Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
766 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is a few pictures of the latest batch of Cylinder Head Seals for the Alfa Montreal. The OEM Part Number is: 105.55.05.128.00 and the Seals are used on 1) The Spica Drive 2) the Distributor Drive and 3) on the Blanking Plate at the rear of the Cylinder Heads. The can also be used on the Alfa 2000, and 1900 I believe. Contact me if you need some Seals. They have been Thermo Cycled and are ready for use. The Seal material is impervious to Oil and Fuel and will withstand up to 400 degrees F. They are much better than the old "rubber" type that hardened with age and sometimes cracked and leaked. Send me a PM or e-mail me at: [email protected]

Karl Robertson
Michigan 48302
USA
248) 766 9141

Thank you!!!

Attachments

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
Out of interest....are these made for you specifically? or did you manage to land a good source for these? If the former, I'd like to ask about the possibility of having different seals made. If the latter....good find!

·
Registered
766 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have developed these seals, had the tooling made and make the Seals. If you need some let me know.
If you are looking to have some other Seals made, let me know. I may be able to do them for you. I will also need details and a sample. Thanks.

Karl Robertson

[email protected]
248)766 9141

·
Registered
766 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I still have some Seals left for sale. They are the replacement for the 105.55.05.128.00 Let me know if you need a Set of 3 for a Montreal or 1 for the 1900 and 2000 models. Thank you.

·
Registered
766 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Another Set of 3 Seals has been Sold. Please let me know if you are interested in a Set of 3 for a Montreal, or Single Seals for the 1900 and 2000 models. Thank you.

·
Premium Member
73 Posts
Karl,

Just received a set of your "o" ring seals. Quality looks excellent. Will hold on to these until needed (any comments on best way to store them until needed?).

Thanks.
TexasAlfa

·
Registered
766 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks as always Val. Your positive comments are gratefully accepted. Especially from a fellow Montreal Owner. Cheers!!!

·
Registered
766 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
There has been a lot of time and effort that has gone into developing these Seals for the Montreal. I am still quite a ways short of covering the cost of tooling. If you think that you may be needing a Set of Seals for your car, please consider ordering them now. Thank you.

Karl Robertson

·
Push hard and live
9,171 Posts
Karl,

An update....

AFRA didn’t ship as promised, and when I inquired, they said that, upon pulling the items from stock, they found them to be hardened and unserviceable. As this is AFRA, it’s not surprising if they had 50 year old components in stock. It would also not be surprising if they found an empty bin box and made up the hardened story.

They claim to have ordered new stock, but...... this is AFRA.

I’m going to write them in a few days and ask for a projected ship date, and if they can’t or won’t provide that, I’ll ask for a refund on my prepayment.

This will trigger another couple of AFRA’s policies; never admit a mistake, and never refund money.

At this point, it is still entertaining.

·
Registered
766 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I cannot comment on your AFRA experience to date. All I can say is that I too tried to get Seals from them, and getting no response from them whatsoever, decided to embark on developing my own Seals.
So here we are today, at least the Seals are available for those who may need them when the time comes. My Seals will not deteriorate over time.
Val,
As far as storing these, I would suggest storing them on a flat surface without too much variation in temperature would be a good way. Having said that, I must admit that the temperature variations in an engine are much more extreme than anything you will encounter in your garage or on the shelf. If you have a small plastic container like Tupperware or something similar, that should be fine.

·
Registered
766 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Alfa Romeo Montreal - Cylinder Head Seals

Hello Val,
In retrospect, I would add, put them in a Ziploc Bag before you store them Flat. Temperature notwithstanding, keeping Seals like these flat just ensures their performance after installation. Cheers!

Attachments

·
Registered
766 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hello fellow Montreal Owners!
Some of us here on the Montreal Forum have tried to support fellow owners by developing and making in limited numbers, some almost impossible to find parts for the cars. I for one know how hard they have been to find. I am quite surprised by the response or lack of interest in some of the things I know are absolutely necessary in the upkeep of these cars. No one will make a fortune out of this cottage industry, what I am surprised at is the seeming lack of interest...!
Don't get me wrong, some parts and tools have been very popular, like the Head Nut Tool and the Steering Reinforcement Plate Kits. On the other hand, the Cylinder Head Seals Pt. No: 105.55.05.128.00 have hardly had any interest. Strange, because I know that any work on the engine, top end or complete overhaul will need these seals. I cannot see how you can re-build an engine without replacing these seals. unless you fill up the cavities with some sort of silicon cement! Just curious myself as these Seals are also used in the 1900 and 2000 models.
Please feel free to share your thoughts....

·
Registered
766 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I have sent out another set of three (3) Cylinder Head Seals to Europe last week. I have 3 Sets remaining at this time. Anyone re-building your engine will find you need some. Trying to resurrect your old seals, runs the risk of at best a seepage in the cylinder head in any one of the three places the seals are used. I tried that myself a while back and no matter how carefully I reassembled the cylinder head, after a while there was leak. Used to drive me nuts! Finally decided to go for it and tool up. The added advantage is that the material we are now using is far superior to the "old" rubber type. Temperature wise and durability wise. Can withstand up to 350 degrees F.

·
Registered
766 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Alfa Romeo Montreal - Cylinder Head Seals

A Set of three (3) Seals has been sent off to Belgium. Hopefully, Phillippe will be able to put together a dry engine assembly with the help of these Seals. Let me know how you go Phillippe. Thank you.

Anyone needs some let me know please and spread the word around to your fellow Alfa owners. A lot of people are not aware that these are now available. I'd like to think this is like a few other things that help keep our Montreal's going.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,463 Posts
Hello Karl,

I would like a set of Montreal seals.
Please advise at: alberto.guirola at gmail.com

Regards, Alberto

1 - 20 of 23 Posts