Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5,799 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sometimes we forget the basics. I am attaching the stated Club Purpose as stated in the very first paragraph of the AROC By-Laws:

The purposes of this Club are to foster, encourage, and promote among owners and followers of Alfa Romeo automobiles, knowledge of the history and tradition of the marque; to make available and to disseminate technical information useful in promoting knowledge and understanding for the efficient and safe operation of Alfa Romeo automobiles; to organize social, educational and amateur sporting events; and to teach, promote and encourage safe and skillful driving in both competition events and upon the public highways.

I LIKE that!

·
Registered
6,087 Posts
It's also very satisfying to know first hand that this is what the AROC actually does. There are so many people that I have met over the years that have given so much for the benefit of all of us. They are a great example to follow.

Best regards,

·
Registered
5,799 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi all,

Just thought I would resurrect this thread. Hopefully, AROC members worldwide can use this thread to share usefull and constructive ideas to help AROC improve and progress to better serve the membership. My vision is that this thread be used to discuss "CURRENT" issues, and that issues which occurred in the past be avoided because nobody can change the past.

The Alfa Romeo Owners' Club is world-wide. There are unaffiliated national organizations in the USA, UK, Canada, The Netherlands and many other countries. Additionally, there are several other Alfa Romeo clubs which are not called AROC (In the USA, the Alfa Romeo Association or ARA is an example). I do not wish to limit this thread to AROC USA members only, but please identify which club you are referring to when posting.

I ask that all participants use tact and remain polite so that the thread does not deteriorate into a bickering or soapbox type of thread. This does not mean that negative comments should not be submitted. But rather, if you wish to come forward with a problem, please submit it as an issue which you would like to see improved. Obviously, criticism supported with a specific example and a suggested resolution is preferred.

Above all, please remember that AROC is YOUR club (if you aren't a member, please consider becoming one soon). It is run by volunteers like yourselves, who share a passion for all things Alfa Romeo. These volunteers at both the local and national levels are only human and are not working full-time with AROC. They come from all walks of life and may be very young or not-so-young, well-off or barely making ends meet, formally educated or not, technical or artistic, from any race, creed, gender or nationality...not only that, but some have strong Alfa preferences, whether those be for pre-war, Giulietta, 105/115 series, sedans, race-cars, transaxled cars, etc. and their interests may be racing, concours, daily use, autocross, or collecting, etc. So, please keep that in mind when posting.

If there is any question of what any Alfa club is all about, please read the first post in this thread. It is the "mission statement" for AROC USA and is the very first paragraph in the AROC USA By-Laws. I believe it is MOST appropriate and very well-written.

·
Premium Member
3,568 Posts
Hi Alex,

An excellent original post and timely resurrection. I hope everyone will follow your request and keep ideas, suggestions and constructive criticism related to the current time frame. Hopefully, responses will be related to all varieties of Alfa Romeo Owners Clubs, with personal agenda discussions please left to other threads.

Hi all,

Just thought I would resurrect this thread. Hopefully, AROC members worldwide can use this thread to share usefull and constructive ideas to help AROC improve and progress to better serve the membership. My vision is that this thread be used to discuss "CURRENT" issues, and that issues which occurred in the past be avoided because nobody can change the past.

The Alfa Romeo Owners' Club is world-wide. There are unaffiliated national organizations in the USA, UK, Canada, The Netherlands and many other countries. Additionally, there are several other Alfa Romeo clubs which are not called AROC (In the USA, the Alfa Romeo Association or ARA is an example). I do not wish to limit this thread to AROC USA members only, but please identify which club you are referring to when posting.

I ask that all participants use tact and remain polite so that the thread does not deteriorate into a bickering or soapbox type of thread. This does not mean that negative comments should not be submitted. But rather, if you wish to come forward with a problem, please submit it as an issue which you would like to see improved. Obviously, criticism supported with a specific example and a suggested resolution is preferred.

Above all, please remember that AROC is YOUR club (if you aren't a member, please consider becoming one soon). It is run by volunteers like yourselves, who share a passion for all things Alfa Romeo. These volunteers at both the local and national levels are only human and are not working full-time with AROC. They come from all walks of life and may be very young or not-so-young, well-off or barely making ends meet, formally educated or not, technical or artistic, from any race, creed, gender or nationality...not only that, but some have strong Alfa preferences, whether those be for pre-war, Giulietta, 105/115 series, sedans, race-cars, transaxled cars, etc. and their interests may be racing, concours, daily use, autocross, or collecting, etc. So, please keep that in mind when posting.

If there is any question of what any Alfa club is all about, please read the first post in this thread. It is the "mission statement" for AROC USA and is the very first paragraph in the AROC USA By-Laws. I believe it is MOST appropriate and very well-written.

·
Premium Member
26,814 Posts
AROC-USA Mission Statement

Alex,

Thanks for reposting this. May 2008 be another great year for the club and Alfisti everywhere. It is the club's 50th anniversary this year and our local Mid Atlantic Alfa Romeo Club (MAARC) chapter's 25th anniversary. I have been a member since 1991 and have managed to attend a few national conventions and many local chapter events over the years and have met a lot of mighty fine people who have many varied talents that contribute greatly to the overall success of the club. The cars are what brought us together but the people are the glue that keep us together.

·
Premium Member
900 Posts
I'll second the comments by Alfisto Steve. I've been an AROC member for 22 years and, until our recent move to Connecticut, was very active in the chapter events of NAROC. And a few weeks ago I received the "Most Active Newcomer Award" from AROC-CT.

·
Registered
3,267 Posts
Hear Hear:D
Hear Here:D
Here Here:D
I agree with all so far, except I would modify conedriver's response to say that personal agenda discussions should be kept off ALL threads. (That's what PMs are for!!)
Looking forward to some interesting and constructive comments, responses and conversations.

·
Registered
4,631 Posts
Alfa Romeo Owners' Club -- What's it's all About

Overall, the AROC is a community of Alfisti who enjoy a common interest and share that with their counterparts through technical expertise, sharing of ideas, improvements, likes and dislikes, and the annual conventions. If it could be kept at this level and within the parameters set out in the by-laws that would be wonderful. However, as in every organization there is nothing that is perfect or pristine, including how State and Federal laws affect the operation of the club nationwide as well as world-wide. The more involved you get with either or both the club at the local and/or national levels, new discoveries will be made, some wonderful and some not so wonderful, some based on personal preferences and some based on personalties and their lack of understanding of their personal interpretations of their positions and entailed responsibilities that have the potential to reek havoc on the future of a club that is no longer supported by the manufacturer, is not importing cars, and must work within a budget of dwindling returns with so much available on the Internet and lack of chapters within some regions to service all that may be interested.

My suggestions would be to get their corporate house in order, both budget wise and address their lack of compliance with Federal and State laws world-wide so that the future is not made any more difficult or expensive for them, especially in a time that they are struggling to maintain existing membership, build membership, of new or returning members, and basically survive.

It is a valuable organization that would be a great loss to everyone, but without changes and problems being addressed globally we will see AROC in the U.S., anyway, face the same demise as the Detroit Big Three and the bank failures of late.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Hi, having read the previous posts, I still, am in love with Alfa Romeo Automobiles and the people that own them. I some times swim in the deep end of the pool and get over my head. It would seem to me that if we do not stick together, we will be all out in the cold. If you can see the light at the end of the tunnel, you must be still moving. At the age of eighty years and still able to enjoy my motorcycle and my Veloce spider, it does not make sense to not gather together and enjoy that which we all love. Thems my thoughts..
ciao.

·
Registered
14 Posts
How do I join AROC? Does it have a secret handshake? :D ... Any idea on how many AROC members are in Ohio?

·
Registered
3,267 Posts
Newbie -
The AROC website is AROC-USA.org. From there you can sign up, pay your dues, and affiliate with the most local chaper in proximity to you. Or call the number, and ask Jolene for the approximate membership numbers of the Ohio chapters, which are multiple.
Hope this helps -
(and welcome to the club!!) :D

1 - 14 of 14 Posts