common malady among '71 coupes??
I currently own a Burgundy '89 Veloce - a nicely unmolested, original and correct car in a poopy colour - has anyone seen another '70s or 80's Alfa in Burgundy??? The car originally was ordered by Al Paladini (Leasing) - perhaps a special request???

At any rate John - the search will have to go somewhere other than Rexdale - good luck.

Joe

·
Registered
14 Posts
Alfa Rexdale info

My first post here.
John;
Nero and Ken have got it right. I was a car crazy teen at the time,(my mechanic father helped me buy a '71 GTV1750 from Lenny's Garage in '75 for $1500.)
Rexdale is an area in Toronto where the distributorship had a warehouse...long gone and I don't know of anyone having records. Lenny Rabito, who always had fabulous Lambos and Ferraris in his St. Clair location, may have known significant details, but alas, Lenny passed away 1 or 2 years ago. There is no point in asking around in the local Rexdale used dealers; very few have any older sports cars of interest.
I do recall buying many parts for my GTV at Esposito Motors, an Alfa Dealer in Weston, also in Toronto/Etobicoke, but long since gone. I can vividly recall seeing a slightly used ochre '69 Junior in the showroom - but $3500 was way too much!!! (Yup, and $600 was way too much for that used Daytona Chronograph...Fiance:besides way too thick on the wrist... go for the thinner quartz! - argh...) Who could know back then.
Is Mr. Esposito still around?

BTW were 1970 Alfas imported at all to N America?? - I was told they were not. My scouring of the Toronto Star Classified rarely showed ANY '70 Alfas!-always a jump from '69 to '71s.

After the Rexdale location closed, I sourced some parts at a warehouse in Toronto on Wyngold AVe - lots of OEM rear quarter body panels for roundtails, grill parts etc. and on the floor behind the parts counter, i was shown an oldie. In hushed tones, I believe I was told it was, "a 2800 (C as I recall) - a rare car..." I recall it looked kinda tatty, and pretty big for an Alfa...

Sold my GTV due to a rusting bulkhead in an otherwise pristine engine bay - seems my car was missing its front windshield rubber gasket. Was this a common malady among '71 coupes??
I currently own a Burgundy '89 Veloce - a nicely unmolested, original and correct car in a poopy colour - has anyone seen another '70s or 80's Alfa in Burgundy??? The car originally was ordered by Al Paladini (Leasing) - perhaps a special request???

At any rate John - the search will have to go somewhere other than Rexdale - good luck.

Joe

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.