Alfa Romeo Forums banner

Alfa Romeo Montreal Rear glass Solution

Tags
montreal
7K views 32 replies 21 participants last post by  1750GT 
#1 ·
Hi all I too am looking for a Montreal rear tailgate / boot glass, However might have found a solution for all you people hunting one as a spare or to put one back on your car. I spoke to Pilkington Glass (U.K) who have a Classic car department and one of there team adviced me that they could reproduce a rear window glass but first needed an original template and a minimum order of 5. I need one so that's 4 left so if there will be enough interest to commission these then get in touch

#2 ·
I'll be hugely disappointed if you don't get 10 firm commitments for Pilkington.

I exchanged a few emails with Richard a few years ago, but never got much interest from him. They're a solid group. If you have a Montreal, you should whip out your credit card and buy a rear glass. AND a front glass. They won't be available forever, and there will be that sudden moment you wish you already had a spare of each. With Montreal's appreciating so nicely, just ask yourself what price you'd get with it having a cracked rear (or front) glass.

Reactions: Pino F
#5 · (Edited)
Over the years, I've organized a variety of group projects to fabricate NLA parts, both for old Alfas and old airplanes. The story is always the same. 10 or 20 claim they want in. 3 to 5 send their money in advance. I make 6 or 7 pieces to fill the prepaid orders, and have 1 or 2 left over for my personal use. A week after the production is complete, I'll get a call from someone asking if it's too late to get one of the items. If I have one more than I need, I offer to sell it to him at the same cost as everyone else. He then says "will you take $xxx?", which is less than I paid to have them made.

Over the next couple of years, I'll continue to get calls from the rest of the 10 or 20 people that originally expressed a need. "Do you still have any of those widgets?" Of course, the answer is usually "no", and another vehicle goes inactive for want of a repair.

Generally, I've only played with low-production stuff. Usually with, at most, a few hundred remaining in the world. The Montreal fits that description. I'm astonished that an owner wouldn't just automatically buy ANYTHING unique to the Monty that came on the market. It's small money on the shelf that never loses value.

PS... I just got an email from a fellow needing a set of piston rings for the same type aircraft in my header. I ran a production of them about 15 years ago, and this guy knew about it. Didn't think he needed any. I sold the last of them over 10 years ago. This guy's airplane is now grounded, and HE is the organizer of a well known vintage aircraft aerobatic competition. He's likely to miss his own big event. I think a set of rings was about $80.

#8 ·
interesting that the minimum order from pilkington is 5 since when I enquired last year about a different alfa they did not ask for a minimum amount and was assured they could reproduce anything according to their extensive database/files without needing any design template. Maybe they changed their policy.
Bear in mind also that sure a glass is better then none but they would reproduce with modern glass to the same spec but it will not be the same as the original glass produced in Italy.

#10 ·
Hi All and thanks for all your interest in the Alfa Montreal rear boot lid / tailgate glass from Pilkingtons (U.K) having spoken to them again yes it's true they will only do a minimum order run and do need a template or accurate measurements, so if there is anyone out there with this information and /or even a smashed boot lid to which the frame could be borrowed for egsate fitment, as for now prices arnt confirmed but will be in the region of around £500-600+ vat GBP each which for an obsolete part is reasonable (Ps they already make the front windscreen) so anyone's help in finding the original measurements / template would be great .

#12 ·
Hi I would be tempted too have one as a spare too. I am about 30 minutes drive from the Pilkington factory here in Kent, England. I did speak to the guys there when I picked my front windscreen up last year about making rear screens. They didn't like the idea of the bolt holes in the glass and they said the rear demister was a no too. It might just be the person i spoke to was a bit of a 'no' man. If they need to measure some things they could with it still fixed to my car if that helps. Otherwise if has anyone asked if Chris Slade has some spare glass we could borrow to get it copied? I could pick it up in my 159 and take it to the pilkington factory. Anyway just a thought. I imagine there are quite a few UK owners who wouldn't mind new or spare glass in general.

Cheers
Peter

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

#13 ·
Nowadays, no one uses templates anymore. I would suggest getting the Spare Glass "Scanned" (a simple cloud scan can be done, depending on where you are) and a Surface File made from it. It used to be very expensive a long time ago, but not now. Any Engineering Design Services company who have a Faro Arm, or a Cloud Scanner can do it. The Surface File will show all the details - Holes, De-frost Elements, Edge details. Pilkington or whoever you choose to make the replacement glass Mold will take that to get their "Form" made. It could be a Male or Female form depending on their process for a limited volume glass. Believe me, I have been in the automotive design business for longer than I want to remember, so I know what I am talking about here.
I see 156&gtv6 has a glass. There must be a small engineering firm near you in Kent or somewhere in the UK near by. I would not go to the big engineering firms because they will probably not want to do such a small job, and quote you a high price to Scan the Backlite.
I am interested to hear the outcome. If it was here in Michigan, I know a number of places where this could be done, including the "Surfacing" from the Scan Data.

#14 ·
Romski
I too would be interested in a spare rear glass and also live in England, my glass is still intact but as Don says a spare one is no ill store. My car will hopefully be going to the paint shop soon for a respray when the rear window and frame will be removed ....so just in case! So when you get a price please let me know.
Regards Geoff

#18 ·
I am also in for one, and if it can be shipped together I'll take a front windshield too.

Please keep me informed.

Pino

#23 ·
#26 ·
Hi guy's!
Can someone make this easy for us old blokes? Where can I see a sample, get a price and put my name down for a part?
There are links and names and too much information to even see a sample of the Front Windscreen and the Rear Glass.Some help here please...? Just post a couple of images.

#27 ·
Check out this link below... Should take you direct to Bertelsbeck's Montreal glazing page in their catalog.
If it doesn't, the Bertelsbeck website is: my-alfa.com. On the home page (may come up in German, but you can select other languages) select Parts, select Montreal, select Body, select Glazing.

Alfa Romeo MONTREAL GLAZING

E-mail is info@my-alfa.com. I've been working with Stefan Otto. Hope this helps.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.